• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, JTB said:

- Capela is a sure goner. Doesn’t fit what Quinn wants to build or only offers some of what he’s looking for.

My friend, when you have a free agent market in a given off-season with several teams that have cap space, ie, that can accommodate bigger contracts, there is more certainty that teams have maneuverability to make trades.

And the converse is also true.

This is an off-season with only SAS, IND and HOU having any decent amount of space.

So, unless you're equipped with some draft picks that you can include in a given trade that would warrant a better quality player coming back to you, the hard truth is, the best  you can hope for is a player of approximately equal quality. Highly highly unlikely you're going to make a deal that gives you an objectively better quality player.

That's one point. There's another.

That is, the quantity of players out there that fit this description of what Quin is looking for is extremely limited to begin with.

Clint is anything but a sure goner. None of our roster are sure goners. The market constrains that idea, and the inventory of talent that qualify the ideal C depicted does so as well.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Quin wants a big that can defend on the perimeter

Where are you seeing that Lively "can defend on the perimeter"...?

Don't get me wrong, I was the first here (as far as I know) to pitch my tent in the Lively camp, so if we make a pick, he's at the top of my list, failing Black dropping. But from what I've seen, read, heard... that's one of Lively's weaknesses.

28 minutes ago, sturt said:

My friend, when you have a free agent market in a given off-season with several teams that have cap space, ie, that can accommodate bigger contracts, there is more certainty that teams have maneuverability to make trades.

And the converse is also true.

This is an off-season with only SAS, IND and HOU having any decent amount of space.

So, unless you're equipped with some draft picks that you can include in a given trade that would warrant a better quality player coming back to you, the hard truth is, the best  you can hope for is a player of approximately equal quality. Highly highly unlikely you're going to make a deal that gives you an objectively better quality player.

That's one point. There's another.

That is, the quantity of players out there that fit this description of what Quin is looking for is extremely limited to begin with.

Clint is anything but a sure goner. None of our roster are sure goners. The market constrains that idea, and the inventory of talent that qualify the ideal C depicted does so as well.

You’re right I shouldn’t have said “sure goner”…with the extremely limited center Quinn wants but do I think he’s here as a starter next year? Not a chance.

But hey he can come off the bench and be extremely impactful. He’s an expensive ass bench player but so was Gallo .

37 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I need to see footage of Lively defending in space on the perimeter. I’ve watched him before (not all his games) but Lively doesn’t strike me as someone who can effectively defend the perimeter.

I do believe OO can reach that status fairly quickly however of being an all around defender period. I would bet money that OO is close to untouchable until Quinn/Staff sees a larger sum of centers who fits his description of best fit.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Dean Walker said:

The Celtics are going to max brown and try keep him and Tatum together for the next 5+ years.

That's a lot of money.

2 Supermax contracts.   I don't know if that's been done.

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, JTB said:

Not a chance.

I would agree that Yeka's got a great chance to ascend to starter status, but to say "not a chance" seems still a little strong. We're not talking the later stages of Jon Koncak here. Clint is a legitimate NBA starter.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, sturt said:

Am I missing something?

2023-05-28_19-30-52.png

I would say look at how constrained they were  but the league always bends to the Lakers will to allow them to do what they want to do. 

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

... hehe...

More seriously, and at the risk of stating the almost obvious... it matters a lot whether Masai is attempting to remain competitive, or is going into rebuild mode. No one seems to have a clear bearing on that yet. Just a lot of speculation.

More

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

the league always bends to the Lakers

So wait... I mean, I'm no Lakers defender here and absolutely no Adam Silver defender, but... bending?... What did the league do that you're talking about? Have no clue where that's coming from, but/and feel free to educate me.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, sturt said:

So wait... I mean, I'm no Lakers defender here and absolutely no Adam Silver defender, but... bending?... What did the league do that you're talking about? Have no clue where that's coming from, but/and feel free to educate me.

These moves are unbelievable...

• Acquired G D'Angelo Russell from Minnesota in exchange for a 2024 draft pick.
  • Acquired F Jarred Vanderbilt and G Malik Beasley from Utah in exchange for F Juan Toscano-Anderson, C Damian Jones, G Russel Westbrook and a draft consideration
  • Acquired G Davon Reed and a second-round pick from Denver in exchange for C Thomas Bryant.
  • Acquired C Mo Bamba from Orlando in a four-team trade.

What are draft considerations?

Mo Bamba is a 10.3 Million dollar player with great upside.  They got him for Pat Bev and a 2nd round pick?

The whole world saw how terrible Westbrook was.   Utah traded for him... why?  They gave up good young players for a guy that they would immediately cut.   Please explain the reason for Utah doing this?  Was it.. Draft Considerations?

I'm not saying that the league makes this happens or it's a conspiracy.  However, these moves are damn amazing considering that they started with virtually nothing and got a great young players everywhere. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

These moves are unbelievable...

• Acquired G D'Angelo Russell from Minnesota in exchange for a 2024 draft pick.
  • Acquired F Jarred Vanderbilt and G Malik Beasley from Utah in exchange for F Juan Toscano-Anderson, C Damian Jones, G Russel Westbrook and a draft consideration
  • Acquired G Davon Reed and a second-round pick from Denver in exchange for C Thomas Bryant.
  • Acquired C Mo Bamba from Orlando in a four-team trade.

Mo Bamba is a 10.3 Million dollar player with great upside.  They got him for Pat Bev and a 2nd round pick?

The whole world saw how terrible Westbrook was.   Utah traded for him... why?  They gave up good young players for a guy that they would immediately cut.   Please explain the reason for Utah doing this?  Was it.. Draft Considerations?

I'm not saying that the league makes this happens or it's a conspiracy.  However, these moves are damn amazing considering that they started with virtually nothing and got a great young players everywhere. 

Actually you are saying it's a league driven conspiracy. What other point would you be trying to make?

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Whenever I'm in doubt, I normally go to this reference...

2023-05-29_06-46-01.png

So, I'm as lost as bleach... teams make good and bad decisions all the time. That's a different thing than the suggestion that the league... whether HQ or just the collective other 29 teams... is "bending" to make LAL better. Again, don't like being in the position of defending LAL or Silver, but I see nothing but business as usual... nothing to see here.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Well, let me rephrase...

Historically, a lot of teams make bad decisions that comes out in the Lakers favor. 

Just now, Diesel said:

Well, let me rephrase...

Historically, a lot of teams make bad decisions that comes out in the Lakers favor. 

Therefore, a lot of teams won't be able to replicate what the Lakers can do with 2 supermax contracts. 

12 hours ago, KB21 said:

You mean like Wendell Carter Jr and Derrick Favors. Let's be clear, we haven't seen an Al Horford since him and the closest I've seen to him as a wing (Mikal Bridges)

13 hours ago, sturt said:

Where are you seeing that Lively "can defend on the perimeter"...?

Don't get me wrong, I was the first here (as far as I know) to pitch my tent in the Lively camp, so if we make a pick, he's at the top of my list, failing Black dropping. But from what I've seen, read, heard... that's one of Lively's weaknesses.

I'm with you on Dereck Lively.  I believe that he's what the Hawks need.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

I'm with you on Dereck Lively.  I believe that he's what the Hawks need.

:smug:

If I could trade Dereck Lively for Jalen Duren or Mark Williams, I would easily do that.   I believe that the bigs from the last class were much better than Lively and much more NBA ready.   However,  I love that we got AJG.  I believe tht Griff Money is going to be as big as Kobe if he is allowed to grow.

People that say JJ > AJG need to have their BBIQ examined. 

• Like 2