• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Tyrese Martin

NBASupes

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I hope his handles and driving ability translates in the NBA: looks like he can drive left and finish left and also finish right and drive right and finish.

And he is big as heck with good handles! Love the pick!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Diesel said:

Don't sleep on Tyrese...

He may be in the rookie game before it's all said and done. 

I was 1st on his bandwagon and even I wouldn’t say that.

He won’t get enough action on the court to build up a resume.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Martin's approach to the summer: Play in everything. If there was an event that he could join, he did.

"I went to go play in the Reese's All-Star Game for the seniors during Final Four Weekend. I played in the 3-on-3 for the seniors for the money. I played in Portsmouth. I played in the G League Camp. I got invited to the NBA Combine. I had my workouts for ten different teams. I feel like I just took advantage of every opportunity with the mindset that there wasn't a better player in these workouts and I want it more than them."

If Martin emphasized the number of events he attended, he also downplayed his achievements.

·         Reese's All-Star Game: Led East team to a win, scored a game-high 22 points

·         Dos Equis 3X3U: Led Big East team to a win in the 16-team event for $50K

·         Portsmouth Invitational Tournament: Led his team to the Final where he scored a team-high 24 points

·         G League Elite Camp: Finished with a 13-point, 14-rebound double double to earn a nod to the NBA Combine.

Martin capped his summer with a strong performance in the NBA 2K23 Summer League in Las Vegas, where, among other things, Martin showed that he could drive to the rim looking to score. The number of switching defenses that the Hawks faced in Vegas necessitated that the Hawks find ballhanders who could make plays in isolation. With a roster that wasn't overwhelmingly deep in that area, the Hawks called on Martin in that area and he came through. In five games, Martin averaged 13.8 points on 45.6 percent shooting from the field.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

His addition makes the loss of Mays easier to accept. I like having an underdog on the team to cheer for (Skylar Mays, Mario West, Paul "Snoop" Graham, Nathan Knight, etc.). He's basically the swingman version of Mays. I can actually see Nate taking a liking to Martin due to his hard-nosed approach to the game. He'll still end up in College Park for most of the season though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hawkman said:

His addition makes the loss of Mays easier to accept. I like having an underdog on the team to cheer for (Skylar Mays, Mario West, Paul "Snoop" Graham, Nathan Knight, etc.). He's basically the swingman version of Mays. I can actually see Nate taking a liking to Martin due to his hard-nosed approach to the game. He'll still end up in College Park for most of the season though.

Mays is good but he was never going to be more than a 3rd stringer in the NBA. Just didn't have a legit position at this level.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Mays is good but he was never going to be more than a 3rd stringer in the NBA. Just didn't have a legit position at this level.

He's a decent combo guard. I thought he played well during the CV19 games. He didn't look like he didn't belong. He's the type of player that doesn't really hurt the team since he knows how to pick his spots.

• Like 1

How much pressure is Nate under?  Is this a "Win now or else" season?  Whether or not our young players develop will hinge on our head coach.  They can't get any game experience while sitting on the bench.  It requires time for any player to be regarded as a veteran.  

If Nate is under the gun to win now, he's not using inexperience youth.  

😎

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hawkman said:

He's a decent combo guard. I thought he played well during the CV19 games. He didn't look like he didn't belong. He's the type of player that doesn't really hurt the team since he knows how to pick his spots.

Yep but you gotta be able to play a role. Combo guards have to have a position. He wasn't athletic enough to be a 2 but not quick enough to be a 1. He was athletic enough to be a 2 in CP but not in the NBA