• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

Just now, Diesel said:

I think it's a bevy of things that must be considered.

1. Injuries.

Without the Injuries, we'd be over .500 in my opinion.   JJ missing what 9 games and Hunter missing 19 and Clint missing about 4.. is what has us where we are.   We are a very tight team.  We are really tight because we don't have good depth.  Every judgement of this team is us when we lose missing starters.   Last night, we were down 2 starters.   Had they played, we may have won that game.   The same is true against the Clipps.   That's the problem... we have just played 2 of the best 3 teams in the league and we were right there and we were missing starters and had key players on minute restrictions.   The context is never given though.. it goes down as a loss.   They say Boston is the best defensive team in the Land..  We scored on them easily in the 1st half.  We missed DJ in the second half after Trae was injured. 

1. New System

We have to learn Quin's system and then we have to trust it.   That's going to take time.   You see it on the court.   We just don't have the trust.   We sometimes still revert back to whatever Nate had us doing.   The good news is that there's less reversion. 

1. BBIQ

Some of our players just lack it.   I'm not pointing fingers yet but we have some players that Need Trae to run a heliocentric offense for them to be important.  And some who are just clueless on defense. 

Once we deal with this correctly.. through minor trades..and time and healthy.. we will be top 4 in the East. 

I appreciate the optimism but I personally don't think the path is that easy.  This team is so dreadful defensively that it is hard to envision progressing without meaningful changes on the roster - and the team has limited resources to make those meaningful changes.  CC is on the decline already, Bogi is getting to that age where he could decline at any time (not to mention his injury history).  Hunter's injury history is what it is and I can't see it getting better as he ages.  The fact that AJ and Kobe can't get any burn on this team is not a good sign.  

Plus the whole point of signing Quinn last year was to jump start things this season.  That has not worked out.  

I hope I am wrong.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Let's be honest.  AJ isn't going to blow up.   The fear of him blowing up shouldn't be a reason not to trade him.  Could he be a good player and great shooter in the league.  Definitely.  But he most likely isn't going to be a star.   How many good shooting 6'6" wings are in this league?  A lot.  They have to do something else to get to a star level player.  

Nothing against AJ.  I'd love to have him back out there.  But we shouldn't hold on to him for no reason. 

We were all arguing pre-season about who is the best star potential player between AJ and JJ and how the other should be moved to acquire talent. That question has been answered with authority. AJ can get packaged any which way if he brings back something of value.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yes, perhaps but it's also no coincidence that more notable GMs like Presti, Ainge and Stevens manage to get deals done.

I can only talk for Presti here.

Presti is a freak genius.  He team builds like none other.  The guy has an eye for talent, he has a blueprint, and basically he wins trades.   He's what you would want as a GM of a young team.  His problem is that he stacks up way too many valuable players and eventually he has to start sending some away.  You would say.. What a luxury.

But what do you do when you have Westbrook, KD, Harden, and Ibaka  And they all want to be maxed out and your owner tells you.. you only get to max out 2 of them?  And you look down the bench and you drafted this kid name Reggie Jackson and this three point champion you traded for named Daequan Cook.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Let's be honest.  AJ isn't going to blow up.   The fear of him blowing up shouldn't be a reason not to trade him.  Could he be a good player and great shooter in the league.  Definitely.  But he most likely isn't going to be a star.   How many good shooting 6'6" wings are in this league?  A lot.  They have to do something else to get to a star level player.  

Nothing against AJ.  I'd love to have him back out there.  But we shouldn't hold on to him for no reason. 

At least for me, him breaking out is only part of the equation.  The other consideration is...what do you even get for him?  If it's just a token late first or a couple of 2nds, what did you even trade him for? 

Obviously we should make the deal if the assets returned are a precursor to a larger deal, if he's included in a larger deal, or if you can get a player with the same level of potential back.  But trading him to experiment with some lateral moves/rentals makes no sense to me.  That's sounds like trading a player just to be trading - which is an absolutely terrible idea for a player with as much potential as he showed just last season.

The better route is to develop him.  Fix whatever the hell went wrong with him and Quinn or ship him to the G-League.  If for no other reason than increasing his value...  It makes zero sense to let him rot on the bench or just give him away.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I feel stupid for being surprised that tex-mex food in Texas is so much better.

Is it weird that I have an underlying fear of keurig machines?  Whenever they start up, I'm scared it's gonna explode hot coffee all over my game-blouse.

No, this is not off topic. 

It's the Georgia Tech in you. You don't trust the engineering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm at a loss to explain:

• Why his play was so bad in summer league and whenever he has played this season.
  • Why he hasn't gotten minutes regularly since Snyder arrived.
  • Why he took a personal leave.
  • Why he isn't playing in the G-League.

I know that his brother's child died.   That had to be hard..

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It's the Georgia Tech in you. You don't trust the engineering.

It's because I seen what the machines are gonna do to us ....... but I've said too much. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Grant Williams is better than. P.J. but P.J. is a clearly better fit for what Dallas needs which Is a 3rd scorer. 

Once you factor in that he's a turd, it becomes debatable. 

• Thanks 1