• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, JTB said:

we just haven’t had many committed GMs go after big time moves.

You woulda loved Pete Babock, my friend. Big moves a-plenty. (And that worked out so well, of course.)

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Diesel

It's all starting to come together.   KD is going to crack under the pressure of having to play with Headcases who make more than they should... and he will asked to be traded to Atlanta.   KD is hearing all the talk that he hasn't done one thing since he left Steph Curry's side.   He's tired of playing next to bums... he wants to join a HOFer in the making... Trae Young.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It's all starting to come together.   KD is going to crack under the pressure of having to play with Headcases who make more than they should... and he will asked to be traded to Atlanta.   KD is hearing all the talk that he hasn't done one thing since he left Steph Curry's side.   He's tired of playing next to bums... he wants to join a HOFer in the making... Trae Young.

I could see that happening honestly. I don't think I'd want to see it though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

LOL I Wish! But this has a loooonnnngggg shot of happening.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JTB said:

LOL I Wish! But this has a loooonnnngggg shot of happening.

You telling me if KD threatened to sit out unless they traded him to Atlanta... that BK wouldn't do it???  There must be a precedence?

James Harden GIF - James Harden Nets - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Nate... let me get you on board.....

JC/Gallo + 3 1st rounders for KD.

KD was never this close to Steph!

Nothing personal and all competition” – Kevin Durant discloses exchange  between Trae Young and himself as Brooklyn Nets get win over Atlanta Hawks

I honestly still don't think thats enough to get KD from them.  

I would think it would take something like  Collins, Hunter, Huerter or Bogi and a few 1st's to get the job done.  

KD replaces and upgrades Hunter big time    Huerter and bogi both im meh on leaving not a big fan of theirs honestly as SG is the main spot i want to upgrade anyways.    Collins would be the one that hurts me the most leaving but is also the one that has to go to make the deal even work to begin with. 

Could also see a Collins, Bogi, Onyeka and a few 1sts as well  as both of those deals work value wise on cap space. 

The 2nd one would probably look something like this with the team

Trae
Huerter
KD
Hunter
Capela

Edited by Threezus

• Premium Member

The fifth year doesn't mean as much as it used to do. That's not, at all, a hindrance to getting a guy in a S&T. With the salary cap going up every year and a new CBA coming there's nothing to worry about with four years versus five.

The only thing that really matters is convincing  Lavine to want to come to Atlanta.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Threezus said:

I think i might be the only person on realgm that really has a dislike of Gobert coming to atlanta lol.   I honestly don't think he upgrades the team that much over Capela at Center.   Sure he gives a good bit more rim protection but he is worse than capela at perimeter defense and we would have to give up Hunter or Collins + something else to even get him.  That right that again makes our perimeter defense worse and weakens another position.  Just to upgrade the paint a little bit more and to me it's just not worth it and won't bode well for our future.  Unless you can add a elite offensive weapon at SG, CF, or PF with Trae and Gobert which would be really hard to do.

There is a number of y'all on here. I am not one of them. I see Gobert as way more significant than Ayton and definitely more than Clint. I still believe Trae best fit in the league is Gobert 

• Thanks 1

There is another Curry out there somewhere in the NBA.  He's a pretty good scorer.  Wonder if anyone on the Squawk would like him on the Hawk team?  If so, what are the chances of obtaining his services?

:smug:

• Moderators
On 5/24/2022 at 4:35 PM, Dean Walker said:

Any updates on the senior forum thing?

If people do decide to move in that direction at some point, we can resolve the post count requirement for Squawkers without them needing to spam the board.  Just one fewer issue from a mechanics perspective but we can go down that road if people make that decision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

There is a number of y'all on here. I am not one of them. I see Gobert as way more significant than Ayton and definitely more than Clint. I still believe Trae best fit in the league is Gobert 

If Gobert made 10 million less and was 2 years Younger I would be more on board with bringing him on.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Paying 40+ million for a complete offensive liability...no thank you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, marco102 said:

If Gobert made 10 million less and was 2 years Younger I would be more on board with bringing him on.

