• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I can’t go through another/retool/reMESSUP

Spud2nique

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

WHY US?  We love our Hawk team.  We want the best for them.  We even have a special meeting place called Hawksquawk, where we get together and discuss everything Atlanta Hawk.

We've had more than our share of owners who were not the very best.  Apparently, from what we read, things have gone down hill in a hurry.  Why us?  

🥲

Ah well.  Summer is coming. 

GO ATL DREAM!

Ressler and Grant Hill and the other owners see the Hawks as a ...destination place to have fun at night in Atlanta. They wanted a big ticket item as must see basketball and they have that in Trae. Trae is their, I won't call him a messiah because that would be sacrilegious, so I will settle for sacred cow.

Trae checks off everything they want. In return, Trae is very smart and he and his dad know how much $$$ those owners are making off Trae. As a result, Trae is like basically every other superstar in the NBA that wants a real voice in the front office. And the coaching. And how he's marketed. 

There was an interview with Grant Hill with either All The Smoke or Knuckleheads this summer where Grant kinda goes into why the previous owners fail. he said they were basically racist and ignored the black fans. He said he and Ressler were not making that mistake and that started day one from when they got the team. This is one of the main reasons we have Trae over Luka. Trae sells more tickets because he's black in Atlanta than a white Euro in Luka would. There was zero basketball debate over that pick. It was not who was the better player but who was the better big ticket in the ATL. 

What I haven't really discussed until some other sources are reporting this in the last two years is that Ressler's kid has been basically forcing Travis to the side. Ressler's kid and Fields and Trae are the only voices that matter and are heard with the Hawks. There's a reason why Travis stepped down during the season which is highly unusual. There's a reason why Nate has indeed thought heavily about resigning as HC during the season. Notice when asked about it Nate did not refute that report. Not refuting it means it is true. That's how the media game is played.

We've never been in this position before as a fanbase. Even during the horrible A$G days they were stupid, cheap and incompetent but at least they let the basketball people run the team. Not Ressler. His kid who has no real basketball experience is running the franchise hand in hand with Fields, a first time GM who has fired competent basketball people to hire college buddies (true story, already reported elsewhere) and Trae who wants a new head coach and an elite offensive big man to play with.

I have been a Hawks fan since 1979 as a three year old. When we traded Luka I threatened to stop being a fan here because I knew that kid was a generational talent. And yes, Trae is a superstar so I was wrong about him. But this team is being run like the Donald Sterling era Clippers now. I strongly urge people reading the book "The Curse" that goes into the Clippers and how truly incompetent and cheap Sterling was. I fear that is where we are at now as a franchise. 

There's a reason you are hearing more leaks about the Hawks in the media and not just small potatoes like myself, @NBASupes and @thecampster . There's people in the front office (not as many now) that are against this rich kid being handed a NBA franchise like a toy along with an entitled player and a first time GM whose basically the fall guy and he has no idea he's being set up to be the fall guy now that Travis is gone. Travis was smart enough to get out before a lot of this will stick to him. 

I truly wish I had good news about what is going on. But I don't. I have kept a lot of this private because I was asked to but also because there was hope amongst ppl in the franchise that things would change. They did not. They are not going to change.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 6

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, swanlee said:

The wheels have come off the franchise in the last few months. Besides the on court losing it seems our front office is having serious issues and we are losing TS and others, also our owner is getting cheap and sacrificing our depth to stay out of the luxury tax. That does not even touch our coaching and roster issues.

I could easily see the franchise fall apart in the next month or so.

The true leader has to step up now. Is that Fields or is he on puppet strings?  If there is someone one else pulling the strings will the puppet master reveal themselves and start to take responsibility?

Steve Koonin. Save us. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

The true leader has to step up now. Is that Fields or is he on puppet strings?  If there is someone one else pulling the strings will the puppet master reveal themselves and start to take responsibility?

Steve Koonin. Save us. 

