• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Tyrese Martin

NBASupes

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

It isn't monopoly money.  If we get $2M in cash without giving up anything of value,  

Ressler has eaten millions in worthless players to get us picks in the past.

In a vacuum id agree with you, but as Tony is a billionaire, I do not want to see cash saving moves. It doesn't help our team at all as Tony has the money to spend.

If Ryan Rollins and the person we got at 51 were on the same tier in our scouts eyes, I'd rather just get our guy instead of giving him away for $2 mil that doesn't directly help that Hawks. Indirectly it makes Tony happy to spend more or whatever, but I still don't like it lol 

• Premium Member

Last week, when asked what he was hearing about Tyrese Martin’s NBA Draft hopes, UConn coach Dan Hurley was hoping he would be doling out some I-told-you-so jabs.

“He flashed high-level athleticism,” Hurley said. “He’s physically strong. He’s blue collar. He’s got a chip on his shoulder. He’s a good guy. He has all the prerequisites in today’s NBA to make a career with it.”

Well, after hyping the 6-foot-6 guard all season, Hurley can rightfully utter that line. The UConn player who utilized that chip on his shoulder will be headed to the pros. Martin was drafted 51st by the Atlanta Hawks.

Martin’s stock rose thanks to being named to the Portsmouth Invitational all-tournament team after helping lead his team to the championship game. He earned an invite to the NBA’s G League Elite Camp, and he measured in at 216 pounds with a 6-8 wingspan. His play at the Elite Camp procured him a NBA Combine invitation — one of seven to advance.

At the combine, Martin played in both scrimmages, showing versatility and flashbacks to his recent UConn days. There was a driving layup and a nice 3 in the first scrimmage, in which he finished with 12 points on 5-of-11 shooting. He went 2 of 5 from beyond the arc, and he added five boards. In the second scrimmage, he finished with 15 points on 6-of-15 shooting. He shot 3 of 7 from deep, while also adding nine boards.

Scouting the top 75 prospects, The Athletic’s John Hollinger wrote, “He’s an iffy shooter, but his size, handle and defense, combined with an impressive 39-inch max vertical, give him some pathways toward rotation-ish usefulness as a backup at either wing spot. Martin also rebounds unusually well for a wing, with a 13 percent rebound rate in Big East games, checking another box in the positive column.”

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
6 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Ahem…..

Pulling for the kid. He is a basketball player. Stay aggressive.

Why'd he drop so low again? Not saying this performance is the norm for him, just curious.

• Thanks 1

One aspect of Martin reminds me of our own OG Joe Johnson. He’s very centered and balanced on the court as far as body strength, seems hard to bump him off his spots.

Seems to have a very strong lower body that creates this control. 

Again, not saying he is JJ like or anything but he plays very erect 🤭 and strong.

I haven’t seen too many of the other second rounders play but this kid seems solid. He may see some minutes in the regular season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aali34 said:

Why'd he drop so low again? Not saying this performance is the norm for him, just curious.

He's an older prospect (23) with lesser upside (sorta rigid, straight line driving athlete).  He kinda is what he is. But what he possesses is a mature frame and disposition. Blue collar, lunch pail kinda dude that comes to work everyday ready to set the tempo. 

Edited by gHost83
  • Like 4

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

He's an older prospect (23) with lesser upside (sorta rigid, straight line driving athlete).  He kinda is what he is. But what he possesses is a mature frame and disposition. Blue collar, lunch pail kinda dude that comes to work everyday ready to set the tempo. 

He had me at driving the lane, getting to the line. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bonkers said:

If Martin can become a Brandon Roy lite I would be VERY happy

He plays nothing like Roy. Roy was a monster mid range shooter and a tremendous playmaker. That said, I just hope he's like the Martin twin who plays for Charlotte 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

From what I understand, you should watch SL in the lens of 'how much of this will this player be asked to do with the real team'.

Eh, I can't see this kid being asked to create or get to the rim.  He's gonna be asked to defend and catch/shoot, imho.  How's he look there?

Funny Brendan Haywood said the same thing on air yesterday.. or someone did.

Vs other team’s 3rd units, Martin looks like the most solid 2nd round guard we’ve selected in a while. I envision him doing well against guys like Dalano Banton. WHO HE PLAY FO!!!-sir chucker

Again though, it’s summer league and many things should be taken with a grain of 🧂.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Liar 🤥, we all know he had you at the flex 💪🏿 :ohmy:

Yup, ai was just about to detect them lies.  That flex had @macdaddy swoonin'.. 

15 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Funny Brendan Haywood said the same thing on air yesterday.. or someone did.

Vs other team’s 3rd units, Martin looks like the most solid 2nd round guard we’ve selected in a while. I envision him doing well against guys like Dalano Banton. WHO HE PLAY FO!!!-sir chucker

Again though, it’s summer league and many things should be taken with a grain of 🧂.

Yeah, didn't mean to take away from the kid's solid performance.   Just got confused by folks going on about his taking it to the rim and whatnot.  It's cool and all but, if he get into a real game, I don't want to see the ball in his hands like that. 

• Haha 1