What's going right, what's going wrong with the Hawks. Supes edition

NBASupes

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trade Murray and OO for KAT

Man i agree with 100% of what you said i think.  But this right here is the biggest no brainer.  I'm not even a huge KAT fan but if we could do this I'd be thrilled.   

7 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

What you think about bufkin? Is he more 2 or 1.  Seems that as yet to be determined 

He's our new Jason Terry. He's just not ready yet. Leave him in College Park. He will be ready next year. 

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's our new Jason Terry. He's just not ready yet. Leave him in College Park. He will be ready next year. 

Right but.to.do what ? Your proposing above to get a sg and backup pg in the off-season.   And Inch taller and 20 lbs heavier than Murray he will prolly slot in there especially if we're able to get a big in here for Murray.  As we all know all the trade blank for blank stuff almost never happens and it's super hard to build once you are where we are. We need a good back half of the season to raise the value of this teams assets 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, hylndr11 said:

Right but.to.do what ? Your proposing above to get a sg and backup pg in the off-season.  

Presumably a Jamal Crawford / Lou Williams type of bench guard role (with differences in production due to differences in tools and skillsets).  Not a starter at either guard spot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Presumably a Jamal Crawford / Lou Williams type of bench guard role (with differences in production due to differences in tools and skillsets).  Not a starter at either guard spot.

This.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Only thing I disagree with is who we should target in the draft.  This team needs bigs or at a minimum, a 3/4 tweener on the bench.  It's our softest position in the rotation and getting a value rookie deal to be a backup for the next 4 years would be ideal.  We have enough guards on this roster between trae/dj/aj/bogi/kobe.  Obviously, trades could affect that but as is, I think we need to target bigs.

• Like 3

#4 - I continue to hear how bad Bogi's defense is.  I have a small problem with this.  He's not great, I agree.  However, I don't believe he's as terrible as some believe.  Just my 2Cents worth!

My take on this entire Hawk team: 

If their shots are falling, they can beat any NBA tea.

If their shots are not falling, any NBA team can beat them.

The outcome in almost any game the Hawks play depends on their shooting % in the game.  Defense matters.  Rebounding matters.  All true.  But, without a very good shooting % we are doomed.  (Note - Gotta make those free throws)

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

What's going right

Well, if they're top 10 profitability, what else really needs to be said... the list starts and ends there, no?

But I do want, seriously, to know where you saw that was the case. I've never seen that info made public, or I didn't think I had.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

What's going right 

1. Trae/Murray are actually starting to play off each other a lot better of late. 

2. JJ is a top 75 player on the cusp of top 50. 

3. Hunter proved to the haters that his value is a lot more than their eyes can see as we spun backwards badly without him.

4. Quin has a positive vibe with our stars and showed he can fix issues when things get murky. 

5. Bogi is damn good offensively. 

Wrong

1. Capela has clearly regressed and since he's our biggest impact player, we significantly regressed. 

2. OO doesn't fit Quin scheme like he did with Nate. Our centers have dropped in impact and we significantly dropped for that reason. 

3. JC stunk impact wise last year but was still a good player and should have been a backup but losing him for nothing did serious damage to our rep and depth. 

4. Our perimeter defense outside of Trae has substantially gotten worse. Bogi is still really bad and Murray is clearly best as a PG on D and it's not even close. 

5. Quin tries to fit square pegs in round holes. While Nate was rigid, he just played to everyone's best strength. But that harmed Trae impact which is a no no for Tony. Quin fixed that but still hasn't really successfully put this team together. Changes need to he made but smartly. 

What would you do Supes

Trade Murray and OO for KAT

Keep Clint If no one wants to give us a good deal. He still is solid, just not the impact player he was till this year. 

Get a backup PG in the draft who could be really good like Hali. Reed Sheppard please. 

Trade SAC 1st for decent SG who can fit next to Trae. Someone that can shoot, have good BBIQ, doesn't need the ball much, and can defend like his life depends on it. 

I would look to trade AJ for a 1st if things continue to not work but i don't know what's going on there so I tend to leave AJ alone. 

Good post and I agree with pretty much all of this. I’d still like to focus on the front court in the draft, but that’ll kind of depend on where we pick.

Regarding the wrong, I’ve felt like we have been missing JC a lot this year. Especially considering we didn’t get anything back. Sure, it let JJ grow..but our depth has suffered because JJ has been out of the lineup with injuries.

I think you hit all of the good spots, which is why many of us want to keep DJM until the offseason. I’d like to see if we can make a decent run and play good basketball with what we currently have. 

If you ignore Hunter’s draft position, he’s a good player. We all want more from him, but it’s pretty obvious we aren’t good when he isn’t starting and forcing Bey to start. Again, limits our depth and the impact our bench can make.

The only part of supes post I disagree with is Hunter and not for the reasons that Hunter is not impactful. Hunter is impactful for very specific reasons.

Where I disagree is that it’s just Hunter….IN MY OPINION the whole starting lineup has a specific impact somewhere that benefits the team if they were injured and the team is missing it during the games. This team doesn’t have any good depth but especially in the front court so perhaps any starter injured long term in the front court is more noticeable from the jump.

It’s not necessarily about hunters impact solely is my point….we just aren’t designed to survive any starter getting injured long term, no matter if it’s the best starter or worse starter on this team.

Edited by JTB

2 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Trey Murphy III should be our target to put next to Trae … super tall sg who is an excellent defender and and can shoot

Been clamoring for him for a while now myself.  The only DJ trade rumor I was excited about was for Murphy and Herb Jones that Sothron mentioned a while back.  Think he would fit extremely well with Quin's system.

• Like 1

I don’t know what it is but Synder has found something that works for Trae & DJ and I’m loving it.

Trae seems to be dominating throughout the game and then DJ has been the go to clutch guy down the stretch in the 2nd half of the season.

I’m not sure if DJ likes what’s working but it is working.

i do believe if DJ has things going running point where we are gaining a lead then Quinn need to leave DJ in the game longer and let that fire run out.

You put Trae back in with a lead I believe he will keep things going especially as of late! Trae has been on absolute fire 🔥.

• Moderators
On 2/4/2024 at 7:50 AM, JTB said:

I don’t know what it is but Synder has found something that works for Trae & DJ and I’m loving it.

I know what it is.   It came out that folks wouldn't trade Austin Reaves for DJ and it lit a fire under him.  

• Haha 1