• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I agree.  But there was literally a Hawks fan on this board that declared he was "done with Trae" and the Hawks should trade him when the exact same play happened in the Bulls game and Trae didn't get the call.  

:thinking:

We have some of the [use more appropriate word] 'fans' 

Spoiler

I couldn't find the right word so I preemptively censored myself 🤓

• Haha 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I agree.  But there was literally a Hawks fan on this board that declared he was "done with Trae" and the Hawks should trade him when the exact same play happened in the Bulls game and Trae didn't get the call.  

Both Brunson and Trae are excellent point guards so I'll strongly disagree with that take.  It would be nice to see Trae get the same respect as someone like Brunson especially when Brunson does something that is basically an imitation of Trae but that has nothing to do with my take on either player.

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

This is pretty insane even for Thibs

image.png

Thibs the old Nellie, fool played folks into the ground! Just ask Michael Finley.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Thibs the old Nellie, fool played folks into the ground! Just ask Michael Finley.

It's crazy by itself but when you look that Hartenstein and Robinson basically split the center minutes, Mcbride was the only sub used for all four other guys and for a total of 9 minutes.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's crazy by itself but when you look that Hartenstein and Robinson basically split the center minutes, Mcbride was the only sub used for all four other guys and for a total of 9 minutes.  

I get the concept that in the postseason minutes for your top players trend up.  But I can't imagine random regular season games look that much different than what you laid out.

Also remember OG is probably still sorta injured rn.  Deng 2.0, folks.  Buyer beware on the free agent market. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I get the concept that in the postseason minutes for your top players trend up.  But I can't imagine random regular season games look that much different than what you laid out.

Also remember OG is probably still sorta injured rn.  Deng 2.0, folks.  Buyer beware on the free agent market. 

Plus they gave up a bit to get Bojan (bummer he got hurt) and Burks only to not have them or use them in the playoffs 

image.png

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Plus they gave up a bit to get Bojan (bummer he got hurt) and Burks only to not have them or use them in the playoffs 

image.png

I'd only add that none of the players they shipped out were actually playing, so I'd suggest they lost no depth in that deal. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'd only add that none of the players they shipped out were actually playing, so I'd suggest they lost no depth in that deal. 

yeah that's probably true.  how dey do dat. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The super team era is DEAD. Building a system and culture around your best player (has to be the right player) is what is working. I think half of this is due to damage to your resources and flexibility when putting a super team together. The other half is that players are not GMs and don’t always know how pieces should fit together.

Suns, Lakers, Clippers, Bucks all tried to stack assets. None could figure it out. Hawks dipped their toes in with DJ and quickly realized that was a mistake.

Team building is much more than making trades to keep guys happy. When Lebron retires, so will the whole player empowerment era.

I think part of that are also these stars aging out and can't stay healthy. All on the 32+ side except Booker at 27 and Giannis at 29. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think part of that are also these stars aging out and can't stay healthy. All on the 32+ side except Booker at 27 and Giannis at 29. 

Also facts. It was very generational phenomenon for that era of stars.

The new stars are in their prime, and they still need help to win, but not to the extent that it has been in the recent past. The best teams have done it slow and over time.l until their best players were ready to break out.

I had LAC and Minnesota as the two best teams in the regular season from watching all of the games. Boston is tremendous but they don't have the player I can truly count on in the big game. That said, I felt Minnesota would faulter via injury and the only thing that happen is LAC faulter and Kawhi looks washed. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 11:25 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

The super team era is DEAD. Building a system and culture around your best player (has to be the right player) is what is working. I think half of this is due to damage to your resources and flexibility when putting a super team together. The other half is that players are not GMs and don’t always know how pieces should fit together.

Suns, Lakers, Clippers, Bucks all tried to stack assets. None could figure it out. Hawks dipped their toes in with DJ and quickly realized that was a mistake.

Team building is much more than making trades to keep guys happy. When Lebron retires, so will the whole player empowerment era.

Our problem was we went too hard trying to win. We can still fix our issues by quality drafting for Trae like Zach Edey and trades for fit like BI and Dyson Daniels