• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

I agree with you.  It makes sense for them to shop Trae around in either case.  If they are actually considering trading him, you have to see what kind of value you can get back.  If you want to trade Murray, it's helpful to drive a narrative that you'd rather keep him, to make sure you're getting other teams' best offers.  I'm guessing we will keep Trae and get what we get for Murray, but I do genuinely believe there's a possibility we move forward without Trae.

For reasons having to do with the Centennial Yards Entertainment district, there is no chance they trade Trae (I don't care either way) but it's obvious on that front unless he specifically "asks out" like Dame did eventually.

However, I think it's clear they will test DJM's market again and I hope we can change the rest of the roster up.

• Like 1

IMO, the only way Trae is traded is if he asks out.  

Those who are basing their opinion on this on a small sample size of 23 games in March against teams that have nothing to play for, then that's your mistake.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Trying to convince me that Hollinger has sources is ridiculous and reaks of bias pushing by posters here looking for Trae to get traded.

Honestly I don’t care who gets traded but this team sucks big time at defense. But trying to tell me Hollinger is connected and more than just a columnist is fan fiction itself.

I'd say he should be considered more "connected" than some rando other writers.

However ... and it's a big but ... that doesn't mean this article is based on 'sourced' intel of any kind.  Frankly, it smells like he's just sharing his thoughts, not sharing his intel.

Thus the court determines this is drivel like all the rest.

Case closed.  The jury has spoken. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Current Hawks Roster Draft slot:

Dre - 4th

Trae - 5th

OO - 6th

AJ - 15th

Kobe - 16th

Bey - 19th

JJ - 20th

Bogi- 25th

CC - 25th

Windler- 26th

DJ - 29th

Bruno - 34th

Vit - 37th

Gueye - 39th

Lundy - 46th

Wes - undrafted

Garri - undrafted

Trent  - undrafted

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dre - 4th

Trae - 5th

OO - 6th

AJ - 15th

Kobe - 16th

Bey - 19th

JJ - 20th

Bogi- 25th

CC - 25th

Windler- 26th

DJ - 29th

Bruno - 34th

Vit - 37th

Gueye - 39th

Lundy - 46th

Wes - undrafted

Garri - undrafted

Trent  - undrafted

That . . . is depressing as hell.

5 hours ago, KB21 said:
  1. Dejounte Murray has to be traded this offseason.  They cannot run it back with Trae Young and Dejounte Murray at the guard spots.  It is not going to work, and I had doubts that it would work when the deal was made.  They are too small together defensively, and offensively, Murray is not as willing to be a catch and shoot guy as he needs to be.  Trae is by far the better player between the two.  The Hawks are going to have to accept not getting what they feel is proper value for him.  If they can get New Orleans to include Dyson Daniels in a deal for, maybe take CJ McCollum off their hands, then do it.  Daniels is exactly the type of player this team needs right now.  No, he's not as good as Dejounte, but he's a long wing defender that can guard 1-3.  That ability helps the Hawks more than anything Dejounte brings to the table.  You also have to move him to create an opening for Kobe Bufkin to get time next season.  Kobe is a better defender of guards and wings right now than Dejounte is.  He's not Dejounte offensively, but that's not a bad thing with where the Hawks are at.  
  2. DeAndre Hunter cannot be relied upon next season.  Ideally, they can move off his contract with a trade.  It would be a total salary dump though, and I'm not sure another team is going to be willing to take on that deal.  Hunter is their best perimeter defender when it comes to defending bigger wings, so there is a role for him.  However, the Hawks need a guy at this point that can guard guards.  Someone that can defend 1-3 and offers better, more consistent shooting than DeAndre.  
  3. It's time to move on from Clint Capela and commit to Onyeka Okongwu as the starter.  We can do so much more offensively and defensively with Okongwu than we can with Capela.  The Hawks do need to add someone with size and athleticism to play as Okongwu's back up.  
  4. The primary needs this team has going into the offseason is point of attack perimeter defense at the forward spots.  Probably at least two forwards must be added.  
  5. There is no one in this draft who will play meaningful minutes on a good team this season, so if you are going into the draft thinking you are going to address a need, you are doing it wrong.  

You think OO can be relied upon?

31 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yes

He's only played over 55 games once in 4 years.. 

And he regressed under Quin.

No thanks to OO as our starting Center..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, terrell said:

He's only played over 55 games once in 4 years.. 

And he regressed under Quin.

No thanks to OO as our starting Center..

I also have withdrawn my support for OO as a starting center for us. I know Quin wants a big guy there and OO ain't that guy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, KB21 said:

OO averaged 16.1 PPG and 8.5 RPG as a starter this year on a 66.3% FG and 45% 3P.  TS% was 72.3 on 15.2 USG.  

He’s fully capable - agree. But availability is the best ability. If we can use him to upgrade our roster I’m all for it. Let someone else take the injury risk.

Which is also why I’m fully opposed to going after B Ingram. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dre - 4th

Trae - 5th

OO - 6th

AJ - 15th

Kobe - 16th

Bey - 19th

JJ - 20th

Bogi- 25th

CC - 25th

Windler- 26th

DJ - 29th

Bruno - 34th

Vit - 37th

Gueye - 39th

Lundy - 46th

Wes - undrafted

Garri - undrafted

Trent  - undrafted

So highest drafted is 7th or 8th best player on team?  No Bueno.

• Sad 4

34 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

So highest drafted is 7th or 8th best player on team?  No Bueno.

The folks clamoring for us to tank for higher picks need to take notice.  Draft-wise, we're the proverbial 10 year-old with a Lamborghini.  Don't know what TF to do with it anyways.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm torn on OO.  Yes he's shown he can be a starter but his availability is more than questionable.

If he's our starter, the backups cannot be Capela or Bruno.  And the other wing cannot be Hunter.  And the 2 cannot be Murray.  Positional size just doesn't work, imho.

I think he'll be a good NBA player for a long time, but I still see him more like a Taj Gibson type.  Slightly better.

The fact that he never supplanted capela ... throughout his whole rookie deal ... is problematic, so say the least. 

I championed the "Start OO over Clint" campaign this past season.  And it's clear Quin had other ideas and didn't feel the way I did.  Looking back on it, I was probably something less than right on that issue.  As of now, I'm not necessarily seeking to trade OO, but I'm certainly open to it if the deal arises. I just don't believe he's what Quin is looking for at the 5.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1