Quin Snyder - Additions/now CHANGES to the Coaching Staff

JayBirdHawk

On 5/10/2023 at 4:44 PM, Gray Mule said:

When the Hawks changed coaches, the same assistants stayed and they ran the same offense as before and it carried them into the playoffs.

Then, the next season the new coach brought in his own assistants and his own way of doing things.  Didn't do as well as we had before.  

Changed again last season and brought in Quin.  He ran the same plays and had the same assistants.  End of the season he changes all assistant coaches and will be doing everything his way next season.  We don't have to assume.  We know this is what is going to happen.

What we don't know is who will be on the roster when the new season begins.  We can only hazard a guess.

:smug:

This time I trust Quinn and am excited for him to run things his way over Nate

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, MarylandHawk said:

Definitely, I wonder what his relationship is like with Quin? 

Me, I wouldn't expect Monty to take an assistant job at this stage. He's earned a place of respect league wide. He'll land on his feet in the top dog chair somewhere. But as said in the other thread, won't surprise me to see him take a year away.

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Now we are glad that we got Quin during the season because of all the openings from other teams.  Even now I got a nasty thought that Phoenix might try to talk to Quin about coaching them. 

My working theory has been that Quin felt like his Jazz team was sabotaged by the new GM's hire, and that he really just didn't want to go through any form of rebuild... doesn't seem like a stretch since that's more or less what was understood when the split with Bud happened.

My working theory continues... that... Quin wanted to pick back up with a team that was, in his view, showing clear signs of blossoming, and so, effectively in that sense, picking back up where he'd left off.

My working theory continues... that Quin already was enthusiastic about this roster from the outside. I mean, look, we talk like he had to get to know the players, but that's mainly in a personal sense... any head coach or scout or GM from any team has a pretty decent handle on the other teams and their players league-wide... their starters, at least, and probably their entire rotation.

So, I feel pretty confident in the assumption that he walked in the door believing that the Trae/DJ thing eventually would work well. I feel only slightly less confidence that he walked in the door believing the other members of the rotation, as a whole, was a strong unit... that there wouldn't be a lot of overhaul necessary, in his opinion, to contend, and based on the average age and the remaining capacity for further maturity, maybe not any.

Working theory continues.... his wife already had an affection for ATL... he already had an affection for Kyle... all that really stood in the way of a match was whether Q would hit it off with the owner and the GM, and if the compensation offered would seem adequate.

Double negative alert... there was nothing not to like. Even the situation of having 20 games of regular season left was seen, from his view, as a glass-half-full thing. And he was right to have that view it seems.

This is one of those too-good-to-be-true moments in Hawks history, imo. Rivals when the highly successful coach of the Cavaliers made the decision to pitch his tent with a team that had been part of his earlier career. We had some good years with Lenny, too, no question about that. Will we find a way to screw this up? Don't ask me. I'm an unapologetic Pollyanna. All I can say is that the law of averages suggests its high time that one of the National Basketball Association's original franchises returned to the top of the mountain we haven't conquered in 65 years.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Now we are glad that we got Quin during the season because of all the openings from other teams.  Even now I got a nasty thought that Phoenix might try to talk to Quin about coaching them. 

Any coach needs to be cautious with KD and his demands.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Any coach needs to be cautious with KD and his demands.

Or Booker and his apparent propensity to go full Casper (ghost mode) in elimination games.

You nevah go full Casper, burd.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Or Booker and his apparent propensity to go full Casper

Buuuuuut buuuut but he scored 60+ in Boston a while back. #whathaveyoudoneformelately #DevinMeloBooker #Carmelobooker

• Haha 2

• Moderators

You guys can dump on him for his game 6 performance, but I'm with @bird_dirt that would take this playoff performance from him as a Hawk next year playing alongside Trae and the rest of the remaining team:

image.png

Trae feeding a shooter like Booker would be a fantastic combo.  Unlike Paul who is NOT a scorer (which is why I railed against all the ill-conceived posts comparing his A/TO ratio against Trae's without accounting for their role on offense), Trae can carry a team down the stretch and in big games but he isn't so dominant that he do it consistently on an efficient basis.  Having someone like Booker who can score and move the ball, that would relieve a lot of pressure for Trae to carry us.

If a 31 points on .675% TS% is a bad series, I'm willing to live with that kind of failure.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

There are a lot of good coaches available right now.

Looking at the landscape, were we to early with Quinn?

So many big names on the market this offseason.

Sheesh

No, we good!

You want Bud or Doc? 😆 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No, we good!

You want Bud or Doc? 😆 

Id take any of them as an assistant. 
Bud’s Xs and Os are pretty good, Nurse gets the most out of players, would be great for developing our young guys.

Rivers and Williams would be huge for Trae’s reputation around the league. If they vouched for him he would be a yearly All-Star, All-NBA selection and be a part of the Olympic team. 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Id take any of them as an assistant. 
Bud’s Xs and Os are pretty good, Nurse gets the most out of players, would be great for developing our young guys.

Rivers and Williams would be huge for Trae’s reputation around the league. If they vouched for him he would be a yearly All-Star, All-NBA selection and be a part of the Olympic team. 

Nothing stopping us from adding either of them as an assistant.  Had we not hired a head coach yet, Bud would be attractive but for how he left he the first time.  I would not want any part of Doc as a head coach.  So I'd still pick Quin if given the choice.