Official Probably-a-Game Thread: Hemi-Hawks at Halve-a-Liers

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Late to the thread as I was totally focused watching Georgia romp and with family but thrilled the Hawks were able to come back and win one.  Been brutal seeing us lose games while decimated while others get them postponed.  Nobody has been hit harder than us and we have not had nearly as much relief as some other teams.

Call out to @TheNorthCydeRises for his commentary on Trae.  Looked prophetic reading about how we needed Trae to stay aggressive and make some shots; how Trae was starting to warm up; etc. and winding up with Trae leading to the team to victory after playing at a deficit for most of the night.

I do have to say that in this thread I saw probably 5 difference comparisons with Trae and Iverson and give my $.02.  The posters who made the comparison made it as a compliment to Trae.  I'd say it is an unintentional insult because Iverson was sooooooooo much less efficient as a scorer than Trae has been over their careers.  This was kind of a garbage night for Trae's shooting with his struggling like crazy early and coming around to rescue the night to finish with a .541% TS% for the game, well under his career (.575% ts% even with his rookie struggles) and season averages.  For Iverson, that wouldn't be an off night shooting.  That would be a great shooting night way over his career average .518% TS% and basically identical to his best season ever in Philly (.543% ts%).  So what was a rough night for Trae would be gold for Iverson.  That is why even though Iverson averaged a few more points per game (26.7 ppg career average on .518% ts%) than Trae (24.6 ppg career average on .575% ts%), we should not be making the comparison because Trae just makes too many more shots than AI ever did.  Trae >> AI

/End AI/Trae rant

• Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I guess BG has to try to get his minutes away from washed up Rondo again?    Not sure why teams still think Rondo will work at all.   Hopefully JB is already figuring it out.

I'm happy for BG and I hope he can stick with them for awhile. He deserves a spot in this league. He can win you some games.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, marco102 said:

I'm going to support @TheNorthCydeRises here. 

Julius Randle been booty cheeks for amany years. Last year, he has a good year on a Knicks team and he's All NBA and Trae couldn't even make an all NBA team with the same record. 

There is a major bias towards Trae.  A lot of it has to do with the trade and people's first prognostications on Trae.  The media bias against him was outrageous his first three years.  The entire foul merchant thing last year was pretty crazy how they attacked him. 

What Trae did his second season was generational rather someone paid attention to it or not. If only a few players in NBA history have done it, it was a generational season. 

It's like a rookie coming in averaging 40 15 15 on 60% shooting.  It's a generational season rather his team went 0-82 or not.  Some may say empty stats, but you don't need outside people to recognize that to be generational.  The stats will say you are alone.  They all eventually come around. Jordan had his naysayers his first few seasons too.

I don't doubt that there's a bias against Trae.   I don't doubt that there's a NY Bias towards any of their players that's even halfway good.   They still are the media capital. 

BUT

Generational players are known by generational moments. 

Unless you are a stathead, nobody can reel off Jordan's, Kobe's or Wilt's Stats?

But you do know...

The flu game. 

81 points against Toronto

The 100 point game. 

You do know averaged a triple double for a season. 

You do know played who came back and played in game 7. 

You do know Jesus in Basketball Shoes. 

You do know No, No, No. 

You do know Stockton to Malone. 

Can you even tell me without looking one of Pistol Pete's best season stats?

How about Iverson?

Without Looking??

Funny.. because I can ask the average person to give me Iverson's statline and they can't but they will probably remember him crossing over Jordan?

The stats are great, but the moments are what makes the statperson generational. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don't doubt that there's a bias against Trae.   I don't doubt that there's a NY Bias towards any of their players that's even halfway good.   They still are the media capital. 

BUT

Generational players are known by generational moments. 

Unless you are a stathead, nobody can reel off Jordan's, Kobe's or Wilt's Stats?

But you do know...

The flu game. 

81 points against Toronto

The 100 point game. 

You do know averaged a triple double for a season. 

You do know played who came back and played in game 7. 

You do know Jesus in Basketball Shoes. 

You do know No, No, No. 

You do know Stockton to Malone. 

Can you even tell me without looking one of Pistol Pete's best season stats?

How about Iverson?

Without Looking??

Funny.. because I can ask the average person to give me Iverson's statline and they can't but they will probably remember him crossing over Jordan?

The stats are great, but the moments are what makes the statperson generational. 

You know these are not mutually exclusive.  General players consistently put up great numbers and have moments.  

Trae's second season was generational point blank period and he had moments in the playoffs. 

• Like 3