• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who would you like to see as the next head coach of the Atlanta Hawks?

Wurider05

• Premium Member

He did not, in the end, join a staff for this season, but now Payton says something is in the works and that could change shortly. He was coy with specifics, but when asked, he told me about his desire to coach, “It is still the case. I got a surprise coming for a lot of people pretty soon. I don’t want to announce it right now, but you’ll see it pretty soon in the next couple of weeks, I hope everybody will be excited about it.”

Vague, for sure, but it seems that Payton could find his way onto an NBA bench for the first time since he left the game in 2007—and soon. He didn’t name any teams, but Payton has said he would like to work with young players, and logical speculation would hold that he could land in Atlanta to mentor star guard Trae Young. Payton’s old teammate and close friend, Nate McMillan, took over the Hawks job after Lloyd Pierce was fired this week.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm with it.

He is a lot of talk, but maybe some edge could rub off on our youngins.

He'd be the type of coach to pull a guy to the side, look him eye to eye and say with a straight face "You playing like a b*tch right now. Grow a pair and man the F up!" Lol 

Our locker room definitely would upgrade from a PG rating to a hard R-rating overnight lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GP from Oaktown, homeboy and one of my fav non Hawks ever. I think he had more influence on my trash talking 🏀 game than any Hawk did, well, him and Mookie 😃 and the Sputnik!!!! 

Bring him in, he’s gonna be perfect for Trae and Cam, build them up, specially on that defensive end and put some straight dog 🐶 in them! Hell yes please!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

You playing like a b*tch right now. Grow a pair and man the F up!" Lol 

Preach!  Love GP! I remember being so pissed the Sonics got into the top 3 in the lottery that year, their odds were around our odds at 10 or 11th spot and they got 2nd and took this beautiful Oregon state by way of Oaktown baby Mr. Mean. 

Sonics were my 2nd fav team if I would have had one in the 90’s and even before with Dale Ellis and co. in the 80’s. 

Holla at the homeboy!

35 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I'm with it.

He is a lot of talk, but maybe some edge could rub off on our youngins.

He'd be the type of coach to pull a guy to the side, look him eye to eye and say with a straight face "You playing like a b*tch right now. Grow a pair and man the F up!" Lol 

Our locker room definitely would upgrade from a PG rating to a hard R-rating overnight lol

We just saw how our locker room responded to CLP's tough love, how do you think they would take to this? They would not being able to handle it. 

20 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Preach!  Love GP! I remember being so pissed the Sonics got into the top 3 in the lottery that year, their odds were around our odds at 10 or 11th spot and they got 2nd and took this beautiful Oregon state by way of Oaktown baby Mr. Mean. 

Sonics were my 2nd fav team if I would have had one in the 90’s and even before with Dale Ellis and co. in the 80’s. 

Holla at the homeboy!

I bet him and Rondo would get in to a fist fight on the team plane lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

We got a group of softies. Sorry, but we do. In your face coaches will not work here. They will revolt or just tune him out.

Mike D'antoni might work. A brilliant offensive mind and one of the least confrontational coaches in the business.

I think a lot of our players are gonna come to realize what they bucked against under Pierce is exactly what they needed to hear.  And they're gonna come to realize a lot of what he tried to coach out of them is exactly what other coaches are gonna try to coach out of them.

They have some growing up to do otherwise no coach will come here and succeed on any meaningful level.

I still can't get over the gall of Cam freaking Reddish fixing his face to complain about a coach.  Like, how?  When he literally did a double-spinning falling outta bounds layup in a nationally televised game and still got minutes under that coach.  The gall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think a lot of our players are gonna come to realize what they bucked against under Pierce is exactly what they needed to hear.  And they're gonna come to realize a lot of what he tried to coach out of them is exactly what other coaches are gonna try to coach out of them.

They have some growing up to do otherwise no coach will come here and succeed on any meaningful level.

I still can't get over the gall of Cam freaking Reddish fixing his face to complain about a coach.  Like, how?  When he literally did a double-spinning falling outta bounds layup in a nationally televised game and still got minutes under that coach.  The gall.

