• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, Dean Walker said:

Agreed!

I wonder what we do with the 7th pick??

Travis and co want to win now so making the pick to keep that player isn’t in the cards(even though I’d love to keep it).

That pick may be the pick up of a mature player.. There are some in this draft.  Maybe a replacement at PF or a BU/Starter at Sf?

• Premium Member

I don't agree with every decision McM makes. The reluctance to get Delon more involved earlier is one of my major differences with him this past season. But, then again, let's also understand that only me and one or two others here ( @benhillboy maybe???) were consistently yelling for Delon to get more minutes... while many if not most were nodding their head in agreement with the head coach.

But I'm of the opinion that there are only so many head coaches who are so good at what they do that they actually help you win games... and the converse is also true... ie, only a few who are so bad that they actually help lose games. For the most part, coaches are mostly alike, and so it really is the case that the talent on the floor is what makes the difference in wins and losses, not the coaching.

People won't like me saying this, and they're like me in being entitled to their own opinion, but I think McM gets a short stick... like most head coaches get from most of their home-team fans. And while I don't think he's so good at what he does that he helps his team win a lot more than they would with an imaginary replacement-level head coach, I do think he's on the plus side.

And I feel confident in that because I've seen McM in a coach in this league now for many, many years, and with multiple teams.

I feel less confident in assessing any head coach who only coached one team. Any takeaway I draw is probationary, pending his next team and the outcomes.

Like the idea of some of these former assistants returning to ATL some day to coach. But I want McM to be so successful that it never becomes an option... so... I love that idea.

These young core guys just have to be allowed to mature and continue to get better, and yes, surrounded the necessary new talent to supplement.

Is Nate the best possible  head coach? Doubt that. Not even sure how anyone could decipher who would qualify for that title.

But he's among the group who are/would be really good, better than average. He knows what he's doing. His decisions are informed on the basis of being in thousands and thousands of situations, literally, and having a sense for what worked/works and why it would or wouldn't translate to a present situation.

Spidey sense is that I'm about to experience something like this... hehe...

giphy.gif

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why would Detroit not take #7 instead of Bogi?.....gotta be realistic Dies.

Hey... I had questions too.

However,  I think they like Bogi's shooting/scoring and in the draft at #7, you're not going to find anybody with Bogi's resume...

PLUS.. Detroit has the 5th pick.  Maybe they need a vet?

AND.  The last #7 that they got a hold of is Killian Hayes.   Wouldn't you be shell shocked??

No.. My questions were about why we didn't do this deal at the deadline.. Bogi for Grant.   But maybe we wanted to have hope that JC would get healthy or maybe they wanted more than Bogi?  Idk... Then I have to cosider that we were shopping Cam.. so.. .maybe.. we had a different package?

However, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens on draft night. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Threezus said:

In his 1st season maybe not but by year 2 it's very possible.  We got even better than that in collins with the 19th pick so ya never know lol.

For every Collins, there's a Cam. 

No doubt, I like the 7 footers that may be available around 16.  I even like Jalen Williams and Jeremy Sochan.. but I don't expect that they would be KCP good.. but then again, I'm driving by the rumor mill.  It's probably Simmons that we're looking at but  there are so many possibilities. 

22 minutes ago, sturt said:

Thanks for the response. Good thoughts.

I wanted JJ to get those minutes that became available after JC got hurt. With you on that much.

But I get it... you can't assume that a kid who in his previous two years played 9 and 13 games respectively, and then played a few minutes in a few games at a pro level and a few more at a G-league level... and too, midseason had his own health issues curtailing his development... isn't going to be overwhelmed by the expectations. And, in light of the context that McM had to be conscious of a double-whammy that, beyond overwhelming and discouraging him individually, McM wasn't exactly ever able to take the foot off the pedal in the pursuit of a post-season berth... even late, after we'd sealed a play-in slot, there remained some possibility that a better seeding would evolve for us.

I wish it had been different. I may have made a different call if I were the head coach.

But I understand the decision. And I respect the decision... because I just can't know what McM and his staff know, nor even if I did, would I have the credentials to be able to persuade anyone that my conclusions are smarter. They'd worked with JJ and they have some past experiences to draw upon. In all intellectual humility, I have to acquiesce to the belief they had a grasp of what was best.

And.

I would argue differently if, after all that, they still didn't make the post season. Then, it would have been a waste of an opportunity in 20/20 hindsight. It turned out the decision, at least for certain, didn't cost us a post season slot. Maybe JJ will turn out to be so good so fast next season that we all will re-visit the conversation, and wonder if he might have been a difference maker versus MIA. At the moment anyway, though, that seems intensely optimistic.

I just feel like the season was done once Collins injured his foot. Of course I give the team credit for competing and getting to the playoffs, but we had too many injuries to overcome. That's why I can never agree with the decision not to put Johnson in the rotation. Making the playoffs doesn't matter if you get beat 4-1 in the first round. We still underacheived.

