• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks v. Miami Heat Playoff Series

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Miami embraces physical play with this mentality:

"If you foul 3 times on every possession then the refs won't call all of them because they don't have the patience or desire to get attention for calling fouls on 20 consecutive possessions and so they will swallow the whistle most of the time.  Do this and you can get away with 70% of your fouls and make life much harder for the opponent.  The best part is that if the opponent is playing clean the refs will probably reach for fouls to call against them so that it doesn't seem so 'lopsided' with all the calls going against one team."

Sad, but true. 

The Hawks can beat anyone in the East outside of Milwaukee (and also lose to anyone, which is a not great side, as those two losses to Detroit were not great at all). I'd be more worried about them instead of Miami.

Having said that, even before what happened yesterday, I wasn't really feeling it with this one. Considering Doc's history in the playoffs, I knew Philly was on upset alert last year, but I couldn't get to where I was feeling the same way here even before yesterday. Idk why, maybe one reason why for me is because this is a team that has seen playoff success recently (even if it was in a bubble format).

It'd help to win tomorrow, otherwise it's probably Miami in 6 at the most here.

I don't think they make the finals though. Their best chance at it would probably be if they saw Brooklyn...think Milwaukee or Boston (yuck) would take them.

• Premium Member
On 4/16/2022 at 3:59 AM, QuantumHawkz said:

What stuck out to me was the fact that the Hawks had 15 assists???. They can NOT start playing ISO ball with the Heat. ....if they do, they will lose. Too much standing around and not enough off ball movement. 

I said this after the Cavs game.......and what do you know Coach seems to agree. This team WILL not will a game in this series if the ball movement doesn't improve. 

Last year vs the Knicks they let them push and slap us almost all series.  The problem for the Knicks was they are not that good.  Randle was completely neutralized.  

Unlike the Knicks, Miami has legit shooters and slashers.  If they are permitted to foul us all game long, I don't see us making this into a series.  The only thing that can help us is if the league sends a memo to the refs saying they can not use the Jordan rules on Trae.  Simply to protect a rising star from missing next season with an injury.  

I always follow the money.  It's how my brain works.  Right now Miami is a bigger ratings draw than the Hawks.  The league would step in to stop thug play against stars like KD or Curry.  Trae and this roster is not gonna get as much help.  

• Premium Member

So many Squawkers have given up on the Hawks in this series.  Trae said we will turn this thing around.   I'm riding with Trae.  A lot of people are drinking the kool-aid when it comes to Miami.   The Hawks need one road win to change this series.  To the Squawkers who have conceded... when we win, there will always be room on the bus for you... But understand, you will get the side eye when you post...

Side Eye Annoyed GIF - Side Eye Annoyed Bored - Discover & Share GIFs

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

They aren't going to let Trae go nuclear. They just aren't. Other guys will need to step up for us to have a chance. 

People underrate the hell out of Spoelstra and his staff's impact on the Heat. This same Heat team basically made the finals beating Giannis two years. Spoels is probably the best coach in the eastern conference.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Tonight...

• Match Herro with Wright. 
  • Hunter play Butler as best you can.
  • Kev/Butler keep Strus and Duncan from getting the ball in their spots. 

These are three crucial parts of the gameplan against Miami.  We can't let Bam get  loose.  I would definitely look to play JC 20-25 minutes if he can do it.   He didn't look bad on Sunday.   We need his rebounding/toughness/scoring.  I suspect that TLC will get some minutes.  I'm not mad at that.  I just hope that TLC plays good defense.  We need some help on Butler.   And I have called for a Hit on Lowry.  I want to see him leave the game with a concussion. 

• Premium Member

No one is "giving up" but Miami won a bunch more games than us for a reason and they are healthy we are not. Plus they have home court, and we suck on the road. Just objectively after what we saw in game 1 the odds are not in our favor. Trae is amazing, but the Heat will dedicate all of their defensive effort to take him away. We need someone to step up big time outside of Trae, if that doesn't happen we are toast, I guarantee it. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

People underrate the hell out of Spoelstra and his staff's impact on the Heat. This same Heat team basically made the finals beating Giannis two years. Spoels is probably the best coach in the eastern conference.

That's a lot of overrating...

Off the top...

• Nick Nurse is better. 
  • Bud is better. 
  • Nate may prove that he's better. 
  • Bickerstaff may be better. 
  • Doc is better.
  • Udoka may be better.

Spo has shown that when he doesn't have "the multitime allstars" that he doesn't even make the playoffs or lose in the first round.  Sometimes, when he does have them.. he loses in the first round. 

14 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

He gets the most out of his teams. Everyone has a defined role, they aren't star dependent. Role players making an impact is always a sign of good coaching. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

No one is "giving up" but Miami won a bunch more games than us for a reason and they are healthy we are not. Plus they have home court, and we suck on the road. Just objectively after what we saw in game 1 the odds are not in our favor. Trae is amazing, but the Heat will dedicate all of their defensive effort to take him away. We need someone to step up big time outside of Trae, if that doesn't happen we are toast, I guarantee it. 

Word. The unbridled homerism going on is just absurd. Miami is a tough defensive team, and while not explosive on offense, they are versatile and deep. We lose tonight, the series is probably over. 

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's a lot of overrating...

Off the top...

• Nick Nurse is better. 
  • Bud is better. 
  • Nate may prove that he's better. 
  • Bickerstaff may be better. 
  • Doc is better.
  • Udoka may be better.

Spo has shown that when he doesn't have "the multitime allstars" that he doesn't even make the playoffs or lose in the first round.  Sometimes, when he does have them.. he loses in the first round. 

He literally made the finals with this same team absolutely humiliating coach Bud two years ago?

17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

So many Squawkers have given up on the Hawks in this series.  Trae said we will turn this thing around.   I'm riding with Trae.  A lot of people are drinking the kool-aid when it comes to Miami.   The Hawks need one road win to change this series.  To the Squawkers who have conceded... when we win, there will always be room on the bus for you... But understand, you will get the side eye when you post...

If this was a fair fight in terms of officiating, I would give us 50/50 odds.  What I saw in Game 1 showed them letting the Heat play more like the Riley teams of the past.  It's not that I don't believe in Trae, but I believe they are gonna let the Heat make a statement about "Heat culture" in this series. 

I'm only being honest with what I see happening.  I don't go for this idea that only real fans pick their team to win no matter what.  We could overcome a scrub Knicks team that they let play "tough Thibs D", but the Heat have too many weapons if they are also allowed to grab guys around the neck and push them with no call.  It's easy to be a physical bully if the officials only let one team be a bully.  

If I see a game that gets called differently, I would change my mind.  

6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He gets the most out of his teams. Everyone has a defined role, they aren't star dependent. Role players making an impact is always a sign of good coaching. 

This is what I see.  And, don't tell anybody I said this, but one of the things I liked about the previous coach was he said he was going to try to have us play like Miami.  Didn't happen, obv, but I thought it was good that he recognized how well their program operated.

Again, don't tell anyone I said it, certainly not benhil.  He'd never let me live that down.

1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

He literally made the finals with this same team absolutely humiliating coach Bud two years ago?

You talkin' MIA?  Toss that bubble nonsense out, holic.

• Like 3