• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

49 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Not just that but Barnes didn't get along with FVV or Siakam and OG likes Pascal but he's told Toronto, he wants to be a #1 scoring option and feels he can handle it and based on what I've heard, Toronto isn't that far behind in that belief. The issue of course is this is still Pascal team.

They must be too close to the situation.  I was high high (twice) on Barnes coming out of FSU, but he hasn't really added to his game.  And seems to have an attitude, in a bad way.  I'm not surprised to hear the issues they were clearly having all year.  I have no clue why they think firing the coach and clearing out the vets will cure all their ills. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The whole point of the rebuild was to find a franchise player and collect assets needed to go big game hunting. I love our young guys as much as anyone, and their potential is immense, but if we have learned nothing from the JC trade, we have to be willing to “sell high” on some of these guys. If we wait 2 years just to find out they aren’t who we hoped they would be we end up right back where we are trying to make moves with teams that don’t want what we have.

I’m not saying get robbed blind, but Trae’s window is now. No team wins a championship with the amount of youth we have. It’ll be at least 4 years before most of these kids are ready to contribute to a championship team. And typically, you can only have one or two young guys in your rotation if you want to win big.

We don’t just need “stars”, we need veteran leadership. We need experience. And not just the Vince Carter, Solomon Hill kind that does it from the bench. We need these “aging” guys who aren’t even 30 that can do it on the court today.

And news flash, we are already over the cap with a bunch of young guys who haven’t been extended. If OO, JJ, and AJ all become who people hope they can be, they are going to be worth 25-30+ million a year too. We are going to have to pay people regardless. That part is unavoidable. 

If we want to watch a young team develop and be fun/exciting, without any hope to win big, then let’s trade Trae and start everything over now. Otherwise, it’s time to play for keeps and make tough, risky, champions building decisions.

This.  Trae Young is an All NBA player.  Jaylen Brown is an All NBA player.  Pascal Siakam is an All NBA player.  Dejounte Murray was All NBA as a defender, not overall.  Do we really believe that we have future All NBA players who are 22 and younger on this roster?

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I’m not saying get robbed blind, but Trae’s window is now. No team wins a championship with the amount of youth we have. It’ll be at least 4 years before most of these kids are ready to contribute to a championship team. And typically, you can only have one or two young guys in your rotation if you want to win big.

yes.  yes. yes.  co-sign.

The whole point of the rebuild was to find a franchise player and collect assets needed to go big game hunting. I love our young guys as much as anyone, and their potential is immense, but if we have learned nothing from the JC trade, we have to be willing to “sell high” on some of these guys. If we wait 2 years just to find out they aren’t who we hoped they would be we end up right back where we are trying to make moves with teams that don’t want what we have.

We don’t just need “stars”, we need veteran leadership. We need experience. And not just the Vince Carter, Solomon Hill kind that does it from the bench. We need these “aging” guys who aren’t even 30 that can do it on the court today.

And news flash, we are already over the cap with a bunch of young guys who haven’t been extended. If OO, JJ, and AJ all become who people hope they can be, they are going to be worth 25-30+ million a year too. We are going to have to pay people regardless. That part is unavoidable. 

If we want to watch a young team develop and be fun/exciting, without any hope to win big, then let’s trade Trae and start everything over now. Otherwise, it’s time to play for keeps and make tough, risky, champions building decisions.

Normally a championship team would trade contracts like Bogi, Capela, Hunter, even DJM but not JJ or AJ, never. Positive value on rookie deals are not traded. OO or Bey are more debatable. 
FO needs to make a decision, DJM is the star we want next to Young? Yes? Keep and pay him, No? Trade him with a package for Brown. Use Capela, Hunter and Bogi contracts and draft assets.

Next decision, improve the frontcourt, Siakam seems like a good target for the right price, use Hunter, Bogi and Capela, even think on adding OO or Bey, never add AJ or JJ.

