• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who do you want at #6?

NBASupes

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do you believe in this guy so strongly?  You would think that we just came off of a championship run with the amount of support Travis receives around here.  His teams have been garbage!  Save the praise for GM's who deserve it!

He has arguably the best draft resume of any GM over the last 3 years. Despite your belief that 2nd round picks are the most important thing.

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Sigh. Not this again.

Travis has done exactly what his immediate charge was. Get to the lottery and get the foundation and building block pieces to start a rebuild. Done!

Now comes the next phase...building towards winning and 1.getting in the playoffs and 2. Compete for a championship. 

And I'm tired of hearing this team did this and that....we're not them. There is no magic wand, there is no one size fits all approach that works for all teams.

If you want to talk wins/losses - this ain that the last 2 years.

He'll have a chance to prove his overall philosophy this upcoming season.

3 minutes ago, High5 said:

He has arguably the best draft resume of any GM over the last 3 years. Despite your belief that 2nd round picks are the most important thing.

Don't feed it!

Edited by marco102
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
Just now, High5 said:

Where are the results? At some point, your team has to win basketball games!  Miami's young players have far outperformed Atlanta's draft picks last year.  Neither picks last year made the all rookie team so how can those picks be rated higher than pick receiving far more recognition?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Where are the results? At some point, your team has to win basketball games!  Miami's young players have far outperformed Atlanta's draft picks last year.  Neither picks last year made the all rookie team so how can those picks be rated higher than pick receiving far more recognition?

Simple question - are you happy with Collins, Trae, Huerter, Reddish and Hunter as the building blocks of the Hawks going forward?

Yes or No? 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do you believe in this guy so strongly?  You would think that we just came off of a championship run with the amount of support Travis receives around here.  His teams have been garbage!  Save the praise for GM's who deserve it!

I've already shared my views on why second picks are gambles and should not be the standard for judging someone's drafting acumen.  So here are my grades for what he has done with our first round picks:

#19 - Grade:  A+ John Collins - Best possible pick.  Potential All-Star.

#3 - Grade:  A+ Trae Young & Cam Reddish - All-NBA level from Young.  Only potential argument is Luka and both are home runs.  Cam - High potential who has already shown substantial development.  All-Star potential with almost certain two-way impact starter outcome.

#19 - Grade: A  Kevin Huerter - Lower ceiling on Huerter than the aforementioned picks which is a backhanded compliment to those picks.  Huerter looks like he will be either a limited starter or plus reserve providing primarily floor stretching shooting along with the ability to drive and pass.

#8, 17 - Grade: B- DeAndre Hunter - Both picks (along with a 2nd who became Marcos Louzada Silva) were converted into this trade up.  This is the first selection he has made where I think you could go back and make a good case for a better outcome with 20/20 hindsight, particularly if you slot Brandon Clarke in at #17.  That said, Hunter still looks like a potential versatile and plus defender who can contribute on the offensive end of the floor which is a very valuable piece for team building.  Hunter will surely continue to develop and there is enough upside here that I don't waste a lot of time wondering what could have been.  Hunter was always projected to take a year or so to adjust to playing the wing after working as a college PF.  His completion of that development will be key to a final grade for him and if he does it then he could still end up being more important than anything we would have gotten keeping the picks.  (I use "would" here since I tend to think that if you cherrypick a few years from now with 20/20 hindsight you'll be able to put together a better pair of selections than what we get from Hunter alone.)

I call that a stellar drafting record with our picks so if TS believes strongly in a player then I'm good with that.  If I was the owner, I'd hire my GM to make these calls and give them the authority to execute on their vision until I decide to fire them.  The strongest element of TS's resume  to date is his drafting ability.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Simple question - are you happy with Collins, Trae, Huerter, Reddish and Hunter as the building blocks of the Hawks going forward?

Yes or No? 

I don't know...Sounds ok in theory but it hasn't materialized on the court.  Maybe its the coaching staff!😎 but all I know is that group was regularly getting blown out by teams just as young like the Pels, Griz, Cadavers, and Bulls.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I've already shared my views on why second picks are gambles and should not be the standard for judging someone's drafting acumen.  So here are my grades for what he has done with our first round picks:

#19 - Grade:  A+ John Collins - Best possible pick.  Potential All-Star.

#3 - Grade:  A+ Trae Young & Cam Reddish - All-NBA level from Young.  Only potential argument is Luka and both are home runs.  Cam - High potential who has already shown substantial development.  All-Star potential with almost certain two-way impact starter outcome.

#19 - Grade: A  Kevin Huerter - Lower ceiling on Huerter than the aforementioned picks which is a backhanded compliment to those picks.  Huerter looks like he will be either a limited starter or plus reserve providing primarily floor stretching shooting along with the ability to drive and pass.

#8, 17 - Grade: B- DeAndre Hunter - Both picks (along with a 2nd who became Marcos Louzada Silva) were converted into this trade up.  This is the first selection he has made where I think you could go back and make a good case for a better outcome with 20/20 hindsight, particularly if you slot Brandon Clarke in at #17.  That said, Hunter still looks like a potential versatile and plus defender who can contribute on the offensive end of the floor which is a very valuable piece for team building.  Hunter will surely continue to develop and there is enough upside here that I don't waste a lot of time wondering what could have been.  Hunter was always projected to take a year or so to adjust to playing the wing after working as a college PF.  His completion of that development will be key to a final grade for him and if he does it then he could still end up being more important than anything we would have gotten keeping the picks.

