• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

32 minutes ago, sturt said:

You're sure about this (?).

I remain baffled. This came up a few weeks ago with Supes.

The 21-22 season is done, but the inherent assertion is that the 21-22 season salaries still apply... and that's just foreign to me. As far as I've ever known, trades that are made after the season but before 7/1... because the player has already played and made his 21-22 money... technically aren't official until after 7/1 and accordingly must be based on the salary for the next season.

But your telling me this suggests I'm wrong... and not just that I'm wrong present tense, but literally for all the time we've been doing this salary cap thing in the NBA, I've been wrong.

I've scoured the CBA FAQ site. Not finding evidence I'm wrong. Help me.

See last year.

OFF-SEASON

• August 2, 2021 (6pm eastern) — Beginning of upcoming salary cap year’s moratorium period

• August 3 — Start of salary cap year

This year's moratorium period begins July 1.

Start of Salary cap year should be July 2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm not being purposely obtuse when I ask... what exactly do you mean by this?

Real Hawks really did achieve .621.

To my knowledge, the Nets did not have to resort to 3rd stringers and G-Leaguers in their starting line-up, but I'll double-check that.

They defintiely resorted to 3rd stringers in their starting lineup.

When they lost Dinwiddie, they lost a lot of the firepower off the bench that made them a huge threat the previous season.

Look at that starting lineup they put out on the floor for this particular game vs the Lakers

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202201250BRK.html

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, thecampster said:

but there is a chance Brown is shopped this offseason and if so, we'd be one of his preferred destinations.  Do I think its happening, no. Do I think its possible?...small chance.

Screenshot_20220625-133001_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, thecampster said:

New salary cap is instituted the day after day 1 of the new season during the moratorium.

I get that. That's understood.

Mulligan?

Season ends.

Trades are made before 7/1.

Does the current year's salary still apply? Like, if we traded Gallo today, would his salary for the purposes of that trade be $20.5m or $21.5m?

I'd taken it that it's $21.5m. His 21-22 salary ($20.5m) has already been paid. In terms of salary exception in a trade, it doesn't apply. That's wrong, though?

18 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Wade immediately turned the Heat around, and won in the playoffs.  Once that happened, Riley didn't waste any time to act and put greater talent around him.  This is what we must do with Trae. 

There is no time to wait for people to develop in 2 - 3 years, because by that time, Trae could be disgruntled and being wooed by every franchise that covet his service.  And by year 4 of his big deal, he could be asking out.

Some say we shouldn't cater to Trae's demands.  I say that is unrealistic in today's NBA.  A front office can do what they thing will make the team successful, but they better make sure their star player is totally bought into their vision.

Say what you want about players conspiring to team up to play with each other, that has proven ( most of the time ) to be a winning formula.  The last thing we want, is for Trae to end up like Dame Lillard in Portland, whose organization shoud've been traded CJ McCollum to put a frontline star player with Dame, instead of trying to with with a great backcourt that had maxed out its value. 

It was OK to roll with CJ and Dame for a few years.  But once they saw that it wouldn't get them deep into the WC Finals, they should've sold high on CJ.

Instead, they wanted too long and got moderate value for him.  

Been preaching this since last off-season.  You were about the only person to agree.  

Once Trae showed he could drop 50 points in an ECF, our timeline changed.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

Been preaching this since last off-season.  You were about the only person to agree.  

He wasn’t the only one! Trust me!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thecampster said:

Okay so the draft is over, June 29th is fast approaching.  Why haven't we done anything?

The Hawks' offseason is all tied up in Gallo. If we keep Gallo on the roster, we're in the LT with 6 players to sign.

If we waive Gallo we're 13 million from the LT with 7 players to sign.

The offseason begins (always has) with Gallo.  That decision happens within 4 days one way or another.

This isn't to say Gallo won't be traded after the moratorium. He could be and that's part of the oddness that is this offseason.

What happens with Collins?

July 8th opens up a world of opportunities as it pertains to Collins. This is the end of the moratorium and for other teams whose extensions are kicking in, their new salaries are kicked in July 8th. This opens up the trade partners for Collins. That said, I'd give us a 50/50 chance to get a deal done for Murray and if so, this should create a trade exception for us as well to use later (see Gobert). There's some moving parts here.

What about Huerter?

July 8th his full salary kicks in, making trading him, packaging him with CC easier to do.

What about BB? 

His salary stays the same as last year. This helps his trade value as he's a better bargain this year than last (lower percentage of the cap with less years of salary left). I never expected BB gone before the moratorium ended and I expect both Utah and Boston to come sniffing as well as Brooklyn.  There's an outside chance he lands in LA.

