Best possible offseason for all ready to make moves teams in the NBA

NBASupes

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Yes he is if he's playing with Trae. You do realize offensively, he can be worth up to 30 at best in his current situation. You put him in spamville USA with GOAT spammer, he's going to have so many easy baskets that Clint generally fumbles. He would put up close 18-20ppg. With his ability and with the touches he will get from Trae. He will have a massive offensive impact. Not quite all star level but with his added elite defense, you are talking elite overall impact. He already has tremendous 45 win impact right now in Utah.

The money is fine considering where he's going and he's playing with Trae. 

I can see Rudy getting 18-20 ppg with Trae but just like Collins…it’s because of Trae. We add Gobert and defense overall is probably better for sure but I have a hard time believing we’d be instant contenders unless Collins, Hunter, or Bogi really steps it up assuming they are still here after such trade.

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It gives us a legit chance. 

Yeah I think it gives us a better regular season. I’m not so sure about legit chance…we’d need guys to step up or find another good offensive talent.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

There refusal to see Gobert for what he is because they have Ayton or someone else as a preference is obvious. 

Gobert is as perfect a fit for Trae as Steph and Draymond or Jordan and Pippen. They basically cover for each other. 

It’s no doubt Ayton will be a much better offensive player than Gobert and Capela but I do understand the defensive improvement Rudy has over the other 2.

I don’t know. I’d still rather have a backcourt of Trae and Mitchell while keeping the front court as Hunter, Collins, Capela if it’s possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't believe you need a lot to win with a core of Trae and Gobert.

Win a championship? I disagree with this statement. 

Force Trae to give up the ball and force Gobert out the perimter - we are TOAST!.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Force Trae to give up the ball and force Gobert out the perimter - we are TOAST!.

There's a reason UTA keeps floundering despite having a good mix around those two.  I'm sure some of it is because they hate each other's guts (allegedly), but it's not a done-deal title like supes is suggesting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

There's a reason UTA keeps floundering despite having a good mix around those two.  I'm sure some of it is because they hate each other's guts (allegedly), but it's not a done-deal title like supes is suggesting.

Exactly 💯

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We got capable offensive players outside of Trae especially if its 3 on 4. 

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Trae and Mitchell aren't the same players.

Contenders doesn't equal guaranteed champions

Edited by NBASupes

I would be hyped to see a team led by Gobert and Trae.  We could still find a secondary ball handler and play maker to pair with Trae.  They would be more of a value player, but possible to find.  We might even attract a ring chaser, dare I say it?  

The info coming out at the trade deadline seemed to suggest Trae wants help facilitating the offense.  He doesn't want to be the full focus of the defense every night. 

So, if we assume for a moment Gobert is the most attainable piece that moves the needle for our team, there is another question that remains.  Trae AND HIS DAD want to see someone come in and relieve the defensive pressure on Trae.  They might be content with Gobert, but it sure seemed like they wanted a different type of player at the trade deadline.  We can talk pure basketball fit on here, but behind the scenes you have to make your superstar happy.  Is Gobert that guy for Trae and Rayford?  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Our perimeter defense is fine without Trae. Trae is our problem and last I checked, he's not going nowhere so we will be fine. I'll take top 12-15 defense and a best offense in the NBA for a thousand Alex 

That’s certainly not an ideal proposition.  Championship teams since ‘89 have averaged 6th in offensive rating and 5th in defensive.  Only LeBron and Kobe have gotten teams worse than mediocre on defense over the highest hump.  There are 18 All Defensive selections between those two, Trae will end his career with -3.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, JTB said:

I’d still rather have a backcourt of Trae and Mitchell while keeping the front court as Hunter, Collins, Capela if it’s possible.

I don't understand the fascination with Mitchell.  We already have one of the worst back court defenders of all time and adding another atrocious defensive guard would be disastrous.  Are you guys looking at this Hawks team and really thinking "we need more points"?  We have the second best offensive rating in the league this year.  Offense isn't our problem.  If you watched the Jazz in the playoffs and saw their back court get absolutely toasted every possession, why would you want that in Atlanta?  And Capela isn't as good as Gobert so it would only be worse.  Trae and Donovan cannot guard anyone.  If one of those players is making us a regular season team with no chance at a title, it's 100% Mitchell, not Gobert.  

