• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who would you like to see as the next head coach of the Atlanta Hawks?

Wurider05

49 minutes ago, AHF said:

Tough to say.  The pattern I see is him overachieving in the regular season and then losing in the playoffs to an objectively superior roster.  So his losses are very expected even before the series starts.  I'd have to actually rewatch them to give an opinion as to how much Nate could have done better but a lot of those matchups would have taken a near miracle to actually win.  Something like this:

Is Dikembe Mutombo a legend? And what tier is he in? | Sports, Hip Hop &  Piff - The Coli

As a former Sonics fan (they were my Western Conference team), I object to the savagery of this post.  Pure savagery.  Shame on you, sir.  Shame ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Becky for the positive press. She has learned under Pop, but its been during a pretty bad stretch for them as an org. Coaching looks real good with 3 HoF'ers around. Spurs have not set the league on fire in years, and even with Team USA Pop's coaching was not a difference maker. Some of his principles may be a bit dated without a Tim Duncan to execute them.

I prefer not hiring a new coach this time around. The things we lack can all be chalked up to inexperience at HC. Bring in someone with a little clout to coach this not so young anymore roster.

No, making a coaching hire to win the press is the wrong call. The press will do everything to protect her, so when we don't win guess who will get the blame? Trae. 

There's a guy in college who's beaten Duke, UNC, and Kentucky this year.  When's the last time that's been done?  Anybody know who it is?  @AHF? @bird_dirt?  You guys know?

(Disclaimer: I'm absolutely not advocating we hire the guy, just a pure troll-job on our prominent Kentucky guys.)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

There's a guy in college who's beaten Duke, UNC, and Kentucky this year.  When's the last time that's been done?  Anybody know who it is?  @AHF? @bird_dirt?  You guys know?

(Disclaimer: I'm absolutely not advocating we hire the guy, just a pure troll-job on our prominent Kentucky guys.)

Josh Pastner

Maybe it's due to the talent he has had, but one thing that sticks out to me is that Nate's teams typically are slower paced.  He also has never seemed to buy into the analytics of three point shooting is better than mid range shooting.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 9:50 PM, Sothron said:

I want to give Nate a fair shot but Kenny Atkinson is my guy if that doesn't work out.  Dave Joerger also deserves another shot at a HC job.

I like your take a lot. Nate has been known to ruffle the feathers of his players. His offensive scheme is almost non existent as well. What most fans from other teams say about him is he is a good leader, good motivator, he will steal some regular season wins, and he is very structured. Offensively he lets the offense take care of itself. Defensively he expects effort and team defense on every play.

One fan actually called this yesterday. He said don't be surprised if Trae is benched one night for a better match up. He was kidding in a way. But Trae was benched for a long stint to start the 4th. Then I'll be damned if Collins was not benched to close out the 4th.

That is what I mean about ruffling feathers. He chases match ups. Unlike our previous mad scientist coach, Nate knows how to chase ones that favor us. Not vice versa. That is how he steals wins

😀

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Maybe it's due to the talent he has had, but one thing that sticks out to me is that Nate's teams typically are slower paced.  He also has never seemed to buy into the analytics of three point shooting is better than mid range shooting.  

This is why Indy fans wanted him gone. He didn't buy into the modernization of the game to the degree LP. The issue is, LP guys weren't Steph and Klay. It was Trae, Cam, Kev, JC, and Cap. Only Hunter ready for both modern and old game. 

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Hmm.  I'm going to have to think about this.  I'm not sure I'd consider Nate a top 10 coach.  I think he's a steady coach, but I don't think he's a championship level coach.  

I don't think he's championship level too. That's only 3 coaches for me. Pop, Doc, and Rick. Then you got the excellent ones and the very good ones. Nate is in the very good ones boat. 

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

As a former Sonics fan (they were my Western Conference team), I object to the savagery of this post.  Pure savagery.  Shame on you, sir.  Shame ....

Are you trying to be me bro? Sonics were me. 🤦 wow. 

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I don't think he's championship level too. That's only 3 coaches for me. Pop, Doc, and Rick. Then you got the excellent ones and the very good ones. Nate is in the very good ones boat. 

Just off the top of my head: Greg Popovich, Eric Spoelstra, and Mike Budenholzer are the elite coaches in the NBA.  Then I think you move on to Brad Stevens and Rick Carlisle to round out the top 5.  In the 6-10 area, I'd probably have Doc Rivers, Quinn Snyder, and Mike Malone for sure.  You could make an argument that Nate McMillan is in the next tier.  

20 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Just off the top of my head: Greg Popovich, Eric Spoelstra, and Mike Budenholzer are the elite coaches in the NBA.  Then I think you move on to Brad Stevens and Rick Carlisle to round out the top 5.  In the 6-10 area, I'd probably have Doc Rivers, Quinn Snyder, and Mike Malone for sure.  You could make an argument that Nate McMillan is in the next tier.  

One of these things is not like the other.  I won't say he's not a very good coach but I think it's been fairly proven there's something missing with him in-game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

One of these things is not like the other.  I won't say he's not a very good coach but I think it's been fairly proven there's something missing with him in-game.

Nothing is missing with him.  He's great at x's and o's.  He's great at his in game strategy and adjustments.  He's great at player development. 

51 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Nothing is missing with him.  He's great at x's and o's.  He's great at his in game strategy and adjustments.  He's great at player development. 

Objectively, that's been shown to be false numerous times.  Like, comically false.

I can't believe we're having this discussion right now, honestly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

You and your love affair with Bud

Brad is overrated. Nate and Mike Malone are in the same exact tier.  Quinn just keeps improving. 

You like in game coaching too much. There is a lot more than being a true elite coach. 

Edited by NBASupes

28 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Objectively, that's been shown to be false numerous times.  Like, comically false.

I can't believe we're having this discussion right now, honestly.

Bud is an excellent coach but saying he's elite is hilarious. He is as hardheaded as LP.