• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Five Hawks make the top 100 list from the Athletic

NBASupes

https://theathletic.com/4784508/2023/08/18/nba-player-tiers-kevin-durant-giannis-jokic-curry?source=user-shared-article

Trae 3B

Murray 4B

Capela, Hunter, and Bogi 5A

Usually we have 6 players on this list and maybe 7 but Okongwu or Bey didn't make it and JC was traded who's on the list for the Jazz. 

I definitely felt the Hawks got slighted this year. No respect. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Having JC on and OO off is kind of a joke but plenty of other items to critique on there.  Can’t complain too much until we stop playing like a .500 team.  (Of course that isn’t a problem for many other players they rate.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, AHF said:

Having JC on and OO off is kind of a joke but plenty of other items to critique on there.  Can’t complain too much until we stop playing like a .500 team.  (Of course that isn’t a problem for many other players they rate.)

I agree on this one. Okongwu is becoming probably one of the most underrated players in the NBA considering his rep. People who watch his every game seem to value him greatly though

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

https://theathletic.com/4784508/2023/08/18/nba-player-tiers-kevin-durant-giannis-jokic-curry?source=user-shared-article

Trae 3B

Murray 4B

Capela, Hunter, and Bogi 5A

Usually we have 6 players on this list and maybe 7 but Okongwu or Bey didn't make it and JC was traded who's on the list for the Jazz. 

I definitely felt the Hawks got slighted this year. No respect. 

can you post the list for those of us who refuse to give the Athletic any money?  They're on my boycott list.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Facts.  When I saw Ja, SGA, and Lillard ranked higher than Trae.... What is this...

It's embarrassing honestly.  Yeah I'm a homer or whatever but this isn't some click bait rag (or maybe it is), this is supposed to be the premier sports site in the country.  

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

It's embarrassing honestly.  Yeah I'm a homer or whatever but this isn't some click bait rag (or maybe it is), this is supposed to be the premier sports site in the country.  

They have went way downhill ever since they got bought out by the NYT.

I knew The Athletic was hogwash when they first came out.  They actually thought Mark Spears was some kinda basketball authority and around the time of it hitting the net he said he had a vote for All Defense and he had no idea who he was gonna vote for with like 2 weeks to go in the season.  Since then the only thing I associate with it is pandering liberalism.  

Imagine paying for Jeff Schultz opinions, what?!

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Ble-cher Report Top 100

30. Trae Young

zafvpdq1ild1ze5shlpl.jpg
Brian Babineau/NBAE via Getty Images

2022-23 Stats — 26.2 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 10.2 APG, 42.9 FG%, 33.5 3PT% (73 games played)

Last Year's Top 100 Ranking: 12 (Down 18 Spots)

World-class maestros would be impressed by Trae Young's ability to conduct an NBA offense. His pick-and-roll prowess is arguably unmatched, and his mere floor presence almost guarantees Atlanta a top-five attack.

Now, this is where some note that Young's defensive limitations (stemming mostly from his lack of size at 6'1" and 164 lbs) might also ensure a bottom-third defense. But that isn't our puzzle to solve; Atlanta's front office and head coach Quin Snyder have to crack that code.

Still, there's a reason the Hawks keep trying to make this work with Young. His all-caps ELITE offense offsets his negatives and then some. Only two players have ever averaged at least 25 points and nine assists in more than two seasons. One is Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson. The other is Young, a 24-year-old who has cleared those marks in four consecutive campaigns (a stretch that started in his sophomore season).

His lack of physical tools should be a hindrance—and are defensively—but he has hidden them on offense under a pile of deep threes, soft floaters, pocket passes and perfectly placed lobs. He is an offensive savant, and this league would be in real trouble if Atlanta ever figured out how to assemble a top-third defense around him.

—Buckley

47. Dejounte Murray

ibuw4mj4ntooxz8itmzp.jpg
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

2022-23 Stats — 20.5 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 6.1 APG, 46.4 FG%, 34.4 3PT% (74 games played)

Last Year's Top 100 Ranking: 36 (Down 11 Spots)

Having less responsibility (and opportunity) on both ends of the floor understandably limited Dejounte Murray's production a bit last season. His averages for points, rebounds, assists and steals all dropped from their 2021-22 levels.

Perhaps even more alarming than that, when he was on the floor, the Atlanta Hawks' net rating was significantly worse.

For at least the first year of the Murray-Trae Young partnership, things didn't go great. It's too early to give up on the experiment, though. In theory, it still makes sense.

Murray is undoubtedly a better perimeter defender than Young and can spare him some difficult matchups. He might also be able to generate a few more catch-and-shoot opportunities for his point guard. Hopefully, 2022-23 was just the adjustment period.

—Andy Bailey

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10087588-predicting-nbas-top-100-players-for-2023-24-season

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ble-cher Report Top 100

30. Trae Young

zafvpdq1ild1ze5shlpl.jpg
Brian Babineau/NBAE via Getty Images

2022-23 Stats — 26.2 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 10.2 APG, 42.9 FG%, 33.5 3PT% (73 games played)

Last Year's Top 100 Ranking: 12 (Down 18 Spots)

World-class maestros would be impressed by Trae Young's ability to conduct an NBA offense. His pick-and-roll prowess is arguably unmatched, and his mere floor presence almost guarantees Atlanta a top-five attack.

Now, this is where some note that Young's defensive limitations (stemming mostly from his lack of size at 6'1" and 164 lbs) might also ensure a bottom-third defense. But that isn't our puzzle to solve; Atlanta's front office and head coach Quin Snyder have to crack that code.

Still, there's a reason the Hawks keep trying to make this work with Young. His all-caps ELITE offense offsets his negatives and then some. Only two players have ever averaged at least 25 points and nine assists in more than two seasons. One is Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson. The other is Young, a 24-year-old who has cleared those marks in four consecutive campaigns (a stretch that started in his sophomore season).

His lack of physical tools should be a hindrance—and are defensively—but he has hidden them on offense under a pile of deep threes, soft floaters, pocket passes and perfectly placed lobs. He is an offensive savant, and this league would be in real trouble if Atlanta ever figured out how to assemble a top-third defense around him.

—Buckley

47. Dejounte Murray

ibuw4mj4ntooxz8itmzp.jpg
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

2022-23 Stats — 20.5 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 6.1 APG, 46.4 FG%, 34.4 3PT% (74 games played)

Last Year's Top 100 Ranking: 36 (Down 11 Spots)

Having less responsibility (and opportunity) on both ends of the floor understandably limited Dejounte Murray's production a bit last season. His averages for points, rebounds, assists and steals all dropped from their 2021-22 levels.

Perhaps even more alarming than that, when he was on the floor, the Atlanta Hawks' net rating was significantly worse.

For at least the first year of the Murray-Trae Young partnership, things didn't go great. It's too early to give up on the experiment, though. In theory, it still makes sense.

Murray is undoubtedly a better perimeter defender than Young and can spare him some difficult matchups. He might also be able to generate a few more catch-and-shoot opportunities for his point guard. Hopefully, 2022-23 was just the adjustment period.

—Andy Bailey

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10087588-predicting-nbas-top-100-players-for-2023-24-season

wow, #30?  Looking at the list I'm now surprised they even had him that high.   

DJM I'm cool with.  he was definitely not as good as we thought he would be.    And getting suspended for a playoff game took him down several notches in my book.