I'd say the running of the business has been handed to Nick by Tony.  Nick's priority is to appease Trae.  Landry's role is to assist Nick in appeasing Trae.  I'd say this is a recipe for disaster.  In a way, I wish I never really had been made aware of these shenanigans.  Tell me if I am wrong, but I don't recall hearing about Luka purposefully getting GMs and Coaches fired.  I know that some players have orchestrated the acquisition of certain players, but at least the players they fought to get have made it a full season before experiencing "the thrill is gone."  The ownership and front office management is a disaster, and I wonder if things would be this bad if we had not traded to get Trae.  I guess we'll never know.  I feel badly for some of the negative comments I've had about Schlenk.  I did not know people were undermining him early on.  What a mess.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Tell me if I am wrong, but I don't recall hearing about Luka purposefully getting GMs and Coaches fired. 

You're wrong.  Luka got Carlisle fired and got Porzingis Traded. 

In fact, after Carlisle "stepped down"...  This is what one player said that makes it clear who is in charge...

"It wasn't really about how Rick treated Luka. Luka hated how Rick treated other people."

This is after Carlisle "stepped down".   Tells you that Luka made that happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I'd say the running of the business has been handed to Nick by Tony.  Nick's priority is to appease Trae.  Landry's role is to assist Nick in appeasing Trae.  I'd say this is a recipe for disaster.  In a way, I wish I never really had been made aware of these shenanigans.  Tell me if I am wrong, but I don't recall hearing about Luka purposefully getting GMs and Coaches fired.  I know that some players have orchestrated the acquisition of certain players, but at least the players they fought to get have made it a full season before experiencing "the thrill is gone."  The ownership and front office management is a disaster, and I wonder if things would be this bad if we had not traded to get Trae.  I guess we'll never know.  I feel badly for some of the negative comments I've had about Schlenk.  I did not know people were undermining him early on.  What a mess.

Luka absolutely does it. He didn't like porzingis and he got traded. He got tired of Carlisle and he was let go. All current superstar players do these things. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You're wrong.  Luka got Carlisle fired and got Porzingis Traded. 

In fact, after Carlisle "stepped down"...  This is what one player said that makes it clear who is in charge...

This is after Carlisle "stepped down".   Tells you that Luka made that happen.

I stand corrected then.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Trae is nowhere near the Diva that Doncic is...  

In another instance, Doncic had just drawn his third foul midway through the third quarter of last season's playoff opener and was upset that Carlisle had opted to substitute for him. Carlisle ignored the superstar's gesture that indicated he wanted to play through foul trouble.

As Jalen Brunson checked in, Doncic briefly took his glare off Carlisle, dropping his head and clenching his fingers, squeezing the air as if he were crushing something in his hands. Doncic barked at Carlisle as he walked toward the Dallas bench, shaking his head along the way.

Doncic didn't stop at his seat at the end of the bench, stomping another 10 steps until he reached the short wall at the bottom of the arena's lower bowl. He leaned against the wall, rested his head on top of his arms, turned his back to the floor and remained there for most of the Clippers' ensuing possession. When he returned to the bench, Doncic stood and again shouted in Carlisle's direction before finally taking his seat.

Nobody on the Dallas bench blinked. Players, staffers and coaches had become accustomed to Doncic cursing out Carlisle, the dynamic between the generational star and championship-proven coach deteriorating with each passing clash.

After Doncic cooled off, Carlisle subbed him back into the game. He finished with a 31-point triple-double, leading the Mavs to the Game 1 win. The blowup was business as usual. 

Carlisle privately joked he had developed selective hearing, choosing to tune out Doncic yelling at him during games. Doncic was often bombastic in his disagreements with coaching decisions on the court, but refrained from sharing those criticisms of Carlisle in media availability.

I have watched a lot of players.  Many divas...  Lebron, Magic, Kobe, Jordan... but it's very rare that I ever remember any of them saying a whole lot to their coach during a game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Luka absolutely does it. He didn't like porzingis and he got traded. He got tired of Carlisle and he was let go. All current superstar players do these things. 

