• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

You're acting like we can't do anything but keep our own players.  

That sounds like what you are saying.  Murray, Bey, AJ and Jalen were the replacements and “upgrades”.  Mixed results for sure.  

We could have added another MLE player, or kept Huerter or JC.  If we did any of those things we would be paying a little more, or a lot more, but it would still be an underperforming roster.  

We made wrong moves and signings.  That is and always has been our root problem. Spending even more wouldn’t fix it.  Siakam could have, and that’s why I supported that move.  

Haven’t heard of any other move that resolves root problems. KAT, but I don’t think we had a shot at him.  

• Premium Member
On 4/29/2024 at 8:11 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Ya'll are always dreaming big with your KD's and Bookers....here's your reality check:

Clint for Nurkic (2yrs/18 amd 19 mil each) and pick #23.

I'm still ok with this^

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

That sounds like what you are saying.  Murray, Bey, AJ and Jalen were the replacements and “upgrades”.  Mixed results for sure.  

We could have added another MLE player, or kept Huerter or JC.  If we did any of those things we would be paying a little more, or a lot more, but it would still be an underperforming roster.  

We made wrong moves and signings.  That is and always has been our root problem. Spending even more wouldn’t fix it.  Siakam could have, and that’s why I supported that move.  

Haven’t heard of any other move that resolves root problems. KAT, but I don’t think we had a shot at him.  

We can trade players for other players rather then just waiting to salary dump them when they have no value. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

What do you mean "no way" to improve a roster that has 5 guys on rookie deals.   Trade somebody for another guy.  Trade a player for a good player who doesn't fit the current team's narrative.  Trade for a guy who does something real well.

We're not hamstrung.  We've CHOSEN to be hamstrung.

They had a lot of options to improve at the end of 2021.  The moment we signed our frontline to high level starter money and traded our draft capital for Murray that completely changed.  

Our options became trading overpaid starters for other trash or signing guys to the MLE.  They did try for Siakam.  That could have been a really good move.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We can trade players for other players rather then just waiting to salary dump them when they have no value. 

Ha ha.  Every time I suggested that I got told “Cam is a future star” “JC is better than Sabonis”.  Don’t trade our amazing homegrown team.  

Anyways, the guys we did sign were all made available for other players last year.  We aren’t getting good offers.  Hoping we do this off-season for Murray.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Ha ha.  Every time I suggested that I got told “Cam is a future star” “JC is better than Sabonis”.  Don’t trade our amazing homegrown team.  

Anyways, the guys we did sign were all made available for other players last year.  We aren’t getting good offers.  Hoping we do this off-season for Murray.

That's definitely true but none of us have any say.  This just proves the point that the org has been incompetent. 

I don't see where there is really any argument that the Hawks are 'doing all they can' to field a competitive team.  Here are the teams with lower payroll than us.   They all have something in common except for Orlando who similarly have struck gold on rookie contracts. 

image.pngR.11546004a9c13dc537acc0207498105d?rik=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

That's definitely true but none of us have any say.  This just proves the point that the org has been incompetent. 

I don't see where there is really any argument that the Hawks are 'doing all they can' to field a competitive team.  Here are the teams with lower payroll than us.   They all have something in common except for Orlando who similarly have struck gold on rookie contracts. 

image.pngR.11546004a9c13dc537acc0207498105d?rik=1

We are $7M away from being a top ten spender as well.  But no $7M player available for us to sign would have made us a top ten team.  
image.thumb.png.4751f5d8d08e17cb92d62016cde74ba2.png

You guys are more hung up on if we spend like a top ten team than actually being a top ten team.  What $7M move could we have made that drastically changed our outcome this year?  Answer: none.  

If you sign a Thybulle or Niang to a multi year deal, we would have another expensive veteran that is hard to trade.  Does that help or hurt?  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

This just proves the point that the org has been incompetent. 

There are 6 teams in the east that have made the conference finals in the last 10 years.  We made it twice with different cores.  How is that incompetence? Incompetence is the Charlotte Hornets, the Chicago Bulls, the Brooklyn Nets org... we are not incompetent -- the NBA is hard man, there are 30 teams.  Every single one of them can try to win, make good moves, and make logical decisions and half are still not making the playoffs.

