• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Team USA 2023 FIBA World Cup (Trae Watch)

RedDawg#8

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Either Dillon Brooks or Austin Reeves deserved that last spot over Luka. But of course, he is their golden boy, so he has to be included.

I'd give it to Dillion Brooks - he was also the best defender in the tournament.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
On 9/8/2023 at 10:59 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

For the Olympics you'll see all the bigger name players wanting to play and be yapping about bringing back the gold to make up for the WC failure.

Same thing every Olympic year. Smh.

Am I right or am I really right 😏 

Team USA fell short at the 2023 FIBA World Cup. If LeBron James has his way, the USA won't suffer a similar result at the 2024 Paris Olympics.

James is reportedly ready to commit to playing for Team USA next summer. And James wants to bring along several other American-born stars to join him.

Players the Lakers superstar has reportedly reached out to include Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Jayson Tatum and Draymond Green. That group of five is reportedly ready to commit.

Devin Booker, D'Aaron Fox, Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving have all also expressed interest in playing for Team USA in Paris. Anthony Edwards and Mikal Bridges are also expected receive consideration from the World Cup team. In addition, Bam Adebayo and Desmond Bane are expected to be considered for the roster.

Team USA is also expected to try to recruit Joel Embiid. Embiid hasn't suited up for an international tournament and remains eligible to play for either the United States or France, should he choose to play in the Olympics.

SHAMS CHARANIA AND JOE VARDON/THE ATHLETIC

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Am I right or am I really right 😏 

Team USA fell short at the 2023 FIBA World Cup. If LeBron James has his way, the USA won't suffer a similar result at the 2024 Paris Olympics.

James is reportedly ready to commit to playing for Team USA next summer. And James wants to bring along several other American-born stars to join him.

Players the Lakers superstar has reportedly reached out to include Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Jayson Tatum and Draymond Green. That group of five is reportedly ready to commit.

Devin Booker, D'Aaron Fox, Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving have all also expressed interest in playing for Team USA in Paris. Anthony Edwards and Mikal Bridges are also expected receive consideration from the World Cup team. In addition, Bam Adebayo and Desmond Bane are expected to be considered for the roster.

Team USA is also expected to try to recruit Joel Embiid. Embiid hasn't suited up for an international tournament and remains eligible to play for either the United States or France, should he choose to play in the Olympics.

SHAMS CHARANIA AND JOE VARDON/THE ATHLETIC

Why don't we send Carmelo and Dwight Howard while we're at it.  

• Haha 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Why don't we send Carmelo and Dwight Howard while we're at it.  

Pretty much all of those guys are still studs.  I wouldn't want all of them but I'd take that roster in a heartbeat over the one we just saw finish 4th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trae is in purgatory. Not a part of the inner circle when the big names want to compete, yet considered too big time to play with the D team.

I will say, based on everything that has happened in the world of sports, Trae is more deserving to represent this country than a Kyrie

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I will say, based on everything that has happened in the world of sports, Trae is more deserving to represent this country than a Kyrie

No doubt.  Kyrie shouldn't be on the list given how selfish and unstable he has been ever since he left Cleveland.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If Fox goes to the Olympics over Trae, Grant Hill should never be allowed in ATL again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It ain't just Grant Hill. It's Kerr and the other coaches too. 

They should be banned from the city too then, letting emotional decisions get in the way of having a top 2 pg on the team.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

• Premium Member

Don't really have strong feelings about Trae's exclusion from the team or the fact we finished 4th, but it is kind of weird that people here are cheering against Team USA.  Like, I know national pride has been on a steady decline for decades, but I don't really understand rooting against our country -- assuming everyone here is American.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, akay said:

If Fox goes to the Olympics over Trae, Grant Hill should never be allowed in ATL again.

Trae is clearly better than Fox -- especially if you are going to emphasize how important having a good jump shot is in international ball.  Trae is an outstanding jump shooter with space and a subpar one when covered.  He would obviously have lots more space on a roster like that.  Fox is not a good jump shooter period.  He is closer to John Wall than Steph Curry.

We should also see some cleaning of house after this debacle in terms of who is responsible for constructing the team.  Kerr, Hill, and the coaches whose input shaped the 2023 roster should be removed from that job.  It was obviously a suboptimal roster before the first game was played and that isn't primarily a reflection of the superstars not wanting to play.  It was taking the role players of the world and filling the roster with so many players that were both limited and did not have big impact strengths.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Don't really have strong feelings about Trae's exclusion from the team or the fact we finished 4th, but it is kind of weird that people here are cheering against Team USA.  Like, I know national pride has been on a steady decline for decades, but I don't really understand rooting against our country -- assuming everyone here is American.

Yeah i agree with you mostly.  i was cheering for them but I understand the frustration.  I think we're seeing Kerr and Hill's arrogance and favoritism when it comes to team selection.  So while i want us to win I hope these guys start to get the criticism they deserve for running a little fiefdom instead of what gives us the best chance of winning.  Coming in 4th should be a huge embarrassment.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AHF said:

Kerr just did arguably the worst job constructing a national team roster ever witnessed in the history of US basketball and should never be responsible for personnel decisions again.  If that is representative of his eye for talent and roster management, he was lucky to inherit all the GS stars who were already on the roster when he joined.

Just went and looked up his time as an executive (as opposed to a coach or player) and he blew all his draft picks, traded away the pick that became Serge Ibaka for garbage, and his most notable move was trading for Shaq for one season and then dumping him the next offseason.  He inherited a 61 win Suns team and left the Suns with a 40 win roster.

He had zero track record qualifying him for this job if you believe success as a GM should be a criteria for the job.  I have a feeling the most significant move Kerr made as GM was signing Grant Hill as if that should have qualified him.

Concur with all this.  Not sure which job(sic) he did worse, helping put that team together or him actually coaching them. 

• Like 2