Trae? A superstar?  I thought superstars had people lining up wanting to play with them as their teammate.  Trae is a superstar...in his own mind.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
On 1/2/2023 at 2:15 PM, Sothron said:

Ressler and Grant Hill and the other owners see the Hawks as a ...destination place to have fun at night in Atlanta. They wanted a big ticket item as must see basketball and they have that in Trae. Trae is their, I won't call him a messiah because that would be sacrilegious, so I will settle for sacred cow.

Trae checks off everything they want. In return, Trae is very smart and he and his dad know how much $$$ those owners are making off Trae. As a result, Trae is like basically every other superstar in the NBA that wants a real voice in the front office. And the coaching. And how he's marketed. 

There was an interview with Grant Hill with either All The Smoke or Knuckleheads this summer where Grant kinda goes into why the previous owners fail. he said they were basically racist and ignored the black fans. He said he and Ressler were not making that mistake and that started day one from when they got the team. This is one of the main reasons we have Trae over Luka. Trae sells more tickets because he's black in Atlanta than a white Euro in Luka would. There was zero basketball debate over that pick. It was not who was the better player but who was the better big ticket in the ATL. 

What I haven't really discussed until some other sources are reporting this in the last two years is that Ressler's kid has been basically forcing Travis to the side. Ressler's kid and Fields and Trae are the only voices that matter and are heard with the Hawks. There's a reason why Travis stepped down during the season which is highly unusual. There's a reason why Nate has indeed thought heavily about resigning as HC during the season. Notice when asked about it Nate did not refute that report. Not refuting it means it is true. That's how the media game is played.

We've never been in this position before as a fanbase. Even during the horrible A$G days they were stupid, cheap and incompetent but at least they let the basketball people run the team. Not Ressler. His kid who has no real basketball experience is running the franchise hand in hand with Fields, a first time GM who has fired competent basketball people to hire college buddies (true story, already reported elsewhere) and Trae who wants a new head coach and an elite offensive big man to play with.

I have been a Hawks fan since 1979 as a three year old. When we traded Luka I threatened to stop being a fan here because I knew that kid was a generational talent. And yes, Trae is a superstar so I was wrong about him. But this team is being run like the Donald Sterling era Clippers now. I strongly urge people reading the book "The Curse" that goes into the Clippers and how truly incompetent and cheap Sterling was. I fear that is where we are at now as a franchise. 

There's a reason you are hearing more leaks about the Hawks in the media and not just small potatoes like myself, @NBASupes and @thecampster . There's people in the front office (not as many now) that are against this rich kid being handed a NBA franchise like a toy along with an entitled player and a first time GM whose basically the fall guy and he has no idea he's being set up to be the fall guy now that Travis is gone. Travis was smart enough to get out before a lot of this will stick to him. 

I truly wish I had good news about what is going on. But I don't. I have kept a lot of this private because I was asked to but also because there was hope amongst ppl in the franchise that things would change. They did not. They are not going to change.  

All of this sucks.  I was all over Luka the second that I saw he was 6'7"...I knew exactly what he would be.  However, having watched Trae these last 4 years, I know what he is...and boy did we dodge a bullet because he's really good too.  He's good enough for me to not be worried about Luka.

The implications of having a cheap owner does not bother me nearly as much as the meddling does.  Even a cheap owner will spend when that's the obvious play.  However, an owner that doesn't have passion for the game and is forcing decisions based around anything but on-court performance is the worst thing that could happen to us...and is sadly SO Atlanta-like.

I would say that they don't realize that this will 100% cause us to lose Trae.  Honestly though, maybe Ressler doesn't even care.  He is in a win-win.  He can milk this for what it's worth and maybe tank for a new star to refresh the cycle or worst case scenario: we land in the toilet and he sells the team for north of $2B. 

I liked Schlenk.  More importantly, I've lived through several incompetent ATL GM's.  I'm terrified of having to live through another while also having to deal with an owner who both meddles and has a lack of appreciation for the game.  If this stuff is true Soth, then it's a sad day to be a Hawks fan.  If this is our culture, I promise that I will have nothing to do with it.  I will hang my fandom in the closet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Trae is nowhere near the Diva that Doncic is...  

