• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No extension for Saddiq Bey

NBASupes

I hate this for my anxiety but I do understand that it may be best to let him test the market and just match if he wants to bet on himself.

DJ and OO both took less than their value to re-sign with us. It is very likely that whatever deal Bey was offered was also an underpay.

Contract year players tend to ball out, this would be great for us if he did.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I hate this for my anxiety but I do understand that it may be best to let him test the market and just match if he wants to bet on himself.

DJ and OO both took less than their value to re-sign with us. It is very likely that whatever deal Bey was offered was also an underpay.

Contract year players tend to ball out, this would be great for us if he did.

One of the reasons Detroit moved him was the cost of the extension he was seeking. It was reported he was looking for Hunter money. Would love to know what the Hawks offered.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sothron said:

He wants at least Hunter money. I think there's a chance he can be moved this season before the deadline.

He should want that, it’s not like Hunter is making anything crazy. Even if he is an underachiever, there are worse players making $30 mil per year. $22.5  is pedestrian for a good, young starter. 

I wouldn’t trade Bey just because he wants his max value. Once he hits RFA, the market will likely give him the same thing we were offering. There are not a lot of teams with spare cash to overpay for a player like Bey.

We probably do need to choose between Hunter and Bey long term, and that is probably the best reason to trade either. Especially with the team being as high on JJ as we are. His long term deal is probably highest on the priority list for the front office.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

There are not a lot of teams with spare cash to overpay for a player like Bey.

Current Capspace teams next offseason:

San Antonio Spurs: $55.3 million

Orlando Magic: $51.3 million

Utah Jazz: $41.6 million

Charlotte Hornets: $40.7 million

Detroit Pistons: $38.7 million

Philadelphia 76ers: $32.9 million

Washington Wizards: $20.1 million

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I'm not knocking Bey. My feelings on Hunter, who has been somehow worse than Marvin Williams, are well known. But I am telling you guys and gal what I've been hearing for months from my Hawks sources. Bey wants starter level money and he 100% sees himself as a starter and wants starter minutes/role etc.

We don't have that for him here imo. Hunter and JJ are what we see going forward unless we make the big trade for KAT in which case Hunter is out the door. But unless that happens...you can't have Hunter/Bey/JJ/AJ and pay those first two names and stay under the LT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Sothron said:

I'm not knocking Bey. My feelings on Hunter, who has been somehow worse than Marvin Williams, are well known. But I am telling you guys and gal what I've been hearing for months from my Hawks sources. Bey wants starter level money and he 100% sees himself as a starter and wants starter minutes/role etc.

We don't have that for him here imo. Hunter and JJ are what we see going forward unless we make the big trade for KAT in which case Hunter is out the door. But unless that happens...you can't have Hunter/Bey/JJ/AJ and pay those first two names and stay under the LT.

Do you know why the FO traded for Bey? Wasn't it well known at the time Bey wanted big money and we most likely couldn't afford to keep him?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, yungsta said:

Do you know why the FO traded for Bey? Wasn't it well known at the time Bey wanted big money and we most likely couldn't afford to keep him?

They  wanted to improve our bench and have a real backup forward that was NBA ready at either forward spot. He has value. The team can easily keep him and simply match any RFA offer he gets. Moving JC's deal really has helped our books out as well as DJM and OO taking massive pay cuts.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 10/23/2023 at 8:47 PM, Sothron said:

He wants at least Hunter money. I think there's a chance he can be moved this season before the deadline.

At least we didn't give him Hunter money.  

I could live with his putrid defense if his 3pt shooting was on point, but his 3pt shooting just keeps going downhill since mid-November.  Currently 33%

🤢

Screenshot_20240115_185124_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Sad 3

• Moderators

His corner 3 % this season is a complete outlier for his career.  He shoots around 40% every season and this year is shooting around 30%.  It is a problem since we feature him there.  He needs to regress to the mean in a positive way for us.