• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No extension for Saddiq Bey

NBASupes

10 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

To get upgrades, you have to send out picks.  We don't have picks to send out.  What are you even suggesting here?

Perhaps a 2 for 1 deal?

:smug:

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

And the main problem is we have no sustained direction or approach. It's a flip flop every season.

Agree with you 100% here.

But OG was going to sign with NY in free agency and chose his destination -- we don't really get opportunities like that unfortunately, in the same way Lakers and contenders pick up all the good vet min guys.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

But OG was going to sign with NY in free agency and chose his destination -- we don't really get opportunities like that unfortunately, in the same way Lakers and contenders pick up all the good vet min guys.

That goes back directly to Ownership, front office and coaching instability. You have to establish relationships and longevity.  There is ALWAYS something!

That causes a trickle-down effect to the on-court product.

• Like 2

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Knicks didn't either until they established themselves as a quality team by adding Brunson to Randle.  Everyone was passing on them until Thibs at least established a culture and they went from bad to mid pack. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Schlenk wasn't perfect but he had a pretty consistent plan that he was sticking to at least. 

I want Schlenks vision with someone else negotiating extensions.  I was very onboard with what Schlenk was trying to build, but he was handing out fat contracts and put us in some bad spots.  Specifically, he didn't seem to weigh injury risk/history or availability into what we pay guys.  And he got attached to his picks -- no way JC was getting that much on the open market.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Knicks didn't either until they established themselves as a quality team by adding Brunson to Randle.  Everyone was passing on them until Thibs at least established a culture and they went from bad to mid pack. 

Have a plan, stick to the plan. Stop being reactionary and impatient and meddlesome.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I want Schlenks vision with someone else negotiating extensions.  I was very onboard with what Schlenk was trying to build, but he was handing out fat contracts and put us in some bad spots.  Specifically, he didn't seem to weigh injury risk/history or availability into what we pay guys.  And he got attached to his picks -- no way JC was getting that much on the open market.

That is the whole point of RFA - we can’t be afraid to match what the market gives someone.

• Premium Member

Saddiq Bey Meets Starter Criteria, Increasing QO

Hawks forward Saddiq Bey met the “starter criteria” for potential restricted free agents earlier this week by making his 41st start of the season.

An RFA-to-be meets the criteria – which dictates the value of his qualifying offer – when he starts 41 games or plays 2,000 minutes in the final season of his contract, or when he averages 41 starts (or 2,000 minutes) in his last two seasons before free agency.

As a result of meeting the starter criteria, Bey will see the value of his qualifying offer increase by approximately $2MM. The No. 19 overall pick in the 2020 draft, Bey had been on track for a QO worth $6,498,258, but that figure will be bumped to $8,486,620, which is the equivalent of what the No. 9 pick in his draft class would receive.

It remains to be seen whether or not that modest bump will have a tangible impact on Bey’s free agency. If the Hawks issue the qualifying offer and the 24-year-old signs a multiyear contract, the QO will essentially just function as a placeholder until his new deal is completed. But he has been inconsistent this season, shooting a career-worst 31.6% from the three-point line, so it’s not as if he’s a lock for a massive payday, despite his promising skill set.

Perhaps the increase from $6.5MM to $8.5MM will give the Hawks – who have over $158MM in guaranteed money committed to 10 players in 2024/25 – some pause as they consider whether to issue that qualifying offer. And if Bey does receive a QO and doesn’t find an appealing multiyear deal right away, that extra $2MM could make accepting the one-year deal a more intriguing option.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I know Bey tries but I hope they let him go. He doesn't play any defense and his only saving point is his three point shooting and he has been awful this year.

He should stay as long as he's never a starter again 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 2/14/2024 at 4:34 PM, JeffS17 said:

At the time of the deal JCs contract wasn't insane. It was an overpay but not by much. People forget what JC was, he was a couple of years removed from a monster 22-10 season and had been a key player in our ECF run. I don't think many foresaw him going downhill every single season during his prime years. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

At the time of the deal JCs contract wasn't insane. It was an overpay but not by much. People forget what JC was, he was a couple of years removed from a monster 22-10 season and had been a key player in our ECF run. I don't think many foresaw him going downhill every single season during his prime years. 

We somehow allowed JC to go to the market, solicit offers, get nothing that matched what we offered, and still let him take our offer.  That is like reverse RFA where we pay more if other teams offer more and don't get the benefit of lesser offers from the market.  RFA is supposed to work where teams make conservative value offers and then match the higher offer from the market not overpay and leave the offer on the table while the RFA shops himself to other teams in the hopes of getting even more.