• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Jazz

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Fn7_YBjXgAE8H8x?format=jpg&name=large

“Wax on! Wax off!”

Hi there! It’s your Friendly Neighborhood Schedule Fiend here. It is time, once again, to share the latest rest advantage the upcoming opponent has over your Atlanta Hawks.

Let’s see who we have here. Ah, yes, it’s the Utah Jazz, all geared up and loaded for bear tonight (9 PM Eastern, Bally Sports Southeast and 92.9 FM in ATL, AT&T SportsNet in SLC). They enjoyed three off-days before outlasting the Raptors on Wednesday at Vivint Arena, a place they haven’t had to stray far from in nearly a month. They won’t need to hit the road again until this five-game homestand concludes and Toronto, in whatever form they’ll look like by next Friday, comes calling again.

The Hawks are the third visitor in this homestand, which will make it a stretch of 11 games in SLC out of 13 for the Jazz by the time it concludes, broken up previously just by trips to division rivals Minnesota and Portland. They had two off-days prior to the start of this homestand, when they pounced on a Luka-less and Wood-free Mavs squad. They’ll get two more off-days after today, whereupon Dallas, possibly without an injured Luka again, winds its way through what used to be turnstiles.

Can Atlanta get a day off before traveling from here to face the NBA West’s top-seeded Denver? Silly Rabbit. That’s what yesterday was for!

We’ve grown accustomed to our Hawks’ lead players waiting until January (February, these days) to cram for their All-Star assignments. It turns out, getting 29 coaching staffs to check an All-Star Reserves box beside the guy whose feud with a venerated but burnt-out peer went public once the latter declined to show up to a game is a hard row to hoe. Yes, even when said player ranks third in the NBA East for per-game assists, seventh for scoring.

So you all take a good, hard look at The Trae Young (24-22), Utahans. You’re not likely to see him again anytime soon around these parts, not unless he’s winning 2024’s Jury Prize at Sundance.  My guess is when Hawkman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Onyeka Shooting a Three), based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire, is ready For Your Consideration.

In a pinch, the Commissioner can always call on Jalen Brunson (26-23), Or, the Beard, if things get really hairy. Or, Jimmy Butler (21-17)! Or DeMar (23-25)… what’s that? He’s already in? Oh, OK.

(Shoehorning in my annual gripe that there should be 13 All-Stars per team, not 12, since we’ve been doing 13-man minimum rosters since the 1980s, when we had like 80 percent as many teams. We’ll see you this time next year, sweet gripe of mine!)

Now, as for a certain Layton, Utah native power forward, who made it onto the rolling credits for his nine points and two boards (three blocks, though!) at the end of the Hawks’ last boffo production, Sunraker? You Beehive Staters will just have to wait and see if you’ll get to see him again in 2023. I’m told somebody’s working on it.

That somebody probably isn’t Danny Ainge, notorious for his teams declining to make major Trade Deadline moves. Don’t fret, my Jazz fans, John Collins might still be coming to an arena near you. He just might do so as a repeat visiting opponent.

Back on the subject of All-Star accolades, Lauri Markkanen (seventh among Westerners in scoring, twelfth in RPG, if one discounts AD and Zion) and the Jazz had it figured out, from the jump. When it comes down to voting for the NBA’s midseason classic, it’s not how you finish, it’s how you start. Ask Zion, he knows the deal.

We all recall when coach Will Hardy’s club was hotter than fish grease at a Captain D’s victimized by arson. Lauri was on the markk at State Farm (6-for-8 3FGs, 8-for-8 FTs, team-highs of 32 points and 8 boards), stubbing Atlanta’s three-game streak in a 125-119 win that surged the overachieving Jazz (five straight W’s against ATL; five straight W’s @ ATL) to a stunning 10-3 dash out of the blocks.

That was notable insofar as it was Utah’s fourth-straight win, and more noteworthy given they haven’t won three in a row since that November 9 game, tonight coincidentally being the sixth consecutive chance that the Jazz will have to do so. But hey, have you heard how great The Finnisher has been? How you seen the weekly highlight dunks? Wowzers, where is my ballot?

In the forty games since last beating the Hawks, with all eyes on Markkanen, Utah as a team has taken up the spirit of Jordan Clarkson, King’s Peak in offensive efficiency (3rd-best in NBA since November 9), Beaver Dam Wash at the other end (3rd-worst in NBA, ahead of just SAN and DET). That’s allowed them to look like the Bonneville Salt Flats statistically, something you’re aware by now that the break-even Hawks like to do. But not so much in the unforgiving standings of the NBA West, the 17-23 skid dipping the Jazz down to 8th in their conference.

Opponents over Utah’s past forty games are connecting on threes at a 37.3 percent rate (5th-highest in NBA). And the Jazz are not winning many turnover battles, their +2.1 net turnover percentage since November 9 ahead of only the Rockets and coach’s pet All-Star Jrue Holiday’s Bucks.

