• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

8 hours ago, sturt said:

2021-08-10_23-08-37.png

(I just can't even..... giphy.gif    )

2021-08-10_23-03-32.png

Playmaking skills translate..................................Imagine Trae playing with actual NBA talent his rookie year..Would you play Wright over him? lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sothron said:

Young guys looked great. I have to caution people not to take these games too seriously. I'm not saying that to knock our guys or what they are doing out there. Just being honest. We've seen the Dion Glover effect in SL games. I think our two guys are great young players and we got them at a steal where we got them. But I don't expect either to play that much their rookie years. This isn't the rebuilding Hawks anymore. 

Just because a player is older doesnt mean hes the better player...I like Delon, but Haliburton(rookie) clearly outplayed him last season..Just ask Kings fans...lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, niremetal said:

HOLD UP. You mean that the quality of PGs who Deuce Coop will be [guarding/guarded by] in the regular season would be HIGHER than Jordan Bone?

🤯

Oh so now yall care about our pg's defense? lol

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, hazer said:

someone else’s convolution

Is "convolution" the same thing as "definition?"

Maybe just me, but I see nothing "convoluted" in @niremetal defining a bet in a way that purely looks at whether the player earned his way into the #2 role, or just was the default because there were no better alternatives. The earning part would seem to me to get at the heart of the debate--is he that good, or given that the better player had to miss games, was he just the next man up?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, sturt said:

So, two games into Summer League, here's what we know:

Cooper = Trae.

...got it.

So, two games into Summer League, here's what we know:

Cooper = Halliburton.

...got it.

Evidently not. I have to admit I hadn't figured it out yet either, though I realize now I was just fooling myself. So, rather, both BOS and IND have determined that their summer league guys have so impressed that they've relegated the likes of Brown, Tatum, Smart and Sabonis, LeVert and Brogdon to the bench.

More seriously, how can someone not like what they out of Cooper saw versus IND, and to an appreciably lesser but acceptable degree, versus BOS?

Count me intrigued.

But don't hate me because I (and others) have been down this road a couple of times.

Sobriety is a good thing. Getting drunk on first impressions can be a real bummer. Cooper had some success in the SEC, and that's no small thing. He also had some legitimate deficits in the SEC that, in the end, made him the 12th PG selected in the 2021 draft. That doesn't magically just disappear from the profile. Give it time. And higher competition. And most of all, don't set expectations so high now that it makes it more difficult for him to impress later--that happens, and a lot.

Yup what's annoying is that the same ppl saying he's going to outplay Wright and be Halliburton will be the first to give up on him if he plays like a second round pick this year. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Is "convolution" the same thing as "definition?"

Maybe just me, but I see nothing "convoluted" in @niremetal defining a bet in a way that purely looks at whether the player earned his way into the #2 role, or just was the default because there were no better alternatives. The earning part would seem to me to get at the heart of the debate--is he that good, or given that the better player had to miss games, was he just the next man up?

Yep.  This is a totally fair way to do the bet, imo @hazer.  All it does is say that if we end up with him as the backup in the way that Vince Carter became our starting Power Forward (i.e., that was JC's position but he was out due to suspension and injury) can't be the reason you win.  If Coop earns it at any point in the season seems like you win the bet.  Not sure why you wouldn't take this one.

Coop getting a little summer league recognition. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2947115-grading-cade-cunningham-jalen-green-breakout-players-at-nba-summer-league

Breakout Player Watch: Sharife Cooper Already Looks Like a Caps-Lock STEAL

5 OF 5

68f79f673d96a1b4c51f97c843351611_crop_ex
Bart Young/Getty Images

Loads of people were shocked Sharife Cooper fell all the way to the Atlanta Hawks at No. 48.

Sure, he knocked down just 35.0 percent of his two-point jumpers and 22.8 percent of his threes at Auburn, per Hoop-Math. And yes, he's "only" 6'1". But transcendent orchestration out of the pick-and-roll is hard to find, and he forecasts as someone who provides it. Bleacher Report's Jonathan Wasserman had him coming off the board at No. 24 in his final mock.

Still, Cooper's draft-day fall implied more concerns about his potential effectiveness at the NBA level. Never mind that he converted 82.5 percent of his free throws. The outside shooting was, it seems, a red flag many teams weren't willing to overlook.

And it appears that's going to be great news for the Hawks.

After uncorking only one three-point attempt (and missing it) in his summer league debut, Cooper made five of his eight deep balls against the Pacers on Tuesday, including what proved to be the game-winning bucket from the right corner—a shot Trae Young loved so much he (illegally) stormed the court once it hit the bottom of the net.

"You tell me I can't do something, you best believe I'm working on it," Cooper told NBA TV's Dennis Scott afterward.

A singular detonation in an exhibition game isn't prognostic or all-revealing. But Cooper's accuracy in college at the foul line always suggested he could reach a higher level from the perimeter. If he even sniffs league-average efficiency and volume from behind the rainbow, Atlanta will have likely bagged the biggest steal of the entire draft.

Whether Cooper gets the opportunity to overturn his outside limitations in the regular season remains to be seen. The Hawks fancy themselves fringe contenders and have Lou Williams, Delon Wright and even Bogdan Bogdanovic to pilot the second-unit offense. Twenty-year-olds also seldom factor into the rotation of should-be playoff locks. Cooper could spend a lot of his time shuttling to and from the College Park Skyhawks.

Then again, Atlanta's backup point guard carousel is hazy enough that he could get a bite at semi-regular minutes. Bogdanovic, Williams and Wright are more secondary playmakers than floor generals.

Regardless, though, "Steal of the Draft" isn't a superlative that should be awarded out of the gate. It takes years to understand how a rookie class unfolds. That Cooper has already hinted at strengthening his largest weakness is an encouraging sign both for what it could mean now and later.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

These guys are playing to their talent level and potential, and NOT to their expert ratings and draft slots if that makes sense.

All things equal, you roll a basketball out on the court and tell them to go play, they can hang with anyone in their class. (Green looks to be something special though) There is no denying they both belong and are not afraid.

They still have a ways to before they are ready to be full time contributors for a team with championship aspirations, but if this was 2 years ago, these cats would be playing major minutes for us likely putting up big time numbers.

The "pump the breaks" mentality is only because we are too deep to realistically have a role for them to thrive right now. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, hazer said:

I believe it. I’ll happily take the bet I proposed, not someone else’s convolution of it.

The only thing you believe is that Coop will be the #2 if the people ahead of him get hurt and Nate has no other choice. If you actually thought Cooper could earn the #2 job on the merits rather than due to injuries, you'd take my bet.