• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Training Camp and Preseason 2020.

JayBirdHawk

Just now, terrell said:

I thought you wanted him over Collins when it was mentioned? lol

For us. Yes, because he's switchable defensively and just shoots threes. Not because I think highly of him. I actually like him less than JC overall and I think JC is better. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

For us. Yes, because he's switchable defensively and just shoots threes. Not because I think highly of him. I actually like him less than JC overall and I think JC is better. 

Collins shot better from 3 last season than JJJ....Just sayin.

Edited by terrell

JC is easily better than JJJ. It's just that, I would rather JJJ for our team. In the same way, I want JC over JJJ if I am Memphis. The thing is, Memphis thinks JJJ has a lot more potential and I don't see it. JC might not have obvious potential but he always gets better and he's highly productive. 

• Like 1

I don’t know what the Memphis FO thinks but I know fans talk about JJJ like he’s got  prime Garnett potential and......naw, just naw....

Maybe Boston Garnett but it’s maddening how they throw the P word around with him, then somehow attribute his 3point shooting demonstrating how much he’ll improve in rebounding, passing, shot creation, basically anything basketball related.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MaceCase said:

I don’t know what the Memphis FO thinks but I know fans talk about JJJ like he’s got  prime Garnett potential and......naw, just naw....

Maybe Boston Garnett but it’s maddening how they throw the P word around with him, then somehow attribute his 3point shooting demonstrating how much he’ll improve in rebounding, passing, shot creation, basically anything basketball related.

The most overrated player in the NBA by far compared to his reality.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't like the sound of this.  'Fair and reasonable' from the owner basically points the finger back at JC's camp.    Let's pay the man.  

Also, really bothers me he calls John a kid -- the man is 23 years old.  It just feels a little disrespectful or condescending at the least.  It's becoming clear to me the Hawks really wanted to trade John this offseason but the deal fell through, and now they are unclear what to do.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Also, really bothers me he calls John a kid -- the man is 23 years old.  It just feels a little disrespectful or condescending at the least.  It's becoming clear to me the Hawks really wanted to trade John this offseason but the deal fell through, and now they are unclear what to do.

Agree totally.  This is Resseler's problem.  He didn't learn from the Sap debacle he created.   He needs to not comment on negotiations.  

This is the first big contract of the Trae Young era.  We shouldn't be screwing it up.   I understand we don't want to be stuck with a big overpay but at some point that's going to happen.  We need to get this right and overpaying Collins won't be the end of the world.  

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Ressler's 60.

I'm 57.

My mom's 86, and still refers to me as her "kid."

When she calls me "good," which thankfully does happen on occasion, it's totally taken as a compliment.

For what it matters.

I don't think he had any ill intent but it's different if you're 23 and your boss who's trying to negotiate down your pay calls you a kid.   The whole quote makes it sound like he's doing John a favor.   "I hope WE can figure out... FOR him".     I think it's just engrained in these guys.    Hey dude, I hope you can find some money somewhere to pay one of your top guys.  If you don't someone will.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, sturt said:

Ressler's 60.

I'm 57.

My mom's 86, and still refers to me as her "kid."

When she calls me "good," which thankfully does happen on occasion, it's totally taken as a compliment.

For what it matters.

I can't speak for John himself but most ppl I know that are my age (33) or younger do not like being called kid by someone other than their parents.  I should listen to the actual interview if it's available, but the text of it feels a little backhanded/condescending, particularly in the context of their negotiation (trying to get him to accept less money).  If he called him a kid after John signed a max deal, it'd be different because he just showed that he respects Collins and gave him a max.  Calling him a kid while trying to underpay him is different.

• Premium Member

There's no reason to commit to John early unless it's at a discount. For the first time in his career, playing a major role, he's surrounded by quality depth. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he takes a statistical step back due to all the other talent now with us. I'm not against a large payout or max, but I am against doing it early. We only get two max deals to give out, Trae is clearly one, but is John the second? If he is, he'd have to earn it from me. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

do not like being called kid

If he called him a "kid," we'd agree. That feels condescending.

He called him a "good kid." Words have meaning. Including adjectives.

The whole of the phrase says "I think highly of this person who is younger than me."

Non-issue.

• Like 4