• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

My source when asked said we took BPA just like the year before with Jalen. They saw a player they had rated in the lottery fall to 16 and took him. He did say it was kinda funny that SAS worked him out so much but didn't take him. I asked the same question about was he taken to be traded later and was told "nothing is off the table except trading Trae."

I asked about the secret trade and the Collins situation. I was told that Landry Fields was the one responsible for the misinformation being intentionally leaked to media. I asked why was it so important to do that. The feeling is that Landry felt TS was too open about trade targets and in public comments. Felt the team needed to throw teams off the scent and hide our true intentions to give us an advantage in trade talks or free agent talks.

Source said no one in the FO truly believed it was necessary to trade Collins by draft night. That was a leaked rumor to the media. I asked about Murray. Source got a little secretive about that and the secret trade. Said the feeling was SAS leaked the Murray talks at the last second to try and get more interest/force the Hawks to give up more assets. 

FWIW based off his comments I do think the Murray situation was our secret trade. Source said the talks are not dead on Murray. Apparently we're engaging the Nets still on KD talks and until the Brooklyn situation is sorted out it is putting a pause on other talks. They did confirm the report that the Hawks had talks with several teams about Collins as genuine. 

I am not stating the Murray trade was the secret trade as a fact simply that is my informed opinion. I'm curious if @thecampster and @NBASupes feel the same way.

No, confirmed. That was it!

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Its one thing when other players don't like a teammate, but its a whole other situation when that player's OWN head coach goes on a conference call and lets the league know that even HE doesn't like how Trae plays the game.  Some of yall keep hiding your heads in the sand.  Pierce gone.  Reddish gone and Collins on his way out.  Trae has the juice in Atlanta so since he has that much control, the Hawks failures BEGIN AND START WITH HIM.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261709/Lloyd-Pierce-Complained-About-Trae-Youngs-Foul-Drawing

Lloyd Pierce Complained About Trae Young's Foul Drawing

Lloyd Pierce’s comments about Trae Young’s game was surprising for other coaches around the league.

During a league office Competition Committee call on Dec. 30, Pierce was among a couple of members who spoke out about the way certain players are able to draw fouls. 

Pierce spoke about how he “hates” the shots Young takes at times and the fouls he’s able to draw on them.

Loyd leaves and we go on to to Eastern conference finals. Two wins away from competing for a championship. Meanwhile Loyd somehow makes the team he goes to worst. I fail to see your connection. In fact you are proving my point further.  If Trae doesn’t twist his ankle because if that silly referee, we might already have a championship with him. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Didn't have on my bingo card Squawkers defending Lloyd freakin Pierce...

EVER.

But here we are. :bad:

Wha... huh???

No one told me there were bingo cards. I love bingo.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

To the OP topic...

Sounds like there's at least some new reason to anticipate Gallo's contract could be guaranteed for the full $21.5m after all, yes? I mean, assuming a JC trade were to go down?

Well, the Hawks did make a draft-night trade. It just didn’t involve the player we’ve all been discussing for weeks now (John Collins). It also didn’t benefit the Hawks in any way. In fact, the only one who benefited from the trade was Hawks owner Tony Ressler.

The Hawks’ big draft-night trade Thursday saw the team send the 44th pick to Golden State for $2 million in cash and pick No. 51. Let me be very clear about this deal: There is no basketball reason the Hawks made this trade. The $2 million doesn’t help the salary cap, and it doesn’t help them avoid the luxury tax. It has no benefit to increasing your Hawks fandom in any way.

These were the players drafted from picks 44 through 50: Ryan Rollins, Josh Minott, Ismael Kamagate, Vince Williams Jr., Kendall Brown, Isaiah Mobley and Matteo Spagnolo. If any of them becomes a high-level contributor for another team, you can thank Ressler for the Hawks not having the chance to draft him. Oh, and the pick they sold at No. 44 was to the NBA champion Golden State Warriors, who frankly don’t care what it takes to possibly make their team better.

Sure, picks this late in the draft rarely pan out anyway (Nikola Jokic, picked 41st and the reigning back-to-back MVP winner, is the exception, not the rule), but it actively hurts the franchise to drop seven slots for no reason at all. UConn’s Tyrese Martin, whom the Hawks picked at No. 51, could end up being a fine player for Atlanta, but the trade is still an awful one and a move that cannot be sold to the fan base as smart basketball decision-making. This isn’t on president of basketball operations Travis Schlenk or soon-to-be general manager Landry Fields. This is only on Ressler.

The Hawks did make a smart basketball move in the first round, though, by taking Duke’s AJ Griffin. No, he doesn’t immediately solve the franchise’s glaring need for better defenders; Griffin is quite poor on that end right now. He’s 18 years old, though. The hope is his near 7-foot wingspan will help him become a good defender at some point.

For the second consecutive year, the Hawks landed a prospect they weren’t expecting to be on the board by the time commissioner Adam Silver announced the pick. Last draft, Jalen Johnson didn’t work out for the Hawks and had little communication with the franchise before he heard his name called by Atlanta. Before this draft, Griffin didn’t work out for the Hawks and only had a meeting with the organization at the combine. When asked about what he thinks he can provide for the Hawks on the defensive end, Griffin had a hilarious answer that made me believe he took comedy classes during his one year at Duke.

“To be able to be in an organization that takes pride in that, that’s definitely going to be something I look forward to. Defense wins championships,” Griffin said.