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't understand the fascination with Mitchell.  We already have one of the worst back court defenders of all time and adding another atrocious defensive guard would be disastrous.  Are you guys looking at this Hawks team and really thinking "we need more points"?  We have the second best offensive rating in the league this year.  Offense isn't our problem.  If you watched the Jazz in the playoffs and saw their back court get absolutely toasted every possession, why would you want that in Atlanta?  And Capela isn't as good as Gobert so it would only be worse.  Trae and Donovan cannot guard anyone.  If one of those players is making us a regular season team with no chance at a title, it's 100% Mitchell, not Gobert.  

I've mentioned it several times but this isn't really true.   Our 4th quarter offense sucks.  Just like last night.   The end of the game was basically a parade of misses and turnovers because we only have one truly skilled offensive player.    We were fortunate he was able to takeover games in the playoffs last year when it mattered but relying on that isn't a recipe for contending.   

Is time to look for another star to join Trae, I am fine with Ayton or Gobert, I would be fine with Siakam  as well. Anyway we need to and size and defense and as I said there are a lot of options at FA. Whiteside, Bryant, Hartenstein, Boucher, Covington, Otto Porter, Brown, Harris…

6 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

What about Mo Bamba?  He would be  a cheaper option compared to Ayton and Gobert.   

Don't trust it.  Guy's been bad until contract year.  Let's not be that team that gets Julius Randle'd by a guy playing well in the right 1 year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2022 at 12:33 PM, JeffS17 said:

That’s fair but I think it’s odd that you and @NBASupes believe that Gobert paired with Trae will make us contenders.

like @macdaddy mentioned we only have one truly skilled offensive star talent.

even IF Gobert improves our defense just with his presence we still have a offense issue of no other true scorer.

I do think Trae will make Gobert a 16-20 ppg scorer possibly but we have to be realistic and know that Goberts possible offensive increase is due to Trae and only Trae. If we need a bucket and Trae is doubled I don’t care if Gobert is the 2nd leading scorer on the team he can’t create on his own. 
it’s too bad that collins is not utilized more to his offensive strengths cause if he were maybe those of us that still sees offense as an issue wouldn’t.

oh and that 2nd rank offense is very skewed…we ALL know it’s cause if Trae and Trae only. 

• Like 2

We are talking about Gobert and Ayton, but the bigger question is what is going to be their cost in a trade.  I know that Trae, JJ, Coop, and maybe OO will not be traded but do we have enough to make that trade and willing to find players to play with Trae and Gobert/Ayton.

Edited by NekiEcko

7 hours ago, JTB said:

That’s fair but I think it’s odd that you and @NBASupes believe that Gobert paired with Trae will make us contenders.

like @macdaddy mentioned we only have one truly skilled offensive star talent.

even IF Gobert improves our defense just with his presence we still have a offense issue of no other true scorer.

I do think Trae will make Gobert a 16-20 ppg scorer possibly but we have to be realistic and know that Goberts possible offensive increase is due to Trae and only Trae. If we need a bucket and Trae is doubled I don’t care if Gobert is the 2nd leading scorer on the team he can’t create on his own. 
it’s too bad that collins is not utilized more to his offensive strengths cause if he were maybe those of us that still sees offense as an issue wouldn’t.

oh and that 2nd rank offense is very skewed…we ALL know it’s cause if Trae and Trae only. 

Have you read all of the posts in this thread? If you read most of those posts, it will clearly explain why. It's like you guys have limited ability to read when it's something you do not agree with. Just strange to me to see. This is not an insult to you personally, I just see it all of the time on here. I literally have fools saying I said things I've never said because they assume instead of read. 

