• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson may be better than De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish

TheNorthCydeRises

Words from a hit song from way back, end of World War 2:

How are you going to keep him down on the farm after he has saw Pariee!! (Paris)

Our rookies need to go to G League to learn professional basketball.  They will probably run the same offense and defense as the parent club.  They should grow and learn here.  Sometime in the season they will be called up, either because one of the regulars are injured or we may have made a deadline trade.

Once either of them comes up for several games, it's going to be very hard to send them back to the farm.  They have had a taste of the majors and I'm sure they will love it.  Better for everyone that they start "down on the farm" because they both need to play.  If they stay up, end of the bench, that's not good.

😃

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Words from a hit song from way back, end of World War 2:

How are you going to keep him down on the farm after he has saw Pariee!! (Paris)

Our rookies need to go to G League to learn professional basketball.  They will probably run the same offense and defense as the parent club.  They should grow and learn here.  Sometime in the season they will be called up, either because one of the regulars are injured or we may have made a deadline trade.

Once either of them comes up for several games, it's going to be very hard to send them back to the farm.  They have had a taste of the majors and I'm sure they will love it.  Better for everyone that they start "down on the farm" because they both need to play.  If they stay up, end of the bench, that's not good.

😃

Agreed..How can you Actually look down at the bench and Call up Solo when Jalen is right next to him? lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, marco102 said:

Cam would probably look like prime MJ in summer league.  Lets remember, summer league is a lower level of competition than even preseason NBA.

Let’s remember even Trae struggled against this lesser competition. I would argue that this years summer league is much more competitive than ones in years past. All the top prospects played, the gym was full and all the stars were there watching and due to covid shortened college seasons and GLeague dominant players, guys were really trying to play hard. It is not the regular season, but the one thing about regular season nba basketball is that the defense is worse. I agree though that these guys won’t see hardly any minutes in the regular season and those limited minutes will mess with their rhythm. Also, if they do get in, they will be the 4th or 5th option. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Alex said:

He quit on his team.  Nobody in their mind can defend that.

Ohhhh how I’ve missed your curmudgeonism, welcome back ‘Lex 😜

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Let’s remember even Trae struggled against this lesser competition. I would argue that this years summer league is much more competitive than ones in years past. All the top prospects played, the gym was full and all the stars were there watching and due to covid shortened college seasons and GLeague dominant players, guys were really trying to play hard. It is not the regular season, but the one thing about regular season nba basketball is that the defense is worse.

Come on, now. I'll grant that there is higher-than-average on-ball defensive EFFORT in SL from SOME players simply because this is the one audition those guys will get. But the guys who that is most true for are the WORST players there. And the overall size, athleticism, bball IQ, and just general defensive skill is much, much lower in SL than in even the most meaningless of regular-season NBA games. To say nothing of the lack of chemistry on defense during SL, which leads to lots of breakdowns.

There is literally no aspect of the SL experience that is within the same zip code as NBA ball.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, niremetal said:

Come on, now. I'll grant that there is higher-than-average on-ball defensive EFFORT in SL from SOME players simply because this is the one audition those guys will get. But the guys who that is most true for are the WORST players there. And the overall size, athleticism, bball IQ, and just general defensive skill is much, much lower in SL than in even the most meaningless of regular-season NBA games. To say nothing of the lack of chemistry on defense during SL, which leads to lots of breakdowns.

There is literally no aspect of the SL experience that is within the same zip code as NBA ball.

The nba regular season is literally the worst defense in all of basketball strictly based on how it is refereed. Defense is not even allowed to be played until the playoffs start. When you add in pacing and space, it us much easier to score. By no means am I saying summer league players are as good as nba players but there is a reason they play these games and if you can perform well against that level of competition who are literally fighting for their careers, then some of that will translate at the next level. 

28 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Let’s remember even Trae struggled against this lesser competition. I would argue that this years summer league is much more competitive than ones in years past. All the top prospects played, the gym was full and all the stars were there watching and due to covid shortened college seasons and GLeague dominant players, guys were really trying to play hard. It is not the regular season, but the one thing about regular season nba basketball is that the defense is worse. I agree though that these guys won’t see hardly any minutes in the regular season and those limited minutes will mess with their rhythm. Also, if they do get in, they will be the 4th or 5th option. 

Yes, rookie cam may have struggled against this competetion, but third year Cam wouldn't.  We got Payton Pritchard out here looking like prime Steve Nash.  

You can't deem much from your rookies struggling in summer league or performing super well for that matter.  Experienced NBA players should shine in summer league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, niremetal said:

Come on, now. 

Aah!  Some things are very similar.  Maybe as a bike and a car are alike because they both have wheels.  The floor is the same size and all the measurements inside are the same.  Size of the ball and the goal = the same.

Agreed, the skill set of the competition is not nearly as good.  However, a shot in either one will hit or miss exactly the same.  A three is a three.  A dunk is a dunk.  Free throws?  What is different here?

For the most part these players are the lesser players in the world.  However there is enough of exactly the same thing here as in the NBA to make it worthwhile.  If not, then why do it?

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

I think that we looked at this before.  Someone not playing well or just playing average doesn’t mean very much.  Rookies that dominate typically have NBA success, but not always.  So, it means something but not everything.  

You'll have to remind me.  I don't think I've seen anything but anecdotes.  If there is some kind of study or data set with this, I'd be happy to see it.

Again, I don't view it as having any meaningful predictive power.  There is very little structure, very little chemistry between players, and a low grade of talent.  The player's resume prior to the draft means a lot more to me for projecting their NBA future than how they do in the showcase exhibition that is the summer league.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AHF said:

You'll have to remind me.  I don't think I've seen anything but anecdotes.  If there is some kind of study or data set with this, I'd be happy to see it.

Again, I don't view it as having any meaningful predictive power.  There is very little structure, very little chemistry between players, and a low grade of talent.  The player's resume prior to the draft means a lot more to me for projecting their NBA future than how they do in the showcase exhibition that is the summer league.

Yep, it was based off a foggy memory, and I didn't feel like finding the needle in a haystack.  Even for something like summer league data tells a story.  It's less predictive than other data sets, but performance is not completely meaningless.  Will post if I find anything.

• Like 1