He clearly hasn’t been paying close attention to the Hawks for the past several years. He’s forgiven, though. It’s an admirable answer for a rookie. But getting better defensively is a must for Atlanta this offseason, or the team’s ceiling will be limited again. Griffin isn’t helping the team on that end this season; he may not help at all with how raw he is. As with Johnson in his rookie year, it shouldn’t be expected that Griffin will be in the rotation at any point this coming season. There’s also always the possibility of the Hawks making a deal in the coming weeks that could include Griffin. When asked if the Hawks plan to keep him, Fields only said this: “We picked AJ because we really like him. Our plan is to have him.”

If you believe in Atlanta’s publicly stated plans, then you’ll also take Fields at face value when asked about the team’s plans involving Collins. Here’s what I asked about how the organization sees Collins as part of its future.

Is that supposed to inspire confidence that Collins is going to be a Hawk for much longer? Probably not. Before the draft started, I reached out to someone close to Collins who said they felt 50-50 on the power forward remaining with the Hawks past Thursday night but that “he won’t be a Hawk past this summer.”

The truth is no one across the league who I’ve spoken with believes Collins will be on the Hawks’ opening night roster. The unfortunate reality is Collins and his family are left in limbo as they await what feels inevitable. It’s become an all-too-familiar situation for Collins several years running now. Every trade deadline and every offseason the question has always been: Is this when Collins gets traded? Whether or not you believe Collins can be an important player in the Hawks’ title pursuit, it does feel a little sour that, for someone who has always been clear about wanting to be in Atlanta, those feelings aren’t reciprocated even after he signed a five-year, $125 million contract last offseason. The money is obviously nice, but feeling wanted and appreciated is equally important.

So now we all wait for what happens with Collins. There’s still a chance he could be dealt to San Antonio as part of a package for All-Star guard Dejounte Murray. There’s always a chance of someone else across the league suddenly becoming available. Brooklyn’s situation bears monitoring. Kyrie Irving could leave, which could set in motion Kevin Durant wanting to play elsewhere and possibly the Nets being forced to trade both stars. The Hawks, of course, would have no interest in Irving but obviously would be interested in Durant. Durant doesn’t have trade veto powers, and if the Nets do have to hit the reset button, the Hawks have several young players who could make a trade with Atlanta an enticing option for Brooklyn. That’s probably a pipe dream for the Hawks, but it’s not entirely unrealistic.

The Hawks could still pursue Phoenix Suns center Deandre Ayton in free agency. Sources tell The Athletic that the Hawks’ interest in the 23-year-old would be contingent on landing him for less than a max contract. That may not be an option, as the Pistons, who have the cap space for a max contract, are expected to be aggressive in their pursuit of Ayton in free agency.

There was a sense of disappointment that the Hawks didn’t make any splashy moves on draft night, but this is just one day of many this offseason. There’s still time for the Hawks to improve their roster. As Fields said, “We’ve been mandated to get better, and we want to get better.”

It’s obvious that the Hawks view one of their pathways to getting better as trading Collins. Everyone expects it.

“He’s done in Atlanta,” a source close to Collins said.

Now we wait for the Hawks’ next move. Let’s just hope for all of you that this trade makes more sense than the one they pulled off Thursday night. You deserve better than that.

10 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

By that logic Trump was damn good wasn't he lol

Policy aside, politics aside. He was really good at energizing his base, and he was great for ratings on every news network. Even viewers who hated him would tune in to watch what he did every single night. It was mind boggling the amount of texts my mother would send me about the man each day. I even told her, I think that you hate this man so much you might secretly be in love deep down. She couldn't do anything but laugh

People either hate to love you, or love to hate you. 

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Getting the thread back on Track.  Go GET HIM SCHLENK!

That’s exactly what I thought when Detroit traded for Duren. They supposedly had him as a top prospect so they jumped on the opportunity when he dropped to 13. Hopefully that means they’re out of the running for Ayton. Let’s get Murray and Ayton! 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Acrimonious - : angry and bitter : caustic, biting, or rancorous especially in feeling, language, or manner

I had to google it so guessing others might too LOL

sounds like such a nice word too lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Acrimonious - : angry and bitter : caustic, biting, or rancorous especially in feeling, language, or manner

or if you are like me and was forced to watch Acrimony with your wife, you knew this already 😆

7 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I did google it too, but I knew it wasn't anything nice lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I bet there is tension with Kyrie and their owner is probably driving that he doesn't want to pay Kyrie for 5 years - Didn't help his cause that the entire city and state was against him with his views. BUT, how in the world is that dude gonna end up on the Lakers.

Is it either him or Durant but not both on the Heat?

It can definitely be likely that Kyrie goes to the Heat and Durant stays with Brooklyn. Durant probably has very few places he would force a trade to... nowhere in the midwest... Maybe Dallas or Hawks or Golden State or Phoenix? Washington? Toronto?

We are probably one of 2-3 teams that are actual Murray suitors for a fit..

With Durant we are probably one of 30 teams that would be suitors and that is scary.

Edited by theheroatl

52 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

And we dropped the ball. SMH. 

The ball is still in the air. 

People understand the Kyrie/KD situation has put EVERYTHING on pause, right?

Right? 

And I mean, on pause. Not ended.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Do the Timberwolves have the assets to pay the price for Murray? 

Heard they were trying to trade Dlo and picks for him, but I'd have to think JC + Griffin/picks is a better offer than anyone else could/would make.

Especially considering JC is probably worth 2 Frp himself, so if SAS want to rebuild, getting essentially at least 4 Frp picks for Murray has to be the best deal around? 

Really want this to happen more than any other move 😭

• Like 2