• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Clarifying the playoff push

thecampster

So 3 games left...Atlanta, Miami and New York all have a 38-31 record.

Head to Head

Atlanta holds the head to head tie breaker with Miami.

Miami holds the head to head tie breaker with NY.

NY hold the head to head tie breaker with ATL.

If all 3 end with the same record, Atl gets the 4th seed as their tie breaker with Miami gives them the division title and thereby the top spot.

If Atlanta loses all 3 games (unlikely) and Boston wins all 3. Atlanta holds that tiebreaker.

If Miami loses all 3 and Boston wins all 3, Miami wins that tiebreaker.

If NY loses all 3 and Boston wins all 3, Boston will hold the tie breaker pushing the Knicks to 7th.

Best / worst case Atlanta 4-6.

Best/Worst case Miami 4-6

Best Worst case NY 4-play in.

Best worst case Boston 6 - play in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators

Thanks.  According to what the NBA released we still haven't clinched top 6.   Supposedly somehow if the Knicks had won then we would have clinched but the Knicks losing Miami clinched and we didn't.   That makes no sense but someone said it had something to do with Charlotte.  I'll find the statement

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

This was before yesterday's games 

If the Hawks lose all 3, NY Loses all 3, Boston wins all 3 we'd be pushed out of the top 6 I believe. I think Rowland included NY in that equation where it doesn't apply to Atlanta.

Charlotte is 5 games behind the Hawks and would have no impact on us.  Boston is 3 games back and technically has impact but only if tied with NY. Atlanta holds a tiebreaker with Boston so this only matters if Atlanta, NY, Boston were all tied.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1

One interesting scenario here is lets pretend Miami wins out, NY wins out and the Hawks finish 2-1.  Atlanta gets the 6th seed and would face Milwaukee.

At full strength, Atlanta is a tougher out against Milwaukee than either the Knicks or Heat. I'd have to think right now that Milwaukee is rooting hard for Atlanta to win out, for the Knicks to stumble.

Even more interesting is all of NY, Mil, ATL, Mia are all getting healthy at the same time.

Injury report for all 4 teams.

ATL - Out Cam Reddish

MIA - Game time decision - Victor Oladipo, Jimmy Butler

MIL - Game time decision - Axel Toupane

NY - Game time decision - Quickley, Burks, Robinson

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

If the Hawks lose all 3, NY Loses all 3, Boston wins all 3 we'd be pushed out of the top 6 I believe. I think Rowland included NY in that equation where it doesn't apply to Atlanta.

Charlotte is 5 games behind the Hawks and would have no impact on us.  Boston is 3 games back and technically has impact but only if tied with NY. Atlanta holds a tiebreaker with Boston so this only matters if Atlanta, NY, Boston were all tied.

Correct.

From what I could find. If we lose out, NY loses out, and Boston wins out, then we have a 3 way tie scenario at 38-34. If that happens, division winner would own tiebreaker 1. That would be none of us. Next is best combined head to head of the 3 teams.

In that instance NY would be 4-2, Boston 3-3, and us last at 2-4.

So that's how we could technically fall to 7th place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Correct.

From what I could find. If we lose out, NY loses out, and Boston wins out, then we have a 3 way tie scenario at 38-34. If that happens, division winner would own tiebreaker 1. That would be none of us. Next is best combined head to head of the 3 teams.

And if a frog had wings it wouldn't land on its butt when it hopped. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Correct.

Add to this Miami owns the edge in any 3 way tie scenario with Boston/NY/ and us because of cumulative record.

Long story short, being swept by NY can come back to haunt us.

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Add to this Miami owns the edge in any 3 way tie scenario with Boston/NY/ and us because of cumulative record.

Long story short, being swept by NY can come back to haunt us.

Miami wouldn't win a 3way tie with Hawks and Knicks. 

20 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Miami wouldn't win a 3way tie with Hawks and Knicks. 

Not win, holds the edge, or I should say that they wouldn't be last. They clinched a playoff spot and we havent because in any combination of 3 they finish in the top 2 so they cannot reach 7th no matter what, but we can. That was my point. Not that they can top us.

Just now, RedDawg#8 said:

Not win, holds the edge, or I should say that they wouldn't be last. They clinched a playoff spot and we havent because in any combination of 3 they finish in the top 2 so they cannot reach 7th no matter what, but we can. That was my point. Not that they can top us.

Which, let me be clear, we can still lose the race for 4th, 5th and the division outright to NY or Miami. We aren't in the clear yet.

We can win out and still drop to 5th if NY wins out and Miami loses a game. Keep all of that in mind right now. Pol saying we control our destiny dont keep in mind a 3-way vs 2-way scenario. 

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Let's just win!  Although i'd almost rather face the Bucks than NY/Miami+refs but maybe i'm paranoid.

Bucks are still flirting with that 2 seed. They hold the tie breaker over BKN too, something to keep an eye on

No chance we lose 3 straight.  It's mainly comforting to know we will get to watch a 7 game series.  With the way our team has been playing it should be a good one. 

I like that we aren't just happy to make the playoffs.  No, we are here to win.  We may even have homecourt the first game.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

One interesting scenario here is lets pretend Miami wins out, NY wins out and the Hawks finish 2-1.  Atlanta gets the 6th seed and would face Milwaukee.

At full strength, Atlanta is a tougher out against Milwaukee than either the Knicks or Heat. I'd have to think right now that Milwaukee is rooting hard for Atlanta to win out, for the Knicks to stumble.

Even more interesting is all of NY, Mil, ATL, Mia are all getting healthy at the same time.

Injury report for all 4 teams.

ATL - Out Cam Reddish

MIA - Game time decision - Victor Oladipo, Jimmy Butler

MIL - Game time decision - Axel Toupane

NY - Game time decision - Quickley, Burks, Robinson

And just like that...Oladipo to have season ending surgery.