It's quite easy. Gobert is one of the best floor raisers in the game. His play is consistent on a possession by possession basis which is critical for the RS and the grind that is the NBA. Add that he's an elite defender and the best defender in the NBA, it's a no brainer to me. The biggest issue with Capela defensively is while he's one of the top 10 big man defenders, his man defense is just average at best and his ability to defend the paint and rim is very good but not elite. With Gobert, he has the ability to neutralize Trae. That's massive to me. That's just on the defensive end. Offensively, he becomes a 18-20ppg scorer with Trae. That also helps us a ton and he's screens are better than Clint as well as his rolls and his finishing ability. He's just better at that element than Clint is. 

We have a lot of skilled offensive players. Kevin, Dre, Bogi, Gallo, Coop, Jalen shows flashes. Most teams in the NBA don't even have one offensive star much less superstar like us. I am fine with just one. He's so good on the end, he covers a lot of ground like Luka but I think he covers more ground than even Luka offensively. I am fine with just Trae being our only offensive freak of nature. Rarely do you see teams with more than one and a lot of times, they get in each other's way like KD and Steph. 

When you got Trae, you don't need another offensive star unless that star directly has plays that benefit Trae's game like KAT for example. But someone like a guard or wing will just get in the way. They will want touches and that's not Trae's style. He has his style and he's best when he plays his style. 

If Trae is doubled, that means we are playing 4 on 3. We should be able to dominate that as most NBA professionals should be able to dominate that if Trae makes the right decision. 

I've said this a thousand times, we could use JC better but it will be at a negative for the team and for Trae. Trae is much better with 5s trying to guard him than 4s. He also needs real screens so he can have room to operate. It's like people who love pushing for JC to get more touches seems to forget that even though he is better at the PnR than Clint, Clint is a 5. He can rebound, he makes it tough on the big when defending the PnR and the big has to account for Trae who's constantly mixing things up using screens. 

I've said this last year and I remember getting a lot of backlash on here which is funny because everyone now seems to agree but JC is not a great fit. The reasons why is: 

1. Too small at the 4 to play with Trae on both ends. 

2. While he is versatile within this position, he needs to be protected in some matchups, we can't do that with Trae who always has to be protected. 

3. His lack of positional versatility kills him with us. With Trae, you gotta be able to adapt to all situations, he simply doesn't have that ability. 

That said, JC is a very good player. Our most impactful player till the 2nd half of the season in terms of W/L this year. Sucks his injuries was out of hand this year. Add COVID and it was tough for our guys, especially JC. 

You can say our offense is 2nd because of Trae, I agree. That's why I continue to say he's the most talented offensive player in the NBA and a machine offensively. 

@NBASupes what do you think about the notion that, despite being an elite defender, Gobert isn't good on the perimeter defending?

Some folks say, due to that, he's a liability in the playoffs and late in games.

Personally, I see him as basically a better version of Capela but they have similar weaknesses.  Not the 'same' weaknesses, just similar (re-stating that for effect).

So, all in all, he's an upgrade for sure.  The question becomes the money.  Is he that much of an upgrade once his contract is factored in?

Second question, does he make us a contender?  I'd say he puts us closer but it still hinges on what we do on the wing(s).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, kg01 said:

@NBASupes what do you think about the notion that, despite being an elite defender, Gobert isn't good on the perimeter defending?

Some folks say, due to that, he's a liability in the playoffs and late in games.

Personally, I see him as basically a better version of Capela but they have similar weaknesses.  Not the 'same' weaknesses, just similar (re-stating that for effect).

So, all in all, he's an upgrade for sure.  The question becomes the money.  Is he that much of an upgrade once his contract is factored in?

Second question, does he make us a contender?  I'd say he puts us closer but it still hinges on what we do on the wing(s).

Looks like you have limited ability to read.   :sarcastic:

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Looks like you have limited ability to read.   :sarcastic:

Hey, I've made it more than clear that I ain't reading more than 1 or 3 sentences per post.

If one-a y'all ask me some long-winded question, I instantly morph into Mariah...

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e479scufrhj4pg59k3vn

• Haha 3