• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dejounte Murray signs extension - 4yrs/$120 Million

JayBirdHawk

34 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

This was such a huge move by Landry and DJM. It shows Landry made the personal connection with DJ to make sure this deal closes. We both know Rich Paul can get in an ear for those commissions.

On a side note, DJ’s early injury probably was a big factor in this. He wasn’t offered rookie max because of it and probably feels better locking in the money. And for that I commend him for it because that $120m is life changing and nice peace of mind.

Does this now change the perception of Landry among the fan base?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Sign them, so they can possibly be dealt.  I agree.

If we keep them, no problem.

If we flip them for an upgrade, that's all good too.

If we sign them now and try to deal them....they'll be BYC players making it more difficult in that the salaries won't align since they'll technically still be on the rookie part of their deals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Really excited that DM is going to be an Atlanta Hawk for years to come!  Congrats on becoming a hundred millionaire and here's to bigger and better things in Atlanta, Dejounte!

I'm delighted that we will re-sign Dejounte.  My concern is, once he is eligible to be traded, will management pull another Huerter, Collins, etc. on him?  I hope that this is not another one of those situations.

Just now, Watchman said:

I'm delighted that we will re-sign Dejounte.  My concern is, once he is eligible to be traded, will management pull another Huerter, Collins, etc. on him?  I hope that this is not another one of those situations.

I doubt it very seriously.  If he's claiming "loyalty", Landry wouldn't dare trade him without his blessing.

My worry is more about the fan base turning on him, than Landry dealing him without his blessing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

What if we wait until the trade deadline?

The salary imbalance issue would still be in play. Not saying it can't be done just more difficult. The Hawks will lose on value.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I doubt it very seriously.  If he's claiming "loyalty", Landry wouldn't dare trade him without his blessing.

My worry is more about the fan base turning on him, than Landry dealing him without his blessing.

No matter who's here, there will always be a portion of the fan base that'll turn on our players if they aren't living up to the expectations. It is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae and Murray become the new Dame and CJ.  Now it's up to ownership to add that final piece.

Hopefully Trae knows something we don't.

Birdman Going In GIF - Birdman Going In When You Get What You Want -  Discover & Share GIFs

Can we shoot higher than that?  They ain't accomplish sh*t.

Give me Isaiah and Dumars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

There's nothing but positives in this. We gave up a lot to get DJM and now he's repaid that by taking less money to be here for at least five seasons. Extension kicks in after this season for those not sure how that works.

This really speaks volumes about the changing landscape in the NBA. All Star players taking less money to resign in Atlanta has literally never happened before. DJM did this to help this team get another guy. He did this to help them keep guys as well. 

If you had doubts about the front office I hope those doubts are going away. They had a great draft and have made good trades to bolster this team's depth. They just kept an All Star for less money if he had played it out and hit free agency. 

Wins all the way around. For once we don't have to be skeptical to be a Hawks fan. Just ENJOY it.

This isn't how I see it at all.  DJM made a business decision.  I don't blame him at all and I probably would have done the same.  He could have made more if he waited until next offseason, but risks blowing out his knee/achilles or having a bad year or something else major.  He wasn't willing to bet $120 million guaranteed for a potential ~160M.  That's a HUGE risk for a small additional reward.  He hasn't secured a huge contract before now and this sets him for life.  

This wasn't about taking less for the Hawks, he took the maximum he could get.  If he had a player option for 2023 he would've signed for a lot more.  This locks him for 120 guaranteed and he has a player option at age 30 so he can secure another large bag in the future.

I love DJM and we are very fortunate to have benefitted from this.  And I don't blame him for taking the contract.  He isn't a LeBron/KD type who can still secure a max deal even if they get injured.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

He wasn't willing to bet $120 million guaranteed for a potential ~160M. 

It's more than a $40 mil difference. 

If he got to FAcy and was looking for a 30% max deal of the projected $149 million cap for 5 years...that's a deal starting at ~$44 mil with the 8% raises.....that's +$200 million.

Considering that FVV signed a 3yr max deal for $128 million with a lower cap figure.

• Like 3