• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OFFICIAL: Hawks and All we do is Quin Quin Quin

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, sturt said:

Preface.

I'm prone, by choice, to being optimistic. I could be cynical, but cynical is too easy and at the same time, where's the joy in that? What, I get to celebrate later on that I was right about something dark happening and get to call the optimists to repentance? That's somehow appealing??? My ego needs stroking that  badly?

Assertion.

This team is going to take this energy boost--because they've proven that's mainly what they need is someone new and more highly and widely regarded than their previous 5 star general--and completely out-produce expectations as Hollinger's piece expresses current expectations. Will blow those out of the water.

This season.

We're agreeing on so much lately, even if your verbosity forces me to spend more time than necessary coming to that conclusion 😉

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Both Lyles and Hayward were both with Q during the early start of his coaching career, would love to know how he has evolved in that area by hearing from more recent players.

That would be interesting.   Hayward sounded like a bitter little girl.  I don't think he changed his style of working hard.   We will know soon enough.   I do believe we have a few players who may cry if he does make them work hard. 

11 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Since @thecampster mentioned it before there was no more divisive player on our roster with Nate and the coaches and the front office than Jalen. Nate flat out did not like Jalen and refused to play him. Boggles my mind how he couldn't see the talent right in front of his face. So excited for Snyder era!

Had no idea about this but not surprised.  Even last year after summer league I was wondering how we could possibly keep him off the court.  The dude is so talented.  6'9", elite athleticism, gifted passer, ballhandling skills, can lead the fast break, potential as a shooter.  We have to unlock him.

Edited by AtLaS
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Since @thecampster mentioned it before there was no more divisive player on our roster with Nate and the coaches and the front office than Jalen. Nate flat out did not like Jalen and refused to play him. Boggles my mind how he couldn't see the talent right in front of his face. So excited for Snyder era!

Why tho?  Hates Duke guys?  Is he me? 🤓

Serious question though, didn't JJ come in with some baggage?  Is this that? 

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Nate flat out did not like Jalen and refused to play him.

what was it EXACTLY that he didn't like? 

Wasn't ready? too young? Did Jalen mouth off? didn't want to spend time developing him? 

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Why tho?  Hates Duke guys?  Is he me? 🤓

Serious question though, didn't JJ come in with some baggage?  Is this that? 

JJ just had low awareness. He's a smart guy but his feel for the game is awful and he hasn't found how he impacts winning yet and because coach K kind of just pushed him to the side, he never really had that understanding. We had this issue with Josh Smith as well.  

I am glad Quin is here because we need someone who really can teach him the game and how to make an impact. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

Personally I've had to wonder what was going on.  I read the rave reviews that the G League coaches gave JJ.  They were really impressed with his talents.  I thought, "Is he destined to be just a great player in the G League and not good enough to be a very good NBA player?"

Quin Snyder now will have the opportunity to discover what the Hawks have with Jalen Johnson.  Reputation of being able to develop players will be put to the test with a lot of Hawk players.  We are not an old veteran team.  

Just imagine all the small things that our new coach brings.  Hawk players should be excited for this opportunity to learn, to be coached and become better than they are right now.

:smug:

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Nate took a lot of heat, of course, for not playing JJ after JC went down last season.

But his decision was defensible in light of the fact that coaches are expected to make the post season, and there was naturally greater risk in playing a rookie who'd played so little in his senior HS year, so little in his freshman year, and due to some of his own health issues, not all that much even in his rookie season in G-league.

Entering this season, Nate specifically explicitly plainly stated that he was expecting to see JJ earn minutes, and in context, replace Gallo behind John. IIRC, that was at the training camp presser.

What happened between then and now is just strange. I don't know how to explain it. It was the one sticking point for me, and I've never been one oozing with Nate hate as some have been. It was disappointing, and though I couldn't pretend myself as having any evidence either way, my inclination was that Nate was just seeing some things in practice that persuaded him he needed to take it especially slow with Jalen, and that giving Jalen too many minutes would necessarily translate into more risk of losing.

I still tend to think that because I am convinced that Nate was always going to make decisions pivoted on winning games today, and worry about tomorrow later. And, that he so quickly dispensed with playing veteran JDay over rookie AJ further solidified that reasoning, to me.

Will be interesting to see how QS approaches it all.

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Nate thought Jalen had an attitude problem. He also did not like how things went down in Duke. He thought Jalen was not ready and would not be ready in years if ever. The biggest problem is that Jalen became the touchstone topic of how out of touch Nate was and Jalen, fairly or unfairly, became the symbol of all the coach and front office in fighting. Nate's refusal to consider player development part of his job or his mandate with the team is a huge, huge reason why he was fired. 

Plauer devel is key for a building team.

I remember when I first started posting, you took me under your wing and showed me the ropes.

If there were no soth, there would be no kg01.  So, what I'm really saying is ..... it's all your fault, saffron!!!

Hahahaaaaaa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Uoh wee. I think I got it. This season Nate went back to his bread and butter coaching style which is to let his best veteran players play the bulk of the minutes in their predetermined roles. He was going to “trust them” to work through their issues on the court rather than making adjustments for them. Where his miscalculation came in at this season is that his best veteran players were still super young (pun intended) and relatively inexperienced. Add to that a new major piece in DJ who needed an adjustment period with the team. No Bogi (and consequently no spacing due to lack of outside shooting) spelled trouble. He reluctantly played the young guys cause he had to and even though they were showing promise, he still refused to commit. So now, THIS is when we needed him to step up and be creative, manage the flow of the game, call specific plays to get people rolling, leave the hot hand in, and switch his line ups based on match ups. I believed he refused to do that because he was tired and would rather fall back to what he was used to which was to let the “veterans” figure it out. When they couldn’t do it, that is when the team decided to get someone in here who could make the necessary in game adjustments and develop the young talent and use them in real time to win games. 

That’s my story and I am sticking to it. 

• Haha 2