• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Moderators

I will only believe we are going into the tax when we actually pay it.  Until then, I’m in Diesel’s court assuming that even if we make other moves we will end up not paying the tax.  So if we are adding a big name I’m assuming we are returning salary to match and not just adding a $25M salary to fill The TPE.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 10/6/2022 at 7:48 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Over the tax - 125% of the outgoing salary + $100,000

Under the tax:

Outgoing Salary Incoming Salary Allowed
$0 - $6,533,333 175% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000
$6,533,334 - $19.6 million Outgoing salary + $5,000,000
>$19.6 million 125% of the outgoing salary + $100,000

For anyone wanting to know how much we can take back in trades based on a player's contract size see chart above ^.

So example: in a CC trade the Hawks can take back his current salary, $18.2 mil + $5 mil = $23.2 mil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Everyone wants $20, $25 and $30 million.

Exactly.  Think there's going to be some reality checks in free agency this year.  Hopefully that'll help with negotiations with our own free agents next year.  Bey, for instance, would probably be lucky to get anything more than the MLE from another team in this year's class.

• Like 1

Just now, AHF said:

We need to learn our lesson from JC and Hunter and make RFA work for us in the future.

Yeah.  Let's not bid against ourselves this time around, for goodness' sake.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm asking who would you like as a candidate for it's use?

Honestly, it’s pretty slim pickings if it has to be under 25.3mil. 

Looking at teams with high roster cost that may look to shed salary we have:

636978FE-41B6-4CB4-A394-710597E45CA4.thumb.jpeg.1b74203b3a645c24e86bf41181631153.jpeg

so target LAC, GSW, MIA, maybe DEN, PHX, PHI, BOS, MIL. 

Here’s salaries under 25.3:

8B6EAAB7-39F4-4FE5-ACB6-E999777F34EE.thumb.jpeg.86396c371680983de0170141ae5482ee.jpeg

How do you feel about Wiggins?

I’m not seeing much here.
LAC has crap. Brogdan is damaged goods and BOS not getting rid of White. Duncan Robinson? I don’t think so. Denver wouldn’t get rid of Aaron Gordon would they? Maybe Knicks try getting out of Fournier contract, IDK. 

Like I said. Slim pickings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Honestly, it’s pretty slim pickings if it has to be under 25.3mil. 

Looking at teams with high roster cost that may look to shed salary we have:

636978FE-41B6-4CB4-A394-710597E45CA4.thumb.jpeg.1b74203b3a645c24e86bf41181631153.jpeg

so target LAC, GSW, MIA, maybe DEN, PHX, PHI, BOS, MIL. 

Here’s salaries under 25.3:

8B6EAAB7-39F4-4FE5-ACB6-E999777F34EE.thumb.jpeg.86396c371680983de0170141ae5482ee.jpeg

How do you feel about Wiggins?

I’m not seeing much here.
LAC has crap. Brogdan is damaged goods and BOS not getting rid of White. Duncan Robinson? I don’t think so. Denver wouldn’t get rid of Aaron Gordon would they? Maybe Knicks try getting out of Fournier contract, IDK. 

Like I said. Slim pickings. 

Yeah, I had similar thoughts in an earlier post.  The only ones out of that group that I would be interested in and could be a fit for us are A. Wiggins, A. Gordon and D. White.  But those guys serve important roles on championship contenders, so I don't see those teams letting them go for cap space.  Best bet may be to take the TPE into the season and use it to fill a hole with a useful player from a non-contender at the trade deadline.

Edited by Phunkabilly
  • Like 2

^yeah that list is pretty sad. I don't want any of that. 

Wiggins is likely the only sensible option, given GS needs to make some room to resign Draymond if they intend to. Maybe we take Wiggins and give them draft assets?

Ha! Who am I kidding!?!? This is the Resslers!!

Sorry guys I forgot for a second. 

• Premium Member

There is only two options at this point:

The FO makes use of the TPE to make this team better at either the PF or some other upgrade in the front court.

That's the best case option.

The other option: this was just a pure salary dump and the most we can hope for is a small trade to take back, say, Delon Wright in part of the TPW where we avoid the LT...or we simply do nothing. We just subtract JC and go forward with what we got. 

I just can't see them doing the second option. It would be a PR nightmare.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I read somewhere that we also sent out $6mil Trade exception to offset Gay’s salary which is why we get the 25.3 exception for Collins full salary.

Cant find the article but here is the chart and you see where we sent out the exception we got for Justin Holiday apparently.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/

That was clever at least.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Sothron said:

There is only two options at this point:

The FO makes use of the TPE to make this team better at either the PF or some other upgrade in the front court.

That's the best case option.

The other option: this was just a pure salary dump and the most we can hope for is a small trade to take back, say, Delon Wright in part of the TPW where we avoid the LT...or we simply do nothing. We just subtract JC and go forward with what we got. 

I just can't see them doing the second option. It would be a PR nightmare.

I think the second option is what we will do.    Just guesswork here. 

If there was a want to take advantage of the TPE conservatively, we could try to get our hands on Bobby Portis.   Milwaukee is in a worse situation than us and would need some LT relief if they resigned both Middleton and Lopez.  or even just reuped Lopez.  There's talk about trading Holiday but they're not going to do that.   They have nobody to replace him.   However, a sweet salary drop of Portis could help. 

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

For anyone wanting to know how much we can take back in trades based on a player's contract size see chart above ^.

So example: in a CC trade the Hawks can take back his current salary, $18.2 mil + $5 mil = $23.2 mil

But aren’t we able to take back more given the $25M TPE? So it’d be $23.2M + $25M? Or can the $25 not be combined with other player salary? 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

But aren’t we able to take back more given the $25M TPE? So it’d be $23.2M + $25M? Or can the $25 not be combined with other player salary? 

The TPE cannot be combined with a player in any trades. You can use the TPE for 1 player making up to that amount or on several players totalling that amount. 

Example: we can use $14.2 mil of it now and have $11 left over and use it at the trade deadline. We have 1 year to use all of it.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

It can’t be combined with other salary.  We could trade say DM and Hunter for a large salary but the TPE has to be used on its own.  There are some creative ways that could work to facilitate larger trades by freeing up cap space for someone else but generally speaking you can think of the TPE as not being useful in helping us land a contract over $25M.  Personally, if I was betting I’d bet on the Delon Wright type of scenario where we add a useful player but stay under the tax (or take a pick for helping another team get under the tax).

• Thanks 2