• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Training Camp and Preseason 2020.

JayBirdHawk

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I think his draft board had Deni higher and agree using regret means he thought we may have made a mistake.    I don’t think he ever said that view was based on a single preseason game.  Just used that as a jumping off point to share that view.

@bleachkit is on now and can clarify

Yes it's basically a draft prognostication. I like Deni's 3 level scoring along with guard skills in a 6'9" frame. It's unique and it fits today's game. OO does have one of the highest floors though. I would be very surprised if OO didn't have a solid career.

22 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yes it's basically a draft prognostication. I like Deni's 3 level scoring along with guard skills in a 6'9" frame. It's unique and it fits today's game. OO does have one of the highest floors though. I would be very surprised if OO didn't have a solid career.

That still goes back to fit and playing time.  Would Deni get minutes in the next two years to develop?  There's a lot more than just best player available based on skillset.  The Hawks have Deni's skillset covered with Gallo now and in the future hopefully Cam. 

OO fit a need and is better to help the Hawks in the future based on his projected defensive potential.  Deni may turn out to be a good defender, but I believe OO will be a much better defender and pretty good offensively.  

To me, even though Deni may be more skilled, OO was a better fit for the team and their needs while balancing upside.

Edited by marco102

18 hours ago, marco102 said:

What do you mean by this? Based off one preseason game where teams are just working on sets and specific aspects of their game plan? 

Not saying Deni isn't going to be good, but to say the Hawks are going to regret not drafting Deni off one preseason game seems a bit premature.  You've yet to see OO play.  He should have a much bigger impact on the defensive end long term and his offense should not be terrible. 

Just doesn't seem practical to say the team will "regret" passing on him. 

Yeah folks better wait until teams start game planning for him before they go overboard..And I was high on Deni..

6 hours ago, marco102 said:

Yeah, very true, but maybe he's a bust after watching him during the season.  Shouldn't take preseason games and project much about these draft picks is all I'm saying.  

Any reasonable person understands that.  When they start performing in the season and even the next few years, that's when we can start talking about regrets. If Deni goes for an 0er I'm not going to come on here and say Man the Hawks really dodged a bullet by not drafting Deni. 

That's silly based on preseason games. 

Just look at Toppin game 1 vs game 2..He was all world after the 1st preseason game, then some Knicks fans were bashing the pick after he went 2-9 in game 2. lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Possibly. I think Hali is going to be really good. Great value at #12 for sure.

You should've just said the Hawks might regret passing on everybody they passed on...lol

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There was some discussion on calling his signature shoe the “Ice Trae,” his nickname, but Young and adidas decided against it because he wants to remembered as “Trae Young” instead of “Ice Trae” when his career is over, and “Ice Trae might not sound as cool 20 years from now,” his dad said. His dad, however, did hint that there might be an “Ice Trae” version of the shoe.

Expect to see unique designs with his shoes that appeal to younger kids, much like what Irving and Nike have done. Irving’s SpongeBob and cereal lines were mega hits. Young’s 10-year-old brother, Timothy, has given his feedback to his older brother on what he wants to see with his shoes, and Young said that a lot of what he has told adidas he wants in his shoes has come from Timothy.

“He’s very involved because a lot of the people who will be buying them are my little brother’s age — 10, 11 years old,” Young said. “That’s that next generation. I have motivation in making the shoe even better because I do have a little brother who will be representing them, too.”

14 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

And they’re doing well without Jaren Jackson. It’s just preseason, but that’s interesting to watch. 

They always do good without JJJ. He hasn't been anywhere near the impact as the media wants to make him into. 

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

They always do good without JJJ. He hasn't been anywhere near the impact as the media wants to make him into. 

Huh? There's a reason why they dropped from the 8th seed after JJJ went down in the bubble. 

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Huh? There's a reason why they dropped from the 8th seed after JJJ went down in the bubble. 

There was a combination of reasons there:

• JJJ went down
  • Brandon Clarke went down
  • they jettisoned key vets in Solomon Hill and Jae Crowder

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

According to Dillon Brooks, JJJ has grown 2 to 3 inches 🙄🙄. Highly, highly doubt that.

Sometimes, boys, young men, before age 21 will have a final growth spurt.  Even with the one year out of high school rule, several players are drafted who fall into this group.

Don't worry.  When you get old, you shrink.  I know this for a fact!

😜

1 minute ago, Gray Mule said:

Sometimes, boys, young men, before age 21 will have a final growth spurt.  Even with the one year out of high school rule, several players are drafted who fall into this group.

Don't worry.  When you get old, you shrink.  I know this for a fact!

😜

Ok so JJJ should be showing up 7'2". I'll take the under.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

According to Dillon Brooks, JJJ has grown 2 to 3 inches 🙄🙄. Highly, highly doubt that.

Even if he has, he's soft, fouls too much, uncoordinated as ever and the growth won't help for that either, just makes it worse. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

That's because Ja is a monster..lol. Doesn't matter who's out there..

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Even if he has, he's soft, fouls too much, uncoordinated as ever and the growth won't help for that either, just makes it worse. 

I thought you wanted him over Collins when that trade was mentioned? You must really hate Johns game..lol

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 1