Cam has some of the worst shooting percentages in NBA, and some of the ugliest shots and turnovers you will ever see. Hey Cam, he's not picking on you, he's trying to save your career. You think NBA teams are going to accept that once you're 24 or 25? Think again.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Still makes me laugh.

Cam needs to grow up but it still doesn’t change the fact that Lloyd was never ready for head coaching gig, he should be a guy that works with players in practice and makes absolutely no game decisions as a head coach.

We want to ignore the fact that he can’t untimely timeouts, challenges that were questionable in the first half of most games (almost as he never grasped the concept of having only one challenge) and his X’s and O’s were YBA drawn up plays.

Does Cam and others need to look in the mirror, sure, but these are absolutely two separate issues and I’m glad the Hawks front office was able to recognize this as most of us did.

No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher- Mr. Miyagi 🥋 

4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Cam needs to grow up but it still doesn’t change the fact that Lloyd was never ready for head coaching gig, he should be a guy that works with players in practice and makes absolutely no game decisions as a head coach.

We want to ignore the fact that he can’t untimely timeouts, challenges that were questionable in the first half of most games (almost as he never grasped the concept of having only one challenge) and his X’s and O’s were YBA drawn up plays.

Does Cam and others need to look in the mirror, sure, but these are absolutely two separate issues and I’m glad the Hawks front office was able to recognize this as most of us did.

No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher- Mr. Miyagi 🥋 

Its two separate issues.

1. We needed a new coach.

2. We had a player mutiny. 

#1 goes away with a firing.

The issues that led to #2 are still here and were just validated by management.  This is the bigger problem, but everyone has been satiated by the 'candy' that the coach firing is.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kg01 said:

Its two separate issues.

1. We needed a new coach.

2. We had a player mutiny. 

#1 goes away with a firing.

The issues that led to #2 are still here and were just validated by management.  This is the bigger problem, but everyone has been satiated by the 'candy' that the coach firing is.

So I said it’s 2 separate issues and you repeat what I said and try to sneak in your agenda. Do you even debate? 🤦‍♀️ 

14 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

but these are absolutely two separate issues

9 hours ago, kg01 said:

Its two separate issues.

🦜 caged one want a cracker? 

Spud: It’s getting dark outside

kg: NO! It’s getting dark outside

😶 

7 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

So I said it’s 2 separate issues and you repeat what I said and try to sneak in your agenda. Do you even debate? 🤦‍♀️ 

I notice you still have chosen not to address the actual issue we have ...

• Moderators
On 3/6/2021 at 10:10 PM, bleachkit said:

We just saw how our locker room responded to CLP's tough love, how do you think they would take to this? They would not being able to handle it. 

I'd just say that I wouldn't rule out a coach with an edge just because the guys eventually tuned out LP.  The same message delivered by different people can be received very differently.  I'm also not certain that it was LP's toughness that guys eventually had enough of.  It may well have been that his refusal to listen to them or certain things he was doing that caused him to lose credibility.  

It might be the case that tough love just won't work best for this group but it also might be that a different messenger would make the difference.  I'm not close enough to the players (duh) to really judge this.  But given what I don't know, I wouldn't say that a group that wouldn't respond to LP necessarily wouldn't respond to Thibs (for example).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I'd just say that I wouldn't rule out a coach with an edge just because the guys eventually tuned out LP.  The same message delivered by different people can be received very differently.  I'm also not certain that it was LP's toughness that guys eventually had enough of.  It may well have been that his refusal to listen to them or certain things he was doing that caused him to lose credibility.  

It might be the case that tough love just won't work best for this group but it also might be that a different messenger would make the difference.  I'm not close enough to the players (duh) to really judge this.  But given what I don't know, I wouldn't say that a group that wouldn't respond to LP necessarily wouldn't respond to Thibs (for example).

If they think they got tough love from Lloyd, just wait till they have spent more time with Nate.  Nate is as regimented and rigid on things as any coach in the game.  He's the type of coach that doesn't want you to have your phone on the bus.  

I'm not convinced the issue is tough love as much as it is Lloyd was coaching one way his first two years and was trying to coach a different way this year.  Hard to put the cat back into the bag.