• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Big O (real, not fake)

sturt

19 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I just don’t understand one thing about some people:

Why do they have to get everyone to agree. Who really gives a $hit. 🤷‍♀️ 

Exactly.

It's just not that big of a deal in the grand scheme.  I know it's a HUGE deal to him, but I'm not sure anyone else in any other realm of media is talking about it.  We're only talking about it because it continues to be pushed as a "thing" to discuss.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

If there was a GIFer on the squawk vote 🗳️ you would win every time hands down 🤣 I spilled 🥛 out my nose thanks.

We should start doing superlatives and like, nominate posters each year for certain categories like this.

Maybe a silent poll voting system and then at the end of the season announce the winners.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

So, at least there is some semblance of a substantive response to give reply... I'm big on seeing glasses half full. So, this is just great. Appreciate the effort.

Unfortunately, we covered this at some point, iirc.... and even if we didn't, surely what I'm about to say isn't new to you, or if it is, may I suggest to you Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. It will very possibly change your life. For the better.

1. If what is right is to be measured by what things are relative to how other things are, then you're what we call a relativist... so in current events terms,

"It's not like Onyeka is a member of Hamas and slashed babies heads off... so, given that, whoever is holding Onyeka accountable for disrespecting an old man who has lived a full life and now needs to just be content with the pasture... those people need to lighten up."

Relativist thinking is great. It lets us all off the hook because there is almost always someone who has done something that is worse. We love relativist thinking, at least as long as someone doesn't do something to us... then we yell and scream for justice, whether it's that guy who double parked and made me have to walk 100 extra yards to get into Walmart, or that guy who did that thing I would never do at work in order to get promoted, or [insert offense here].

Accountability really only matters depending on "how does it impact me."

2. If what is right is to be measured by what things are popular to promote or to condemn, then you're what we call a populist... so, in current events terms,

"We're members of Hamas, and tomorrow morning, we're taking a paraglider over the Gaza walls... and while we know the world outside will take a dark view of the offense once the news breaks, all that actually matters is that our own people either support what we're about to do, or are apathetic about what we're about to do. So given that, unless there is outrage among fans of the Hawks about this stolen valor thing, it's all good.

Populist thinking is great. It lets the majority off the hook because, well, they're the majority. There is never a minority opinion that is ethically valid. We love populist thinking, at least as long as we're in the majority, and in fact, some of us even bend our ethics to consistently fit with whatever the majority opinion happens to be on Issue X or Y or Z.

Accountability really only matters depending on "how many people agree with me."

The notable common denominator in those two?

It's all about who? "Me."

The relativist "me". And/or the populist "me". But either way... "me."

Ironic. So ironic. But I don't make the rules, I only know what they are, and I don't pretend they don't exist.

The very person who stands up for an old man's honor in this dialogue... and just being fair to me since no one else appears to be especially inclined to do so... the very person who actually gets nothing for his trouble other than the satisfaction that the issue is being raised enough that a few more people are prompted to think about the ethics of all this (... aside: possibly sports' greatest value, in fact, is that it sometimes forces people who otherwise wouldn't think about ethics to think about ethics... ) ... is the person who gets maligned... in this case, not just by the unemployed comics seeking to make their mark but by legitimate relativists and populists... the "we measure ethic according to how me is affected" people. The center is what is best for self. Empathy be damned.

Irony, or hypocriticism? Dunno. And it doesn't matter anyway because even illuminating that just makes it more unlikely that any of those people will be moved to reconsider their thinking. Self-assessment (or "accountability") not a priority. (Who knew?)

Changing gears, at least slightly, there are a lot of visitors to this site. Don't fool yourself. Not everyone posts. Not everyone re-visits threads they've already read, so not everyone even expresses themselves emoji-ly (... yes, that's a word, or it is now 🙂 ).

So. To you stuck on the populist paradigm, who cannot figure out if it's murder unless someone else calls it murder first... and even then, require a vote... let it comfort you that, no, I'm not alone. I can safely say that much. Very safely. There is an ethical adult audience here, plural, and, at least some, either have enjoyed or are still enjoying how this is going. Some usernames you might know, some you probably don't. (Remember, some of us go back to the very start.)

No surprise, I will continue to speak primarily to them when I post on this topic.... if I ever do... let's see if Onyeka figures it out, though. I like to think most people have a general inclination to live by the four-way test.

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Sothron said:

This is for @sturt  and everyone else: the real Big O himself

It's funny to learn... maybe everyone else knows this, but I didn't... that Oscar was apprehensive about "Big O" at first b/c he knew that if he didn't perform well, he'd quickly become known as the Big Zero.... hehe.

Go ahead. Ask him, Onyeka. Don't be shy. Who knows. Maybe he'll tell you he's kind of tired of the brand at this point anyway, and would rather hand it off to someone else to have to live up to. Why not?

• Premium Member

I remember when Larry Hughes tried calling himself Larry Legend. Oh wait. He didn't. I remember when the other Earvin Johnson called himself Magic. Oh wait. He didn't. 

I agree that nicknames are sacred in terms of the court. I also don't believe you can give yourself your own nickname. I never would have called myself "Timdawg" or "Textbook" but that's what I was called on the court or around school/work. But those names stuck.

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I also don't believe you can give yourself your own nickname.

Begs the question... who's driving that train behind closed doors.

Until this year, it hadn't been apparent that Yeka was pushing it b/c, at least as far as I ever saw, the ones using it were a couple or three teammates, Nate, and Travis... and/but mostly Hawks social media employees who, one might be inclined to figure, truly might not know that there is a real Big O.

Suspicious to me that Yeka apparently said at some point (... not sure I read this first hand... think someone here had claimed to have read it, and I took their word for it... ) that he'd been given the nickname when he was in middle school... easy to make the connection, then, that he may have shared that with one of his teammates, who then began calling him that, and others latched on as well.

But if none of that is true after all, it makes it more plausible to think it just originated with someone on the team, without Yeka's implicit endorsement.

For those interested, and as I've been saying for a while, he appears to have had the nickname since he was a youth. His Twitter handle is BigO21 and he joined in 2013. So it's not like he decided last year to be Big O. 

I think I read that someone in his family called him that early on and it stuck. Not sure of the accuracy of that part though. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

For those interested, and as I've been saying for a while, he appears to have had the nickname since he was a youth. His Twitter handle is BigO21 and he joined in 2013. So it's not like he decided last year to be Big O. 

Thank you.