• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Quin Snyder - Additions/now CHANGES to the Coaching Staff

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, KB21 said:

Two more assistants who I’ve heard will likely be joining the staff are Igor Kokoskov and Bryan Bailey.  I will not be surprised to see Vince Legarza get a call either.  

On 5/16/2023 at 7:29 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

There are a lot of good coaches available right now.

Looking at the landscape, were we to early with Quinn?

So many big names on the market this offseason.

Sheesh

Id rather have Quinn then any other coach in the NBA. He is in his prime and is a Basketball savant and everyone on the team has already bought in.

No more out of date retreads or interim experiments. We got the coach we wanted and he was able to do some good things in the last part of the season to build a foundation of trust.

No way would I want any other coach right now.

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hawks changed coaches in mid season.  All assistnts stayed and they went to the NBA east playoffs and did well.  New assistant coaches were hired the off season and we changed everything.  It didn't work out.

Hawks again change coaches in mid season.  Keep all assistant coaches.  Let them all go at season's end.

Now, Quin has a clean slate to add the assistant coaches he wants.  He is a different coach than those two we had before and most of us here on the Squawk believe in him.  

Building the team that he wants will take time.  While we all want an explosion of greatness to start next season, please don't go off the edge if it doesn't immediately happen.

What has happened with all the teams in this season's playoffs has caused many changes already and many more are sure to follow.  Meanwhile, the Atlanta Hawks and their new coaches just look on and smile!

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Snyder’s players quickly realized their new coach was nothing like their old coach. Stewart was old-school, perhaps too much so, and set in his ways. Snyder, who was just four months old when Stewart took the Missouri job, was young enough to still play with the team and teach by example. His jet black, curly hair made him look like a younger Pat Riley.

Johnnie Parker, a sophomore in Snyder’s first season, said players never really trained with Stewart, who was 64 when he retired. Snyder and his staff immediately shook that up, and Kokoškov’s footwork drills were unlike anything the players had ever seen.

“He may not have been able to see the value that he was able to add from his vantage point,” Snyder said of Kokoškov. “But it was clear to me.”

Kokoškov spent hours with players working on dribbling, footwork and the rest of the game’s basics. Kokoškov said his international background made the fundamentals crucial in his eyes, because at the time, Europe had fewer top-tier players. With players lacking the athleticism that is common in the States, mastering the basics was a must.

“You have to dance basketball,” Kokoškov said. “It’s about choreography, it’s about a move, balance control, footwork. That’s something that coming from the small basketball or basketball schools (overseas), we didn’t have the players like you have here in (the) United States. So … if someone shows any potential or talent, as a coach you have to really focus and try to develop that player. Sometimes … American coaches are very spoiled, especially if they have a dominant or successful program, because that can always recruit better players. So that wasn’t my case.”

Teaching the Euro step was one of Kokoškov’s first lessons. This was years before it made its way to the NBA. But his tactics weren’t always an easy sell. When he first taught players the move, many countered that officials would call them for traveling.

“No, it’s not,” he’d say. “It’s not a travel. Trust me! Trust me!”

Kokoškov spoke limited English, but he spoke basketball. “Like this!” was his trademark phrase, and in games, players said they’d notice him getting frustrated when he couldn’t articulate what he wanted to say and wasn’t able to demonstrate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, johnnyde said:

Some coaching news from Mark Stein's Newsletter (sorry if this has already been posted):

What do the Atlanta Hawks get for being the only team this postseason to face the soon-to-be Eastern Conference champions from Miami that can say they never lost to the Heat?

The Hawks legit deserve something for that 1-0 record against the Heat in the play-in round.

In actual Hawks news, I reported Monday that Quin Snyder is closing in on the addition of Igor Kokoškov to his coaching staff.

Kokoškov worked closely with Snyder in Utah before his head coaching stints with Phoenix and EuroLeague fixture Fenerbahçe and is expected to serve as Snyder’s lead assistant in Atlanta on a staff that will also feature NBA veteran Antonio Lang and former Notre Dame coach Mike Brey.

Is he the dude that was in Phoenix when they passed on Luka even though he was his coach? Hmm 🤔.. ya I don’t know much about it. I was about to say he sucks but I dunno :sarcastic: I just remember he ducked as the Suns head coach he got canned quick.

We'll see. If you watch the playoffs and deep playoffs you see the best defense and the greatest athletes in the world making tough, gritty plays against the best in the world. 

Ask yourself, do the Hawks currently have anyone on their team with true grit? I look at Murray wrapped up with a strong ass LeBron end of the game. Can our guards do that? Will these coaches do it?

Igor is an offensive genius.  Tremendous addition to the staff.  

On 5/22/2023 at 7:57 AM, swanlee said:

Id rather have Quinn then any other coach in the NBA. He is in his prime and is a Basketball savant and everyone on the team has already bought in.

No more out of date retreads or interim experiments. We got the coach we wanted and he was able to do some good things in the last part of the season to build a foundation of trust.

No way would I want any other coach right now.

The only coach I would have above Quinn that is available is Bud.  

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Igor is an offensive genius.  Tremendous addition to the staff.  

The only coach I would have above Quinn that is available is Bud.  

Bud may always be sober but his look is always someone coming off a bender.

I liked Bud as our coach.  Nevertheless, I'll keep Quinn and be happy that we have him.  After season's end he has added his own preferred assistant coaches.  Hoping this new staff makes the Hawks a better team.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Moderators

Everything looks nice on day 1, but I'm very encouraged by what I've seen about Quin's hires.  Feel like this is a much stronger group of coaches than we had starting last season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Everything looks nice on day 1, but I'm very encouraged by what I've seen about Quin's hires.  Feel like this is a much stronger group of coaches than we had starting last season.

"That's just like ...  your opinion, man" - iRobot

@Spud2nique isn't that a movie quote? 🤓

• Haha 2