• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Why does anyone value him? His defense is worst than Trae's.  Trae's been adequate this season. I'm referring to previous seasons. 

Reminds me of all the swirling rumors about how LAL was gonna trade THT and get back all these stars. 

Media folk want so badly to help LA.  And the ones not bumpin' for LA are the ones tryna help Lebron.  It's the perfect confluence of yearn-alism.

What LAL did last year to turn things around was an anomaly they seem to assume will be available to them every year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Phunkabilly said:

@theheroatl, I might have to smack some sense into ya, lol.  The main piece you would be getting there (at least from a usage perspective) is Lavine, who doesn't play a lick of defense and would absolutely cripple our financial flexibility for the foreseeable future.  The dude is already not performing up to his salary and will likely only get worse in future years. 

I'd be fine with PWill as a buy-low candidate, but am not willing to pay a premium for him.  He's decent on the defensive side, but his offense leaves a lot to be desired, although I would be interested in seeing if Trae could help elevate him on that side of the ball.  But add in the fact that he's looking to be PAID this upcoming offseason, so I wouldn't count on him to help us beyond this year.  If anything, the Hawks should have learned not to overpay role players who haven't really shown much so far.

I do like Caruso, and he would be the main guy of interest to me here.

From a player-to-player value perspective, in comparing performance to price, here's how I roughly see the comparison:

DJ >>>> Lavine
Bey = PWill
Bogi = Caruso

If you truly wanted to do a offense-for-defense swap, I would just make it Bey + Bogi for PWill + Caruso.  I think that's pretty close on value and makes much more sense if helping our defense is the goal.  Including Lavine just absolutely kills it for me.

While I 100% agree that acquiring Lavine is a bad move for the Hawks I cannot see any reason why Chicago would want to swap Caruso and Williams for Bogi and Bey since that trade does not solve any needs for them.  

Just being devils advocate.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Honestly, I think the Austin Reaves talk is more about adjusting outsiders (not OUR outsiders!) to what we want in return for DJ. For some reason, Reaves is seen as this up and coming, starting caliber player, better than others in rumors at least, so I think it's more about making a statement that we aren't just taking crap more than anything else. Reaves is closer to a Bogi replacement than a DJ replacement.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ShooterSays said:

Maybe it's Austin Reaves to a 3rd team just like if it was D-Lo in the trade and we get an extra pick out of it?

Idk... we'd give up 150 a night if we add him to our defense.

I said before, you want Reaves because he has more trade value than DLo, so if the Hawks don't want him, trade him for what you need.

• Like 3

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Reaves is closer to a Bogi replacement than a DJ replacement.

Absolutely.  They have their pros and cons relative to one another but a lot of overlap.  

image.png

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Honestly, I think the Austin Reaves talk is more about adjusting outsiders (not OUR outsiders!) to what we want in return for DJ. For some reason, Reaves is seen as this up and coming, starting caliber player, better than others in rumors at least, so I think it's more about making a statement that we aren't just taking crap more than anything else. Reaves is closer to a Bogi replacement than a DJ replacement.

Yeah, 100%.  Which is why he's so appealing to a lot of teams -- he's getting paid $4-5M less than Bogi, who is on a fair value contract imo. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I said before, you want Reaves because he has more trade value than DLo, so if the Hawks don't want him, trade him for what you need.

Agreed. I see a 3rd team being involved regardless of if it's Reaves or D-Lo. Reaves probably just gets us what we want from that 3rd team.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

"Not a lot of difference makers on the market so...[Lakers fans need to be prepared to lose Austin Reaves and several token 1st rounders for Dejounte Murray]

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

Reaves is perhaps the best value deal in the entire NBA. That's why he is covetted. He can shoot and pass at a very high percentile for his position. As has been noted, he is similar to Bogi in overall production but at a much lesser price. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, AHF said:

Name a contender with depth like ours.  You can't.  Every contender has better depth than we do.  We've already been over it.  The Bucks do.  The Nuggets do.  The Heat do.  All of them do.  Nobody has had to turn to people like Mat(t)hews when they got past their top 8.  

If we pulled off a trade for KAT or Siakam, we would have needed more depth than we did.  We don't have to be talking huge dollars.  Just better players.  

What is reductive is the idea that the only two options available to us were to go with garbage depth and try to build a true contender or ruin our financial flexibility signing mediocre players thus submarining our ability to add a third star.  That is a fallacious false dilemma.  There are other ways we could have approached team building.

If we got Siakam, we have no playable wings defenders on the roster (apologies to JJ who is very exciting but isn't a wing defender today or in the near term future).  (No apologies to Bey, Mathews, Matthews, AJ, Bogi, and Lundy who were a combination of known defensive liabilities, too young to be counted on, or too old to be counted on.)  No smart GM tries for an outcome then leaves the roster incapable of supporting that outcome.

To close the loop on this one, here is what our front office knew going into this season.  And I'm using win shares here to continue what you've started.  This is the average player win shares for roster spots 1-5, 6-8, and 9-15.  I'm using the roster spots from the 2023-2024 season and the average win shares those players had in the 2022-2023 season as that is the information our FO would be working from this offseason.  ATL has a barely above average starting 5, a very strong bench, and a weaker extended bench.  And our 1-5 is being understated because JJ did not receive meaningful minutes last year.

So the FO had very good reason to believe we could be somewhere around 5-6th seed this season, based on the strength of our 1-8 rotation, probably thinking we'd be fighting for home court in the playoffs if Quins system took hold.  I'm not going to blame them for Hunter being injured and JJ getting a freak injury.  We need more top end talent on this team.

So what is important here?  It is very clear where we need to improve, and that is the 1-5 roster spots.  No contenders are relying on their 9-15 spots going into this season -- it's hardly worth discussing those.  We need top end talent, period.

image.png

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

Well it looks like the LA and Atlanta trade finally went down. 

TRADE: The Atlanta Dream have acquired Jordin Canada and 12th pick in 2024 WNBA Draft from the Los Angeles Sparks in exchange for guard Aari McDonald and the 8th pick.

— Atlanta Dream PR (@ATLDreamPR) February 1, 2024

Championship

NXDCka.gif

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
On 1/26/2024 at 2:41 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Or just use the media to his advantage as well. 

Why not something like "Hawks are determined to land Reaves, Hood-schifino and picks from the Lakers in any Murray deal." It sets his value. Don't let the other team establish your players value. 

Or it could simply be, Lakers offered DLo, Hawks countered with Reaves....not let it stand that LAL trying to find a 3rd team for DLo. 

(I mention Reaves since he has a higher trade value than DLo - Hawks can also trade him if they don't see him as a fit, similar to what PTL did with Dame and acquiring Jrue. Traded for to extract further value).

It's all about perception and baseline player value.

I see the Hawks FO took my advice! based on today's Woj report! :laugh1:

• Haha 1

The perception means nothing, it all comes down to what Landry accepts as a great offer.

I don’t care if Woj says he is worth only a 2nd rounder.

also Ressler ain’t selling Murray for trash, the guy is a business man for a reason 

landry only has to accept a deal that they see as valuable and all the fodder out there is big time trash fodder media dreams for laker clicks and Knick clicks

see the connection? Knicks and laker clicks

this isn’t a fire sale, Murray is a coveted asset.

you can read all the trash you want, doesn’t change the facts

-signed, Nick

Edited by theheroatl
  • Thanks 1