• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

UPDATE: So Yes, Nique IS in the top 75 players of all time

NBASupes

• lethalweapon3 changed the title to UPDATE: So Yes, Nique IS in the top 75 players of all time
  • Moderators

Second, the effort to put together the list of 76 (75, with a tie for last) was wholly unserious.

The committee that was convened was essentially given one job by the league:

Here's 50 all-timers from 1996. Don't nudge a single one of them off the list. Instead, add Dominique so we can finally stop hearing about how badly we goofed. Then add 24 more dudes. Yes, we understand, maybe a dozen more deserve to get in, with the league's talent pool having improved immeasurably since '96. But this isn't the NBATop87, sorry. Again, nobody from the old list gets cut. Okay, Go!

It didn't help that a few of the living members from NBATop50 that likely deserved the heave-ho... Lenny, Kangaroo Kid, Pearl, J-Luke, Bing... were placed on the panel. They weren't voting themselves off, and who else had the guts to do so?

The victims of the top-down decision not to boot some pre-existing members were mostly (1) modern-era players that excelled in not-clearly-the-lead roles, and (2) modern-era centers who hadn't, or haven't yet, led a team to a title.

If you count Timmy as a center (AD tries his best not to count himself), he's the only one that got added to the list (I count 16 carryover centers in the NBATop50), while Spur cohorts Tony and Manu are left out in the cold. Chauncey, Dumars and Pau come to mind as well. I believe Joel was a playoff series or two away from getting the benefit of the doubt to make the list early. Dwight not being in here is a felonious crime, Deke more of a misdemeanor. He doesn't fit in either snub-pot, but Vince got jobbed as well.

Good for Bob McAdoo, but I had Adrian Dantley and Dennis Johnson on my shortlist of O.G.'s squeezing in.

As a lesser gripe, I trust Sekou, and perhaps the also late Rick Bonnell, would have been on the panel, but as was the case with the '96 group that snubbed Nique, I strain to find anyone from the media that was a sportswriter south of D.C. Way too much ESPN and ex-ESPN talents in the media pool.

~lw3

• Like 3

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

It didn't help that a few of the living members from NBATop50 that likely deserved the heave-ho... Lenny, Kangaroo Kid, Pearl, J-Luke, Bing... were placed on the panel. They weren't voting themselves off, and who else had the guts to do so?

Very true.

• Like 3