• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you guys trade Trae Young for KAT straight up?

JeffS17

• Premium Member

I don't have an opinion on this one, but I know there are people here who believe we will never win a chip with Trae.  This highly unlikely trade might make some sense on paper though:

• Run Murray at PG
  • Have plenty of options at SG (Bogi would get the start short term)
  • KAT is an elite floor spacer big and offensive weapon
  • OO could play alongside KAT in the front court and shore up his defensive weaknesses, matchup dependent of course.
  • We'd move towards a ball movement offense under Quin that is less reliant on Trae to create everything
  • Our defense would improve as we wouldn't have Trae out there and KAT's weaknesses are shored up by OO
  • The move would make sense for Minny as well:
    • KAT doesn't fit with Gobert and they heavily invested to get Gobert
    • Minny has a need at PG and Trae could run alongside Edwards in the backcourt
    • Trae/Gobert pairing makes a ton of sense and they complement each other well
    • Gobert is an elite screener and Trae would unlock him on offense

I know most of the board will not even entertain moving Trae, but I do think this makes a lot of sense on paper.  Hawks would never do it for business reasons and the amount of revenue Trae brings in, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't have an opinion on this one, but I know there are people here who believe we will never win a chip with Trae.  This highly unlikely trade might make some sense on paper though:

• Run Murray at PG
  • Have plenty of options at SG (Bogi would get the start short term)
  • KAT is an elite floor spacer big and offensive weapon
  • OO could play alongside KAT in the front court and shore up his defensive weaknesses, matchup dependent of course.
  • We'd move towards a ball movement offense under Quin that is less reliant on Trae to create everything
  • Our defense would improve as we wouldn't have Trae out there and KAT's weaknesses are shored up by OO
  • The move would make sense for Minny as well:
    • KAT doesn't fit with Gobert and they heavily invested to get Gobert
    • Minny has a need at PG and Trae could run alongside Edwards in the backcourt
    • Trae/Gobert pairing makes a ton of sense and they complement each other well
    • Gobert is an elite screener and Trae would unlock him on offense

I know most of the board will not even entertain moving Trae, but I do think this makes a lot of sense on paper.  Hawks would never do it for business reasons and the amount of revenue Trae brings in, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment.

No.  Trae's not my favorite, but I think KAT is greatly overrated.  Unquestionably Trae is the more valuable player.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Absolutely not — I don’t want KAT under any circumstances.  

I could convince myself to be ok with him if we got him for free.  But the guy lacks some serious mental toughness and self awareness that I think is detrimental to his team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Kat is now the most overrated player on Hawksquawk.  He has offically surpassed Deandre Ayton along with past loves like Zach Lavine, Mobamba, and Paul George

Triggered lol. The amount of people I had to argue with that had Bamba over JJJ was too damn high. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

I would not trade Trae for KAT but I would absolutely trade for KAT. He is a star player. He and Trae together on offense would be amazing. KAT's defense isn't anywhere as bad as people think it is either. Minn had a great defense just last season with him on it and did the season before as well.

KAT playing natural center again would be great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know why people want a guy who’s been a negative defender for a center and constantly fouls out of games.

I don’t know why people want a guy who said going to the play-in was more impressive than winning a championship.

I don’t know why people who want a guy who has had so many playoff failures including being single digit scoring games in multiple playoff appearances. 

I don’t know why people want a guy who doesn’t know how to set a screen even though he’s been in the NBA for 5+ years.

NO TO KARL ANTHONY TOWNS

Edited by givemesome1ce1
  • Like 3