• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Build to Beat MIL ... or not?

kg01

Hopefully teams are thinking about how to build their teams in anticipation of playing a fully healthy Atlanta Hawks squad. 

F...'em.

They have to play US!

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

Reminds me of the Falcons after losing in the NFC Champ Game and they tried to build to beat the Packers and it was a total cluster.  I think the smart play is just to be versatile and have the ability to matchup with different types of teams.  I think it's smart to have a big big on the roster that can hold their own and body up against the Embiids, B Lopez of the world.  But I'm not suggesting they transition to that as the main C on the team.  That would be crazy.  The way the Hawks play works.  It worked this year and will work going forward, imo.  They just need to shore up some weaknesses.  And get healthy.  And older.  

It'd be funny if we can sign Boban for the cheap-low.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, sturt said:

Answering the question, we perhaps fixate on MIL if we perceive that they're the GSW of our time... the irrefutable king of the hill.

I don't see it. Does anyone? Really?

Neither do I fixate on PHI, who presented similar "big" challenges.

We not only beat PHI with a highly-productive-as-if-not-even-injured Embiid, we beat them without Dre.

Would we have beat MIL with a healthy Trae? At worst, it's a 50/50 thing. Would we have beat MIL with a healthy Trae and a healthy Dre? Maybe not, but the odds drastically shift in our favor better than 50/50. So, altogether likely.

The stats show that when Dre-JC-CC played together this season, our defense was elite compared to others. (Had a CleaningTheGlass tweet on that just a week or so ago that made that point... could look it up again, but not now.)

So, the perception of necessity to change is flawed by the reality. It's a knee-jerk reaction. And bringing in a meaty big runs counter to how we like to play otherwise.

No roster is perfect. No style of play is perfect. You have to live with some weaknesses no matter what, but you attempt to choose the weaknesses that are less likely to result in losses in view of the strengths that accepting those weaknesses allow you enjoy, and win.

Will we make any changes at all?

Travis Schlenk lies a lot, of course. But if you believe what he told Kirschner, he's expecting a change at the #2 PG slot.

(And yes, tongue was planted firmly in cheek on that lying thing.)

On the third string... ie, the 11-15 guys who will almost never play in a playoff game anyhow... it's largely a question of what talent you can get for the money you have and the minutes-commitment that a given free agent is going to expect.

That's why Dieng, as much as I obviously love the guy (was banging the drum loudly and persistently when he was cut by MEM), isn't a real likely option... and why someone in the pool of the Mike Muscala's of the world is.

But even there, the overall philosophy (asserted in the other thread) remains that you want guys who are interchangeable parts with your first ten as best you can possibly get those, in case of injury.

They're not going to be nearly as good as the 1st and 2nd string guys, naturally, but similar enough that their presence on the floor in the case of an injury doesn't disrupt what you normally try to do.

You had me all the way up into the Travis lies statement. I agree with everything else but I must say one of the main reasons I respect Travis is because of his honesty.

He said he needs to get the next Steph, Klay and Draymond. He went straight into the 2018 draft and grabbed our version with Trae Young, Kevin Huerter and Omari Spellman.

Omari didn't work he went and got Clint/Gallo/Knight/Bruno/OO to duplicate Draymond. Doubled down on our version of Klay with Bogi and got us an older Trae in Lou Will when he saw that worked.

He said he wanted Hunter and liked Cam for yrs and got them (Our Durant like X factor in the way of Baby Kawhi and Paul George). 

I know some of us hate any Warriors reference but we must understand that's where he came from and they did quite well at the time.. Everything he's said so far he's done.

He's said he would get the back up point guard long term to run with Trae. Everybody is assuming it's a vet but I don't see any long term vets available. I do see over 12 point guards in this up and coming draft that all have the potential to be special in certain areas. 

Again I loved all your points except that one because if it's one thing I respect and admire him for is telling us what he's going to do. Doing it and it being successful even when everyone knew it was coming because he said it. That's a cerebral GM. He says what he's going to do. Does it and he knows they can't stop it.

Crazy for me is I cringed at many of the things he said because I thought there were better options. Cringed even more when I watched him do it but then when I did my research on why I understood. Plus I definitely couldn't argue with any of the results I just gotta tip my hat.

