• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dejounte Murray signs extension - 4yrs/$120 Million

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I’m betting Quin also has a lot to do with his willingness to sign this extension as well.  They seem to have a nice bond already.  Theres no way this was negotiated last offseason be ause the new CBA is what allows the 40% increase and that wasnt inked, so major props to Landry and Trae and whoever else influenced DJ to sign this.  The FO has been killing it this offseason 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, AtLaS said:

He wasn't willing to bet $120 million guaranteed for a potential ~160M.  That's a HUGE risk for a small additional reward. 

sports message boards might be the only place in the world where laypeople refer to $40 million as a small amount of money.  🙄

• Haha 4

• Premium Member

I wonder if this means that DJM is officially in the Chip Hunt?

I mean, you lock in with a team for contract that is agreeable enough to bring in a 3rd Star...

I wonder if the thought  of a big three was floated to him and Trae?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, Diesel said:

I wonder if this means that DJM is officially in the Chip Hunt?

I mean, you lock in with a team for contract that is agreeable enough to bring in a 3rd Star...

I wonder if the thought  of a big three was floated to him and Trae?

Sounds like it might not involve Trae. DJ might be insurance in case the front office decides they can't win with Trae

11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's more than a $40 mil difference. 

If he got to FAcy and was looking for a 30% max deal of the projected $149 million cap for 5 years...that's a deal starting at ~$44 mil with the 8% raises.....that's +$200 million.

Considering that FVV signed a 3yr max deal for $128 million with a lower cap figure.

Sure if he got the max it's more than a 40 mil difference.  I'm not convinced he would surely get the max next offseason.  He may, but he also may not.

He would have to swim naked for the entire season, with injury risk or having a bad season risk that could cost him a lot of money.  So it's not guaranteed.  He weighed the potential risk reward and decided it wasn't worth the risk.  Some guys would have waited, all a matter of personal opinion.

1 hour ago, shakes said:

sports message boards might be the only place in the world where laypeople refer to $40 million as a small amount of money.  🙄

I should have used the word relative.  On a relative basis that would be a small increase, going from 120 to 160 is only a 25% gain. 

Shake if someone was offering you 120 million dollars, would you risk it ALL to get 160 if the 160 is only 90% guaranteed?  I sure as hell wouldn't.

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Sounds like it might not involve Trae. DJ might be insurance in case the front office decides they can't win with Trae

That's from the front office side.  It's the nuclear football.   However, what was the motivation from DJM's side... that's what I'm getting at.   

2 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Sure if he got the max it's more than a 40 mil difference.  I'm not convinced he would surely get the max next offseason.  He may, but he also may not.

He would have to swim naked for the entire season, with injury risk or having a bad season risk that could cost him a lot of money.  So it's not guaranteed.  He weighed the potential risk reward and decided it wasn't worth the risk.  Some guys would have waited, all a matter of personal opinion.

The Dennis Schröder/Isaiah Thomas Effect. 

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

I should have used the word relative.  On a relative basis that would be a small increase, going from 120 to 160 is only a 25% gain. 

Shake if someone was offering you 120 million dollars, would you risk it ALL to get 160 if the 160 is only 90% guaranteed?  I sure as hell wouldn't.

Isn't it technically a 33% increase in salary when you go from 120 to 160?

Don't know too many jobs where you can get a 33% raise.   I'm not DJM who already has millions in the bank, is in his prime and believes in himself so what I would do is irrelevant.    

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, shakes said:

Don't know too many jobs where you can get a 33% raise.   I'm not DJM who already has millions in the bank, is in his prime and believes in himself so what I would do is irrelevant.    

I think @AtLaS is making a valid point though.  There is a lens through which someone in DJM's position could decide that signing up for $120 million now is in his best interest and it is along the lines he already laid out.  Different people have different risk tolerances.  Your point that DJM already has millions in the bank, is in his prime, and believes in  himself and so how you would view it is irrelevant speaks to this.  Isn't the best evidence we can look to as to how DJM looked at this what he actually did?  Doesn't the fact that he signed the extension now imply that DJM likely decided that he wanted to nail this money down and not play out this season with the possibility that he could be looking at a fraction of that if he blew out his knee or something?  I do think there is a logic to the idea that $120M sets you up for life even with a pretty carefree lifestyle in a way that an Isaiah Thomas contract does not and so a person could decide purely from the perspective of what is right for them to do what DM did.  

We assume that all young players believe they are immortal and ultra talented and don't appreciate the risks involved and therefore will automatically go for the bigger money next year but unless you really know that person all any of us is doing is assuming.  (It was certainly my perspective.)  DM made his own choice and the idea that he just gave up the upside of next season without putting real weight on the downside scenarios seems somewhat unlikely to me.  I suspect that even if there was a team motive (i.e., this will free up money for another move) that the security of signing now was also a factor for  him.

Either way, I'm very excited as a Hawks fan and definitely feel better about the trade for DM in light of this.  His upcoming UFA was a big risk for us.  (IMO, there was a risk we could lose him for nothing and there was also a risk we could overpay him and hurt the team in the long run.)  All of that UFA risk is off the table now both for DJM individually and for the Hawks as an organization.

For us fans, it gives us security that DJM is here to stay and let's us spent our energy around him just rooting him on to a great season instead of debating all the "what if" scenarios that come with UFA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's more than a $40 mil difference. 

If he got to FAcy and was looking for a 30% max deal of the projected $149 million cap for 5 years...that's a deal starting at ~$44 mil with the 8% raises.....that's +$200 million.

Considering that FVV signed a 3yr max deal for $128 million with a lower cap figure.

There's also no guarantee he would get offered a max deal so there is that. But yea, this is for sure a team friendly deal, no doubt about it. 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, JustSomeGuy said:

Love the deal. Only gets better with better floor spacing after we dump Hunter. 

We need to replace Hunter with someone better if we dump him. Easier said then done. This team's biggest need is still defense. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, shakes said:

Bad math on my part.  😂

But the point remains.  Some guys would roll the dice until next year, some would secure the maximum they can get right now.  I am obviously glad he signed now as opposed to waiting.  This also stresses how valuable player opt out options are, had he had one this season it would've made a huge difference.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Marvin24Williams said:

Glad it's done. I do have my concerns with DJM and Trae's fit but this is an excellent contract.

If the fit doesn't resolve itself we now have an asset of really good value to trade. The deal itself is great news regardless. The worst case scenario was losing Murray for nothing after trading 3 first round picks away