What about Capela?

Similar to BB. Big jump in the cap compared to the jump in his salary with 1 less year remaining. He's a better trade target this year, than last. I didn't expect Capela moved before July 8th.

What about Ayton?

IMHO we're 3rd on that list right now. Mostly likely landing spot, Detroit. 2nd most, resign with Phoenix.  

What about Gobert? IMHO we are 2nd on the list behind Utah right now. Best guess is he stays there but I'd say we've got about a 40% chance of landing him. Any deal for Gobert (from our end) is going to be Capela, Bogi (or Huerter), + picks (current or future).

What about other?  There is an outside chance we could end up in a Jaylen Brown sweepstakes. This is one of the few deals we'd consider JJ or OO in. There are other minor players we could be in the hunt for.

We can't make any decisions on Wright, Knox, others until we settle Gallo and any potential upgrade trades.  Most of our opportunities don't materialize until July 8.  This is why the ball is now in SAS' court.  If they want to get Collins before other suitors arrive, they have 4 days to do it....before we waive Gallo. 

So in other words, everything is up to Gallo and that crazy situation in Brooklyn (I dont know why we should even get Durant, I would go after Simmons before him)

24 minutes ago, AHF said:

You are acting like he used the word in a way that isn’t the commonly understood meaning of it in modern language.  I doubt you were born into a year where calling a statement “dumb” in the United States wasn’t understood by every listener to mean that the statement was stupid.  

This seems pretty petty as far as disagreements go since it seems to be nothing about what was intended or understood by the statement.

Glad you went there.  My response was based on HIM being petty and calling me dumb.  That pettiness required the correct response.  Then, I told him later in the thread with nuanced statements that how a man THINKS, comes out in your speech. Society is controlled, EASILY, by the correct assumption that most of the thinking in society is informal (which he admitted), thus the informal statement of calling me "dumb".  The informal speech leads to the pettiness. I took him out of the pettiness to the formal.

You on the other hand had the correct THINKING and thus SPEECH by saying that even though you didn't agree on my assessment of Trae Young the player, I had the RIGHT to my own assessment on Trae and being "just" a fan doesn't invalidate my right to have that assessment. You didn't go informal and petty with me.

31 minutes ago, thecampster said:

because there is no chance of those 3 being on the market this offseason.  Though I'll take a step back, "outside chance" may have been too hopeful for those on the squawk looking for every possibility and making it a definite. 

Rumor out of Boston is they would break up Brown and Tatum if the right deal materialized. Brown is a player we've coveted for a long time who has local ties.  I'm not saying this is being discussed actively, but there is a chance Brown is shopped this offseason and if so, we'd be one of his preferred destinations.  Do I think its happening, no. Do I think its possible?...small chance.

I really wanna play 'what he said/what they heard' with this post.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

They defintiely resorted to 3rd stringers in their starting lineup.

This is probably true... it's hard to distinguish the Nets' 2nd and 3rd string simply b/c they pay so much for their front line guys, of course... but I'll grant that's it's more likely than not that players Nash did not consider to be his "rotation" players at the start of the season were in their starting line-up at some point(s) during the December/January covid spike. Not G-Leaguers though, as I compare against the opening night roster on RealGM.

But. My question was genuine... what did you mean by "using your Real Hawks theory"... ?

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Numbers.

2022-06-25_12-53-53.png

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

I'll only say this much...

... Yes, perhaps, but what are the unintended consequences?... you just reveal new team weaknesses... so there's no real advantage as a result.

Some things are easier to fix than others, and Murray's defense + playmaking has greater impact than his offense, which should come around as he wont be the focal point

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, akay said:

Some things are easier to fix than others, and Murray's defense + playmaking has greater impact than his offense, which should come around as he wont be the focal point

I'd be interested to hear that argument how you assess that the void left by JC vs. whoever fills that spot is lesser than the current state of the roster where you go from Huerter/BogBog to Murray.

My own sense is it's not a demonstrable difference, even being kind. I mean, really, have we forgotten how many of us threw up our hands after JC's injury and said, "Welp... guess we're not making the EC Finals this year for sure now."

A lot.

I can't believe it Chris, I understood why we traded Cam Reddish and it still hurts, but yes, it looks like we dodged a bullet. I believe this guy will still be a superstar if he can bite the injury bug. Cam needs a fresh start (young, losing team)where he can put up big numbers and develop. Unfortunately for him he played on two teams with plenty of depth at his position. I'm praying for the kid though.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Do any of y'all want Cam Reddish back?

He asked to be traded since he didn't want to be here - so that would be a no.

But if Knicks want to send us one of those 3 picks they got OKC why not :laugh1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2