I have watched a lot of players.  Many divas...  Lebron, Magic, Kobe, Jordan... but it's very rare that I ever remember any of them saying a whole lot to their coach during a game.

Like someone said prior:  Trae is a Hawk and we follow him daily and see all his warts.  We don't see these other players warts unless you take the time to look, but guaranteed they are there.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I would say that they don't realize that this will 100% cause us to lose Trae.  Honestly though, maybe Ressler doesn't even care.  He is in a win-win.  He can milk this for what it's worth and maybe tank for a new star to refresh the cycle or worst case scenario: we land in the toilet and he sells the team for north of $2B. 

I think Ressler is cheap and wants to make money, but I don't think that he will do anything to jeopardize losing Trae and if possible he will do the obvious play to win a chip. 

We have to come to grips with it that Trae is at the big table.   We can ask Cavs Fans about Lebron the 2nd time.   I think him "letting" his son run the team is basically letting Trae know that he has the power to make whatever he wants to happen happen.   At the same time, setting up a legacy.   It's not quite Gearon and Gearon Jr.  because Ressler has more control but it's something. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I liked Schlenk.  More importantly, I've lived through several incompetent ATL GM's.  I'm terrified of having to live through another while also having to deal with an owner who both meddles and has a lack of appreciation for the game.

I'm not quick to say that Schlenk wasn't incompetent. 

He still has Cam, Mr. Glass, and OO on his sheet. 

it's interesting... we've been horrid at Drafting... but let's look em over:

BK:  Childress, Smoove, Marvin, Al, Shelden, Acie,  and Teague. 

Travis:  JC, Trae, Cam, Glass, OO, & AJ

Babcock:  Damn.. too many to remember. 

Ferry:  Dennis, Lucas, Payne 

Sund:  Damion jones, John Jenkins

Budd:  Prince, Bembry, 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Watchman said:

Trae? A superstar?  I thought superstars had people lining up wanting to play with them as their teammate.  Trae is a superstar...in his own mind.

He does. Why do you think DJM is here? He wanted to play with Trae. He dgaf about the Hawks just wanted to play with Trae. There's other guys that want to play with him.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, Watchman said:

His head got too big after the first playoff run. He's always played at his best with a chip on his shoulders but after the Miami Heat series embarassment he has had some funky energy, like he's insecure in his own ability and who he is trying to prove he is elite is himself instead of the haters. He has soo much maturing to do, and he's not a rookie anymore he is a veteran so I'm not wagering on him turning the corner mentally. And Trae is still really not the biggest problem, there isn't a facet of this team outside of Trae that is on the right track. 

On 1/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, Sothron said:

I don't believe it was race as to why they took Trae over Luka. Box office, yes. Race, no. Trae is box office and guess what, he delivered. Look at the attendance. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

His head got too big after the first playoff run. He's always played at his best with a chip on his shoulders but after the Miami Heat series embarassment he has had some funky energy, like he's insecure in his own ability and who he is trying to prove he is elite is himself instead of the haters. He has soo much maturing to do, and he's not a rookie anymore he is a veteran so I'm not wagering on him turning the corner mentally. And Trae is still really not the biggest problem, there isn't a facet of this team outside of Trae that is on the right track. 

Miami is not an indictment of Trae.  Not hardly.  The entirety of our offense last season was set up by Trae dribble penetration with no ball movement, nobody capable of even bring the ball up the court, and nobody, and I mean NOBODY, being able to step up and hit a consistent perimeter shot. 

They literally did to Trae what teams did to JJ.  Throw up a zone and dare the team to shoot over it.  Miami made us choose between tough contested shots/plays from Trae or someone else doing anything.  There was nothing for him to be insecure about.  I don't know of a single player that could survive that scenario - not even LeBron who had Wade, Bosh, and Ray Allen when San Antonio used the same strategy.

• Thanks 1