Edited by sillent
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You never scheme a entire season or roster on the chances of playing a certain team. And like @LongTimeFan said, they should be worried about us. 

Just like you play to your own style during a game, you build your own style off the court, never follow suit or fixate on a certain opponent.

Not taking anything away from the Bucks, but I’d bet they aren’t here next year and we have to deal with the Nets or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sillent said:

You had me all the way up into the Travis lies statement. I agree with everything else but I must say one of the main reasons I respect Travis is because of his honesty.

He said he needs to get the next Steph, Klay and Draymond. He went straight into the 2018 draft and grabbed our version with Trae Young, Kevin Huerter and Omari Spellman.

Omari didn't work he went and got Clint/Gallo/Knight/Bruno/OO to duplicate Draymond. Doubled down on our version of Klay with Bogi and got us an older Trae in Lou Will when he saw that worked.

He said he wanted Hunter and liked Cam for yrs and got them (Our Durant like X factor in the way of Baby Kawhi and Paul George). 

I know some of us hate any Warriors reference but we must understand that's where he came from and they did quite well at the time.. Everything he's said so far he's done.

He's said he would get the back up point guard long term to run with Trae. Everybody is assuming it's a vet but I don't see any long term vets available. I do see over 12 point guards in this up and coming draft that all have the potential to be special in certain areas. 

Again I loved all your points except that one because if it's one thing I respect and admire him for is telling us what he's going to do. Doing it and it being successful even when everyone knew it was coming because he said it. That's a cerebral GM. He says what he's going to do. Does it and he knows they can't stop it.

Crazy for me is I cringed at many of the things he said because I thought there were better options. Cringed even more when I watched him do it but then when I did my research on why I understood. Plus I definitely couldn't argue with any of the results I just gotta tip my hat.

I actually think Schlenk does lie to us .. but I prefer it that way.  I don't think he outright tries to mislead us, I just think he gives enough info to keep the fanbase 'informed' but doesn't give away his actual plan.

I don't think he truly wanted to "recreate" GS here, at least not in the exact form.  And, even if he did initially, he did a good job pivoting from trying to make a pure clone of the Warriors.

I trust what he's doing but I'm fine with him being a little evasive in his media comments.

Contrast that with a GM I absolutely can't stand ... David Griffin.  Guy couldn't stay out of the media, telling truths, lies, and whatever else kept his name out there.  That's a guy who you can't trust in his actions or words.  And that franchise is well on their way to losing another star player.  Just shutup and do a good job, the attention will come.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

To be clear, I did not make that up.  Can't remember where I got it, wish I could credit where it's due.

This is where I first saw it.  Probably the same for you? I actually love that nickname. 

Edit:  To add to the topic discussion. I'm in the boat we round out the edges.  I believe the 20th pick will be used on a guard with some upside and the 2nd rounder will have super upside.  I think we hit the free agency pool for someone with some girth to help with the bigger teams like Philly and Milwaukee.

I  think the assumption that the reason the Bucks beat up on the Hawks was due to our bigs being out worked in inaccurate. It was Jrue and Middleton getting anywhere they wanting because of poor perimeter defense which caused our bigs to over help and be out of position for the rebounds.  Like others have stated, I believe Cam, Hunter and a healthy Bogi will alleviate this as they are all solid rebounders and defenders. 

I don't want to see wholesale changes.  We need to know what we have with a healthy squad before consolidating the talent for an "upgrade". After listening to Nate's interview on siriusxm, I'm confident John will be back. 

Would you guys consider Alex Len for that third big role? He'll probably be cheap and available and really enjoyed playing with the young guys.  There are plenty of solid options for the third big. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do we move now?  Or, do we wait until mid season when the trading deadline faces various teams and they must decide whether they are going to the playoffs or the lottery?

Perhaps we do both.  Your thoughts - - - -

:smug:

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Do we move now?  Or, do we wait until mid season when the trading deadline faces various teams and they must decide whether they are going to the playoffs or the lottery?

Perhaps we do both.  Your thoughts - - - -

:smug:

We wait... unless a can't miss deal comes along. Everything must be weighed but unless something just knocks our socks off, we're still the team that was two games away from playing for the Chip... in a legit offseason. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1