• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jake Fischer Article on Jalen Johnson

KB21

Squawk posters:  This article is a "Must read" for all of you.  Gives us a better understanding about what we really have!

:smug:

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Inside Hawks forward Jalen Johnson's relentless pursuit of NBA stardom - Yahoo Sports

“He’s so good. He’s so athletic. He can guard every position,” one general manager told Yahoo Sports. “And he’s just beginning to figure out how good he can be.”

What we are seeing now is his floor. I've seen enough this season to confidently say there's no way JJ doesn't end up going to a few ALL Star games during his career. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Inside Hawks forward Jalen Johnson's relentless pursuit of NBA stardom - Yahoo Sports

“He’s so good. He’s so athletic. He can guard every position,” one general manager told Yahoo Sports. “And he’s just beginning to figure out how good he can be.”

I'm gonna have to disagree on the JJ defensive versatility take but he is really damn good. He's almost like a bizarre Josh Smith. A tweener but he's not an Uber elite athlete like Smoove although he's a freak athlete and that's a massive difference in possession by possession Basketball. He doesn't have none of the critical weaknesses that Smoove had which is a massive difference in possession by possession Basketball. 

JJ is by far the most improved player in the NBA. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You and I both know those votes are going to go to Tyrese "not improved, just playing more minutes" Maxey. 

No lies. Our guy pulled the “Drexler year 2 stat leap”..

Maxey 🗳️ is a cheat that was soooo last year. 😑 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I'm gonna have to disagree on the JJ defensive versatility take but he is really damn good. He's almost like a bizarre Josh Smith. A tweener but he's not an Uber elite athlete like Smoove although he's a freak athlete and that's a massive difference in possession by possession Basketball. He doesn't have none of the critical weaknesses that Smoove had which is a massive difference in possession by possession Basketball. 

JJ is by far the most improved player in the NBA. 

He doesn't really have Smoove's strength either.   Aggression!  JJ get a few posters... but there are far too many times, he jumps in the air and is very indecisive about what he wanted to do.   He leans more to a Ben Simmons than a Smoove.  Where Ben differs from JJ is that Ben was a better on-ball defender and Ben had a better BBIQ? i.e. he was a better playmaker.   Smoove was before his time.  If he played now, he'd be celebrated. 

I've seen people praising JJ's defense?  His defensive awareness is still poor.  Last night, he left the backdoor wide open.. all night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

He doesn't really have Smoove's strength either.   Aggression!  JJ get a few posters... but there are far too many times, he jumps in the air and is very indecisive about what he wanted to do.   He leans more to a Ben Simmons than a Smoove.  Where Ben differs from JJ is that Ben was a better on-ball defender and Ben had a better BBIQ? i.e. he was a better playmaker.   Smoove was before his time.  If he played now, he'd be celebrated. 

I've seen people praising JJ's defense?  His defensive awareness is still poor.  Last night, he left the backdoor wide open.. all night. 

Smoove is aggressive af. He don't have posters like that due to those small mitts which was one a multiple critical weaknesses Smoove had. JJ don't have any of that. 

Prime Ben don't play the game with good fluidity. He's sniff as a board. Smoove and JJ are fluid. Ben is all about using his speed, size, and finishing to overpower you offensively with his terrific vision. 

JJ reminds me of Smoove. Even the way they defend. I will say Simmons and JJ in the open court is comparable. At times, identical. JJ just don't have Ben's speed. Shit, no one 6'7+ has Ben's speed in his prime. He was lighting fast like Jason Kidd. 

His defense is a lot like Smoove where you see the BBIQ but the awareness and feel for the game is lacking. That's why last years JC was a clear defensive upgrade over JJ this year. I think his awareness is better than Smoove but his BBIQ isn't close to Smoove. Their feel is similar on defense. 

Offensively, the biggest growth I've seen from JJ is his offensive feel for the game. The game has slowed down and he's a lot more instinctive than I thought he would become. 

Edited by NBASupes

His game has progressed in a way that it never would have progressed under Lloyd Pierce or Nate McMillan.  When he figures out how to not get lost in his off the ball defense, he's going to be an absolute two-way STUD in the NBA.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

He's not a fan of bey and hunter I see. 

Where are you seeing that?  I don't follow Fischer generally but didn't really see that in the article.  (Which I only skimmed to be fair.)

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Where are you seeing that?  I don't follow Fischer generally but didn't really see that in the article.  (Which I only skimmed to be fair.)

That response was the to tweet I posted.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That response was the to tweet I posted.

Who is the "he" then and where is the Hunter/Bey hate?  Isn't that just an "NBA University" highlight reel of JJ to go with the prediction that he will be a multiple All-Star over the course of his career?

• Like 1

Just now, AHF said:

Who is the "he" then?  Isn't that just an "NBA University" highlight reel of JJ to go with the prediction that he will be a multiple All-Star over the course of his career?

Yep. Thats not Jake F.