Playing Johnson may have resulted in more losses this season, but he also could've been a spark in a positive direction too. Having a forward who's dynamic in transition and a good passer is something this team doesn't have. He's a versatile defender and he rebounds very well. It's a shocking decision honestly and McMillan doesn't get enough criticism for it. Playing vets was the easy option. What we should've done was to play Johnson and build on what he already does well. Change some of the lineups see if you can find combinations that he can excel in. That's the coaching job we needed. There's been so much talk about Simmons, but we already have a player with a similar skillset.

I get what you're saying about the coaches having more information than we do, but I also know they're more shortsighted than fans are. McMillan needs wins today for the sake of job security. I only care about championships and what it will take to get there. Johnson can be part of the equation moving forward, but we won't know for sure if he's not given the oppurtunity to play. I thought after we drafted him that he could become the player we hoped Josh Smith would be. Superb athlete, versatile defender,  great passer and hopefully one day a good shooter. Even without a jumpshot, his other attributes would help if the coaches would open their eyes.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yeah . . . keep that dude away from ATL. 

If he's willing to say that already about Brooklyn, without playing a single game, there's no telling what his mindset will be when he actually IS healthy.  Let that be Brooklyn's headache.  If it works for them, great.  If it doesn't, that's great too.

I agree.. but..  with the rumor out, I'm wondering is this a "Work".  The timing is just right....

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, GameTime said:

I'm wondering if Mitchell is traded for some package including Herro.. maybe Herro/Lowry..

While I had no fear about Lowry.. a Mitchell, Butler Backcourt is something that makes me Pause.  With the way Miami plays defense, they could dominate the East if they had a real big man?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I'm wondering if Mitchell is traded for some package including Herro.. maybe Herro/Lowry..

While I had no fear about Lowry.. a Mitchell, Butler Backcourt is something that makes me Pause.  With the way Miami plays defense, they could dominate the East if they had a real big man?

The Hawks cannot afford to let Mitchell go to the Heat. Even if the fit isn't ideal, I'd hope we make an offer better than Miami's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Making the playoffs doesn't matter if you get beat 4-1 in the first round. We still underacheived.

Respect you. Don't respect the take. We just fundamentally disagree on this, as we both know. I won't slow you down with more of the same discussion we've already had.

38 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This is more about promises but things are coming apart for Utah. That said, Utah still has to act on trades. 

Looks like Mitchell wants out. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34043904/donovan-mitchell-surprised-disappointed-sources-say-quin-snyder-leaves-utah-jazz

Amid the reverberations of Quin Snyder's departure after eight seasons as the Utah Jazz coach, All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell is described as "unsettled, unnerved and wondering what it means for the franchise's future," sources told ESPN on Sunday.

Mitchell considered Snyder a significant part of his reasoning for committing to a five-year maximum contract extension in 2020, and Snyder's decision to step away on Sunday has left Mitchell "surprised and disappointed," sources told ESPN.

Mitchell remains fond of Snyder and accepts his reasons for stepping down, but he's spending the immediate aftermath of Snyder's decision trying to process what the coach's loss means in the larger scope for the organization and himself, sources said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

All that tells me is fire sale in Utah.  Expirings, picks, prospects should be all it takes….were it anyone else manning the helm.  Mitchell and Gobert could be fist fighting in the locker room with newly hired Lloyd Pierce trying to break it up yet Ainge’s price will still be 3 lotto picks a head. 

Fire sale or not, if multiple teams want Mitchell, and they surely do, then the cost will be significant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The Heat have the best defensive big man in the game, it's high time more folks realized this. Yes, Miami has other good defenders too and have a great defensive culture, but none of it works without Bam on the floor. He's obviously not on par with Joker or Embiid yet because his total package is still lacking a bit on the offensive end. But he's easily the best defensive big man in the game since his scheme flexibility allows for things like neutralizing someone like Trae while also being stout enough versus traditional 7 footers. 

BTW, I'm sure everyone noticed that not a single one of the final four playoff teams this year employed a traditional 7 footer drop-style defensive center, right? Right? 

Right??? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Hey... I had questions too.

However,  I think they like Bogi's shooting/scoring and in the draft at #7, you're not going to find anybody with Bogi's resume...

PLUS.. Detroit has the 5th pick.  Maybe they need a vet?

AND.  The last #7 that they got a hold of is Killian Hayes.   Wouldn't you be shell shocked??

No.. My questions were about why we didn't do this deal at the deadline.. Bogi for Grant.   But maybe we wanted to have hope that JC would get healthy or maybe they wanted more than Bogi?  Idk... Then I have to cosider that we were shopping Cam.. so.. .maybe.. we had a different package?

However, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens on draft night. 

Detroit isnt giving up 7 for Bogi. They know about his knees too...