Do you want a trio of Young, DJM or Brown and Siakam? Yes, but the surrounding pieces need to fit. We cannot trade all our future for a expiring deal, JJ, AJ, OO and Bey are incredible value for a contender team now and in the next 3-4 years

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I am told the framework is: 

Murray and Hunter to TOR 

Siakam, JJ, and Horford plus 2024 1st (ATL likely SAC) to POR

Lillard to BOS

J. Brown and Nurkic to ATL

Wonder what the plan would be at PF going forward IF this ends up happening. Our starting PF and primary backup from last year would be gone. The most rumored replacement, Siakam, would also be gone to POR.

Ayton anybody or has that ship sailed? lol

I've seen Grant Williams floated, but....meh.

• Haha 1

I was calling BS in my mind when I read that teams leak rumors before doing deals to gauge fan reactions, and then the Siakam to ATL rumors started popping up on twitter overnight.  I thought it was a coincidence until I saw Supes update.  

I was excited for the Murray trade but if he can be moved for an upgrade I'm all for it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I am much more excited about getting JB than Siakam.  I just  have lots of questions about fit with Siakam and don't have those same questions with Brown.  Also love that he is several years younger and loves and wants to play in Atlanta.  Wanting to be in Atlanta means something to me.

Oh, I definitely prefer Jaylen to Pascal, but I'm not going to pass on Pascal if he is attainable and it's the only option.  Quin can get the fit right.  Pascal has been Toronto's main shot creator for the past 3 years, and in Atlanta, Trae will create a lot of opportunities for him that he didn't get in Toronto.  He didn't have the level of facilitator that Trae is in Toronto.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Oh, I definitely prefer Jaylen to Pascal, but I'm not going to pass on Pascal if he is attainable and it's the only option.  Quin can get the fit right.  Pascal has been Toronto's main shot creator for the past 3 years, and in Atlanta, Trae will create a lot of opportunities for him that he didn't get in Toronto.  He didn't have the level of facilitator that Trae is in Toronto.  

I'm the same.  Get Siakam if we can't get Jaylen.

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They are also getting unprotected picks and swaps.

What is the value of a #25-30 pick?  That’s where Miami will probably be selecting getting Lillard for nothing.  Swaps are pointless in the near future when you are clearly better.

Edited by Hawkish
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

What is the value of a #25-30 pick?  That’s where Miami will probably be selecting getting Lillard for nothing.  Swaps are pointless in the near future when you are clearing better.

That was my first blush thought as well.  I don't think the lack of protection or ability to swap is worth much here unless they are many years down the line.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I’m not saying get robbed blind, but Trae’s window is now. No team wins a championship with the amount of youth we have.

You sure about that?  How many teams win a title with a 25 year old best player?     Very rare air and you could argue taht a couple of them weren't even the best players on the team when they won that first title.

Most all time greats don't win their first title till they are 27-28.

Trae's window hasn't even opened yet.

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, shakes said:

You sure about that?  How many teams win a title with a 25 year old best player?     Very rare air and you could argue taht a couple of them weren't even the best players on the team when they won that first title.

Most all time greats don't win their first title till they are 27-28.

Trae's window hasn't even opened yet.

That's partially true but most star players are contending by 25ish/5-6 years into their careers.  It takes a lot of things to fall into place to actually win a title and part of that is experience.   It's crazy to think we're just going to develop young guys so we suddenly win a title when Trae is 27.   We need to be contending and having deep playoff runs now.  Instead we're cutting money and banking on rookies.  

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, AHF said:

That was my first blush thought as well.  I don't think the lack of protection or ability to swap is worth much here unless they are many years down the line.

37 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

What is the value of a #25-30 pick?  That’s where Miami will probably be selecting getting Lillard for nothing.  Swaps are pointless in the near future when you are clearly better.

2028 and 2030 are their first available picks I think.

(As I type those years......damn.....I'm getting old)