I call that a stellar drafting record with our picks so if TS believes strongly in a player then I'm good with that.  If I was the owner, I'd hire my GM to make these calls and give them the authority to execute on their vision until I decide to fire them.  The strongest element of TS's resume  to date is his drafting ability.  

Why are you giving A's to players that didn't even make the all rookie team or any rookie teams?  Just curious?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't know...Sounds ok in theory but it hasn't materialized on the court.  Maybe its the coaching staff!😎 but all I know is that group was regularly getting blown out by teams just as young like the Pels, Griz, Cadavers, and Bulls.

Have these teams accomplished anything we haven't ? 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Let me know which of those teams were starting and playing 5/6 guys 22 and younger the bulk of the minutes.

• Like 2

I don't understand why some just high jack threads with their agenda and we fall for it.  If you want to discuss something other than who you want to select at 6, create a separate thread.  Point blank simple. I don't care if I get a warning for this one, but it makes no sense for this to keep happening even though we have threads to discuss Travis and Lloyd!

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I don't understand why some just high jack threads with their agenda and we fall for it.  If you want to discuss something other than who you want to select at 6, create a separate thread.  Point blank simple. I don't care if I get a warning for this one, but it makes no sense for this to keep happening even though we have threads to discuss Travis and Lloyd!

Sorry.  I want who ever Travis picks :spiteful:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I don't understand why some just high jack threads with their agenda and we fall for it.  If you want to discuss something other than who want to select at 6, create a separate thread.  Point blank simple. I don't care if I get a warning for this one, but it makes no sense for this to keep happening even though we have threads to discuss Travis and Lloyd!

Sorry, I just had to ask the question to @AHF of our draft pick when he implicitly trust Travis Schlenk to make the right move.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why are you giving A pluses to players that didn't even make the all rookie team or any rookie teams?  Just curious?

I gave 2 A+ ratings:

(1) 2017 #19 Pick - John Collins - Made the All-Rookie team.  Best possible pick at that selection.  I expect him to be an All-Star at some point.  Amazing value for a #19 selection.

(2) 2018 #3 Pick - Trae Young - Made the All-Rookie team.  Started 2020 All-Star game.  Solid case for All-NBA as a sophmore.  Bonus Pick- Cam Reddish.  High upside.  Terrible start to the year after being injured hurt his chances at all-rookie.  I'd absolutely rather have him than several of the other top 10 rookies from this season.  If you asked me to redraft the 2019 draft based on what I know now, I don't think there was a single player I would take at #10 or lower in the draft over Cam.  That is a statement of my confidence for his future, not arguing that he was better than Clarke this season.

Do you rate what we got from either of those picks anything lower than an A?

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

I gave 2 A+ ratings:

(1) 2017 #19 Pick - John Collins - Made the All-Rookie team.  Best possible pick at that selection.  I expect him to be an All-Star at some point.  Amazing value for a #19 selection.

(2) 2018 #3 Pick - Trae Young - Made the All-Rookie team.  Started 2020 All-Star game.  Solid case for All-NBA as a sophmore.  Bonus Pick- Cam Reddish.  High upside.  Terrible start to the year after being injured hurt his chances at all-rookie.  I'd absolutely rather have him than several of the other top 10 rookies from this season.  If you asked me to redraft the 2019 draft based on what I know now, I don't think there was a single player I would take at #10 or lower in the draft over Cam.  That is a statement of my confidence for his future, not arguing that he was better than Clarke this season.

Do you rate what we got from either of those picks anything lower than an A?

We all hope Reddish is better than what he has shown thus far but I don't see the upside yet.  Love John and his mentality.  Like Trae and his work ethic but there are obvious flaws in his game that he refuses to address.  I'll give Doncic credit for 1 thing, He plays winning basketball while Trae does not.  Doncic looks like a seasoned vet out there while Trae looks like he is trying to make the highlight play for ESPN.  The jury is still out on Huerter.  He is so 1 dimensional and hasn't improved.  I like Hunter because he is a smart player but he has to learn how to finish around the basket and play better defense something that I know that he is capable of. 

• Moderators

draft_063006_600.jpg

Yeah i trust Travis.   I think we all need to prepared that this offseason isn't going to have some big homerun of a move.  We're growing the guys we have to be stars.   I know that's not what a lot want to hear.   

I do we make a draft day trade either to move up for better talent or move down to acquire talent.    In years past there would be zero hope of that.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He drafted a superstar and an AS level player already. If Cam and Hunter develop that could be two more AS level players for us. We didn't give up too much to get Capela who was a necessity for us.

I'm not ready to give Travis an A+ here but he's definitely a solid A  or at least a B+ so far.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, Sothron said:

He drafted a superstar and an AS level player already. If Cam and Hunter develop that could be two more AS level players for us. We didn't give up too much to get Capela who was a necessity for us.

I'm not ready to give Travis an A+ here but he's definitely a solid A  or at least a B+ so far.

What Superstar has he drafted?