The defense consists of basically funneling opponents inside to their All-Rookie ATLien, Walker Kessler (last two starts: 15.5 PPG on 82.4 FG%, 42.9 FT%; 12.5 RPG, 6.0 BPG), whose offensive presence in the sizable starting frontcourt lets Markkanen (43.2 3FG%) create matchup issues at the 3-spot and Kelly Olynyk (40.6 3FG%) to stretch out the floor even more at the four. Young and Dejounte Murray will want to avoid settling for floaters and short-range jumpers over Kessler’s outstretched arms, seeking paint shots only after drawing contact and hearing whistles.

Instead, the Hawks’ off-screen player movement, on display through much of Wednesday’s unexpectedly satisfying 132-100 win in Phoenix (season-best 57.6 3FG% and 19 makes, part of a season-high 32 assists), must again be the order of the day to match Utah’s offensive firepower.

This gamethread writer can finally pretend his team heeded his warning about recent lapses in perimeter closeouts, Atlanta holding the Suns to 4-for-28 3FGs on Wednesday. If I may quibble just a bit over the proceedings in Phoenix, the Hawks’ 24 personal fouls tied for the most since losing at Houston on November 25. That won’t fly against a Jazz club whose top-seven minute-getters feature six players shooting over 82 percent from the charity stripe.

Five teams, some with more recognizable All-Stars than Markkanen, are nipping at Utah’s heels from the 13-seed on up. But the good news is a victory today might nudge the Jazz back up as high as 4th place. And have I mentioned how the plentiful intermediate rest days, and travel-friendly schedule, have cushioned their fall (7-3 over past ten games)? Yes, the Jazz eventually has to figure out how to improve their road record (9-17, incl. 4-14 since last winning in ATL) to be taken seriously as a playoff contender. But that's hardly an issue for Hardy to deal with, not until this time next week.

Unlike the situation for Atlanta, it doesn’t really matter if the rebuilding Jazz, given their suppressed preseason expectations, closes out this season on a sour note. Either way, seemingly by design, they’re sleeping well. As for us, we'll meet up on the other side of the Rockies tomorrow!

Let’s Go Hawks!

~lw3

• Thanks 4

• Moderators

Two Hardy Boys assistants on Utah's bench got their NBA starts here in Atlanta. You all know Jason Terry, who got the Hawks Headband thing going long ago. But there's also the fabulously named Lamar Skeeter. Coach Skeet was just an intern here in the bball ops and video departments a decade ago. Good for him!

Italian backup wingman Simone Fontecchio's foot doesn't grow when he tells fibs, but it does get sore from time to time. His questionable designation is the sole item for either team on the Boo-Boo Report so far this afternoon.

~lw3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Silly Rabbit.

Dic… I won’t go there :laugh1: my bad.

Yes, even when said player ranks third in the NBA East for per-game assists, seventh for scoring.

No respect for the assist makes me sad.

Utahans

Utahians? No? :huh:

Hawkman

@hawkman AYE BRO YOU GOT A SHOUTOUT FROM THE GREAT LW3!!! 

Or, the Beard, if things get really hairy.

Oh no you did   ent! 

John Collins might still be coming to an arena near you. He just might do so as a repeat visiting opponent.

We groomed him he’s ours damnit! 

The defense consists of basically funneling opponents inside to their All-Rookie ATLien, Walker Kessler

Never thought the nephew of Alec would be this good. Sheesh. You spend a couple lousy seasons on the Heat bench and your brother’s son becomes a stud! Ain’t that a b!tch @lethalweapon3?

This gamethread writer

Should be a Hawk assistant coach.

That won’t fly against a Jazz club whose top-seven minute-getters feature six players shooting over 82 percent from the charity stripe.

@Gray Mule you never lie. FT for the win!

Markkanen

An absolute all star. Very worthy indeed. He’s had a fabulous year thus far. Career year by far.

As for us, we'll meet up on the other side of the Rockies tomorrow!

image.gif.6f8aa52a305805c0b1d5e87a93337db4.gif

Thanks as always lw3! Vegas has Utah -1.5. 2K upcoming…

GO HAWKS!!!

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

But there's also the fabulously named Lamar Skeeter. Coach Skeet was just an intern here in the bball ops and video departments a decade ago. Good for him!

Wow that’s cool. You already work for the Hawks don’t you? :er:

21 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Italian backup wingman Simone Fontecchio's

Wait, I feel like sir Charles in a who he play fo? Is he a member of the Jazz? :er:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Can we just not make Walker Kessler look like Ivan Drago to out Apollo Creed tonight?

I dont wanna have ta 'throw tha dayum towel.' 

Funny you mention that, he wasn’t the reason I beat them in 2K, he did well it was the feisty dude under him in the boxscore. :boxing:

Altho the +/- says differently.. hmmm..

8E8167D5-26B9-469D-88DF-472B3C56FFE0.jpeg