This idea we can spend to win is just not reality.  And trades are great and all, but you gotta trade talent to get talent, unless you want to give up a bunch of picks like we did with Murray.  This isn't 2k

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

You're acting like we can't do anything but keep our own players.  

And you haven't given a single realistic thing we could have done to be better.  Is it George Niang? Thybulle? Shake Milton?  Who is that elusive needle mover you guys keep referencing?  Is it a trade fabricated in the trade machine? 

• Like 1

I cant believe y'all are actually talking about the sorry arse Hawks right now..lol

This was One of the most disappointing Hawks teams in recent memory.. 

And I don't see it getting much better next season unfortunately,  unless major changes are made.....

Just trading Murray for a better "fit" and the 10th pick isn't gonna get us in the top tier of the East

Hope Im wrong...

Maybe Onsi Saleh (the new Schlenk) can save the day....

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

And you haven't given a single realistic thing we could have done to be better.  Is it George Niang? Thybulle? Shake Milton?  Who is that elusive needle mover you guys keep referencing?  Is it a trade fabricated in the trade machine? 

To add to this, we were targeting Siakam over the summer and this group wasn't even happy about that.  Now he's playing well in the playoffs and has the Pacers with a very real chance to make the ECF this year.

• Moderators

5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

To add to this, we were targeting Siakam over the summer and this group wasn't even happy about that.  Now he's playing well in the playoffs and has the Pacers with a very real chance to make the ECF this year.

The question is why were we targeting him?  Because we obviously knew we needed another high level player and they needed to be a frontcourt player.  But we already had JJ.  He would have been coming off the bench obviously because he hadn't really proven that he was an NBA starter yet.  

So when the Siakam deal fell through our backup plan was ....start the backup, don't sign anyone else to back him up.   I don't see how that's a sign of good team building.  

• Thanks 3

• Moderators

I guess the simplier way to say it is the plan was sign an all-star PF that is obviously needed to get out of the play in or do nothing and just play out the season.  

We also could have traded for OG at the deadline.  We had just as good a package and by then we knew how good JJ was.  Now supposedly there was behind the scenes agent drama to get him to NY only so i'll concede i have no idea if there was some kind of roadblock that we couldn't get past.  It's possible but still baffling to me we didn't make a run at him. 

• Sad 1

All this vague hypothetical talk and I just want to start seeing this roster reconstructed..

I really hope those bozos in the front office are working on it.

here are the facts:

1. Squawkers debating salary is useless

2. we suck at defense

3. Trae will stay if we want him to.

4. DJ will stay if we want him.

we need some serious roster moves.

i hope these players are gone soon..

Dre Capela Bey OO Bogi Meth Bogi 

Edited by theheroatl

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

They did try for Siakam.  That could have been a really good move.  

🙇‍♀️ 

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

LA fired Darvin Ham.  Quin should bring him back to Atlanta as an assistant.

He’s a better assistant coach to me. I think he likes gettin hands on with the players more than head coaches do.

I’ll take him back, sure.

11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We also could have traded for OG at the deadline.  We had just as good a package and by then we knew how good JJ was.  Now supposedly there was behind the scenes agent drama to get him to NY only so i'll concede i have no idea if there was some kind of roadblock that we couldn't get past.  It's possible but still baffling to me we didn't make a run at him. 

OG was my boy in the draft in 2017, him and Semi Ojeleye in round 2 I wanted the boys from Africa. I wasn’t mad at the JC pick though.

Ya, OG is one of them dudes that I would even overpay for a bit. He’s rock 🪨 solid both physically and mentally, hard to rattle the dude and I definitely wouldn’t want him checking me on D. The way he gets down into his stance with those tree 🌲 trunk legs 🦵 of his… ya, it’s scary 😨 

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

All this vague hypothetical talk and I just want to start seeing this roster reconstructed..

I really hope those bozos in the front office are working on it.

here are the facts:

1. Squawkers debating salary is useless

2. we suck at defense

3. Trae will stay if we want him to.

4. DJ will stay if we want him.

we need some serious roster moves.

i hope these players are gone soon..

Dre Capela Bey OO Bogi Meth Bogi 

I agree with all that except I'd hang on to Bogi unless we get a lot back and honestly i'd hang on to OO unless we get a lot back.  I think he can be a good starter next to JJ which we didn't get to see much of. 

I'd trade Murray though.  I just don't see the point of Murray especially when you got Kobe waiting in the wings.  

• Like 2