2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

The outsiders have eyes on Phoenix 'cause they're obviously gonna make changes.  That's an unmitigated failure almost everyone saw coming.

But I'm afraid to go fishin for Booker-fish.  Mess around and have Beal-apia on the hook.

🫤

image.png.a083f656044ee71084815b3b6a186961.png

Hey at least we would outscore everyone...bring back the dantoni days 😂 

That Phoenix team is a colossal failure.. what a train wreck.. question is does any of those players help us for the cost they would take.

All these teams built around offense gonna run into a brick wall when they meet defending teams.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

image.thumb.png.70c00a58000fccb9478a7f47692e2bf4.png
With $7M more in spending we would be towards the top ten payrolls.  I think it’s a very small component of our lack of success.  It would help us to spend a little more, but there are more fundamental problems with our roster and FO.  
Simply spending $7M extra wouldn’t make us a top ten team.  The reactionary moves we’ve made and the wrong type of spending have hurt us more than resistance to spend an additional $7M.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 4/30/2024 at 1:29 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I like it.

Screenshot_20240430_132836_Samsung Internet.jpg

This is great news for the entire league.  Makes 100% sense even for the NBAPA (it is neutral for their members - someone is going to fill everyone of those draft slots so letting teams make more informed decisions isn't anti-player in any way even if it will hurt some players because it will help other players just as much).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This can't be true right????

Hawks have had 2 drafted players avg 20 points in a season since 1991. John Collins and Trae Young. That's it. Only Dennis and Jason Terry came close at 19 points a game in a season.

I can't disagree - they can't get out of their own way! It's always something.  

Hawks have had bad owners decade after decade after decade.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What about Luka?  🤣

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Doug Edwards didn’t do it in 93? Remember the Florida state beast.. 

image.gif.3e3e3fb2146a2cf2e0545b03327c57d2.gif

• Moderators

Hawks have had 2 drafted players avg 20 points in a season since 1991. John Collins and Trae Young. That's it. Only Dennis and Jason Terry came close at 19 points a game in a season.

I have no idea why they stopped at 1991.  It isn't like the guys before that averaged 20 points.  Rumeal Robinson, Roy Marble, Anthony Taylor, etc.  I think this goes back to Kevin Willis in 1984 since he averaged 20 points in a single season for the Hawks.  (Note:  We have drafted and traded Pau Gasol and Luka Doncic.)

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Doug Edwards didn’t do it in 93? Remember the Florida state beast.. 

image.gif.3e3e3fb2146a2cf2e0545b03327c57d2.gif

So many busts and even the ones who weren't busts were more role players ala Plastic Man.  He was a great defender but was never going to average 20+ ppg.

• Sad 2

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, AHF said:

I have no idea why they stopped at 1991.  It isn't like the guys before that averaged 20 points.  Rumeal Robinson, Roy Marble, Anthony Taylor, etc.  I think this goes back to Kevin Willis in 1984 since he averaged 20 points in a single season for the Hawks.  (Note:  We have drafted and traded Pau Gasol and Luka Doncic.)

So many busts and even the ones who weren't busts were more role players ala Plastic Man.  He was a great defender but was never going to average 20+ ppg.

This is very SAD. 😔 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Thinking about this even more....why should I be overly concerned about the picks owed to SAS - we can barely make the right selections with the ones we do have. :blanky:.

Our drafting history is 'something'

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Thinking about this even more....why should I be overly concerned about the picks owed to SAS - we can barely make the right selections with the ones we do have. :blanky:.

Our drafting history is 'something'

In fairness, it has been much better even since BK but especially under TS.  Nobody makes all the right calls but those guys did get some really talented players.  Earlier eras were a bunch of Koncaks and Roshown McLeods.  I think we own the stretch of the worst drafting in NBA history in 1985-2002.  (And no I don't count Pau Gasol as an Atlanta draft pick but feel free to cut it off in 2000 if you do.)

• Sad 1