Gobert at his cost is still better than the other options being discussed.  Lavine isn't a defender or a winner, same can be said about Beal.  Mitchell is expensive and ties up valuable cap space while making our defense worse (already bottom 5 in the league).  All 3 of those guys would be fun in the regular season and then we'd look like the Bulls/Jazz every post season -- losing in probably the second round, maybe first depending on matchups.  Ayton is debatable but imo he's a worse defender than Capela and doesn't fit as well with Trae.  The only player I want more than Gobert is Simmons.  His fit with Trae would be perfect and he solves a lot of our issues.

For me it's Simmons > Gobert > all the volume scorers that cannot play defense.  I'd probably rather make moves around the edges than to tie up a bunch of space with Lavine/Mitchell/Beal.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Gobert at his cost is still better than the other options being discussed.  Lavine isn't a defender or a winner, same can be said about Beal.  Mitchell is expensive and ties up valuable cap space while making our defense worse (already bottom 5 in the league).  All 3 of those guys would be fun in the regular season and then we'd look like the Bulls/Jazz every post season -- losing in probably the second round, maybe first depending on matchups.  Ayton is debatable but imo he's a worse defender than Capela and doesn't fit as well with Trae.  The only player I want more than Gobert is Simmons.  His fit with Trae would be perfect and he solves a lot of our issues.

For me it's Simmons > Gobert > all the volume scorers that cannot play defense.  I'd probably rather make moves around the edges than to tie up a bunch of space with Lavine/Mitchell/Beal.

I know we've gone round and round on this but suppose we get Gobert.   How to you solve our offensive issues?  Bottom 5 in the league in 4th quarter offense, Miami just shut us down in the playoffs.    Just getting better on D isn't going to solve that.   And please don't say 'more transition baskets'.  LOL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

For me it's Ayton and SGA...lol

Again, I'm not opposed to Gobert I just believe in the long run Ayton will be better.  He's the worst defender, but a much better offensive player. 

Lavine would be my second choice.  He's improved defensively and he would be a great compliment to Trae. 

To me Ayton and Lavine fit with our young core and fit with talent takes you a long way in the NBA. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I know we've gone round and round on this but suppose we get Gobert.   How to you solve our offensive issues?  Bottom 5 in the league in 4th quarter offense, Miami just shut us down in the playoffs.    Just getting better on D isn't going to solve that.   And please don't say 'more transition baskets'.  LOL.

Better system and better coaching. Players...particularly Trae go into this iso mode in the 4th. They just need to continue to move the ball and execute. Just that simple. Plus defense does create easy offense. There I said it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Better system and better coaching. Players...particularly Trae go into this iso mode in the 4th. They just need to continue to move the ball and execute. Just that simple. Plus defense does create easy offense. There I said it!

Don't put that on the player.  That's the coaches philosophy and system. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, marco102 said:

I wouldn't.  Gobert is not trash.  He's a fantastic player.  But there is absolutely not a ~$20m difference between him and Capela.   How do people see THAT big of a difference watching these two?

Statistically, these guys are giving you damn near the same thing defensively.  I might accept the health argument in favor of Gobert, but any unbiased person reading the stats and looking at footage of these two (and I have looked at A LOT), will tell you that there's more than a decent comparison between what they bring on that side of the court.  Physically speaking, Gobert is bigger and Clint might be a little faster...none of this moves the needle on the net results.

Offensively, neither of these guys is a go-to scorer in the post.  Both are highly-assisted rim-runners, being set up at around a ~.720% clip (Clint was a little higher prior to coming here).  Neither has a jumper, neither can face up off the dribble, and neither has a definitive post up game.  Gobert is longer and uses that length the way Giannis does to attack the basket, but he doesn't have the same speed or coordination with with ball in his hands.

His improvement over what Capela brings is very minor.  Our biggest problems have been perimeter defense, unreliable/streaky outside shooting, and Trae being neutered in the clutch by box/zone defense because nobody else can create offense or relieve the pressure on him.  How many of those boxes does Gobert check?

Even if we don't add another prolific scorer, we MUST get some guys on this team that can reliably hit open shots.  At a minimum, we need someone who can create offense for others and off the ball movement.  This is why I'd be okay, but not super-thrilled, with Ben Simmons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1