• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

There are good to great players that can be found in every draft who aren’t readily apparent.  I don’t mind drafting for 2-3 years down the road in this draft.  

This is correct on paper.  In reality though, we cannot currently afford to draft for 2-3 years down the road.

It's like putting money in a CD instead of getting your house out of foreclosure.  I need us to secure our house then worry about the 'extra' stuff, like drafting for development, later.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This is correct on paper.  In reality though, we cannot currently afford to draft for 2-3 years down the road.

It's like putting money in a CD instead of getting your house out of foreclosure.  I need us to secure our house then worry about the 'extra' stuff, like drafting for development, later.

I have my doubts that the 10th pick can be traded for a veteran who will have enough of an impact to make much of a difference.  

Could it be packaged with DeAndre Hunter?   Maybe, but Hunter feels like he’s going to be a John Collins type salary dump.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I have my doubts that the 10th pick can be traded for a veteran who will have enough of an impact to make much of a difference.  

Could it be packaged with DeAndre Hunter?   Maybe, but Hunter feels like he’s going to be a John Collins type salary dump.  

Definitely has to be packaged with player or players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

This draft is bad bad

Yeah but the others are right, a good player is found in every draft.  My beef is that player won't be impactful on day 1, which is what we need. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah but the others are right, a good player is found in every draft.  My beef is that player won't be impactful on day 1, which is what we need. 

Our most valuable trade asset that might be available is OO.  It better be a damn good return if you package him and the 10th pick.  

33 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Definitely has to be packaged with player or players.

I’ll package 📦 

DJ

Cap

Hunter

AJ

OO (depending on the return; still think he’s got it in him, not sure what the delay is about).

Retooling..

-Outsiders 

• Like 1

I guess I’m a little jaded considering the crap offers we got at the trade deadline for Murray.  

OO effectively expanded his range this year.  He shot 53% from 20-24 feet.  Did you also know that he lead all centers in the NBA in FG% within 3 feet of the rim?   He was at 75.5%.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

General question:

Why is it that when it’s time to flip our players we usually get MORE hosed than the average franchise..

it’s like around the league you hear..

Well Cam Reddish doesn’t have value..

John Collins value around the league isn’t that high…

Teams around the league don’t value … 

Hunter..

The list goes on and on..

But if a different franchise have say like a Jerome James from the Sonics back in the day… wow he is looked at as a huge addition ➕ in the trade market. Huh? 🤨 

I mean I get it as far as $ to ability but why aren’t our players valued high for the last 40 years. None. 

We gave up Gasol for Shareef but what did we unload Shareef for? 

I dunno it just seems like our players are hosed as well as our team around the league.

It’s bull$hit. It’s like racism in a way. I dunno I’m losin it take over @kg01 before AHF spanks me again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I guess I’m a little jaded considering the crap offers we got at the trade deadline for Murray.  

Conspiracy theory: If a player is good, and on the table for a trade, let’s devalue him as a trade asset. {all 29 other GM’s applaud 👏}…

J Collins

Murray

now..

Cap (dude leads or led the league in rebounding the last 💯 years ok, how does that ish not have value?)

Hunter (premier defender right @NBASupes how come no real value around the league? 

Its BS I tell ya! :angry2:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Conspiracy theory: If a player is good, and on the table for a trade, let’s devalue him as a trade asset. {all 29 other GM’s applaud 👏}…

J Collins

Murray

now..

Cap (dude leads or led the league in rebounding the last 💯 years ok, how does that ish not have value?)

Hunter (premier defender right @NBASupes how come no real value around the league? 

Hunter has value but his contract hurts his trade value. He has played better but the way salaries are expected to go down for the middle class, Hunter contracts is on the high end for sure. 

Him and CC are likely here unless we give them away and CC requires assets so we would have to give him away and give assets as well which we don't want to do. 

Pretty much our good contracts, Murray and OO are the guys who are being shopped as they have value to others and are correctly priced. 

Even Trae trade value has significantly dropped but the Hawks don't care about his our franchise player and he's not on the market.

Griffin being shopped too but I don't know what his market is.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

J Collins

Murray

now..

Except anybody watching Hunter will have to bank on his getting better and more consistent. You know the same thing we've all wanted 😂😂.  Ain't No team drinking that kool-aid...

IMG_0522.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

General question:

Why is it that when it’s time to flip our players we usually get MORE hosed than the average franchise..

it’s like around the league you hear..

Well Cam Reddish doesn’t have value..

John Collins value around the league isn’t that high…

Teams around the league don’t value … 

Hunter..

The list goes on and on..

But if a different franchise have say like a Jerome James from the Sonics back in the day… wow he is looked at as a huge addition ➕ in the trade market. Huh? 🤨 

I mean I get it as far as $ to ability but why aren’t our players valued high for the last 40 years. None. 

We gave up Gasol for Shareef but what did we unload Shareef for? 

I dunno it just seems like our players are hosed as well as our team around the league.

It’s bull$hit. It’s like racism in a way. I dunno I’m losin it take over @kg01 before AHF spanks me again.

We keep making the same mistakes in how we approach trades: too many times it always revolves around us trying to 'save money'. It's the desperation with which we approach it. You put that out there teams have no incentive to offer their best value. You also can't have a guy on the trade market for 3 straight years and keep pulling him. 

Sometimes it's better to accept 80 cents on the dollars vs holding out and you end up getting 10 cents.

We got a 1st for Cam which we used in the DJ trade.

We got a 1st for Huerter which we are still waiting to contribute on the court going now on 3 years. (We also got a TPE from the trade savings but I don't remember if we used it).

We got a TPE for JC which we are still waiting to contribute on the court. It expires June 29th.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We keep making the same mistakes in how we approach trades: too many times it always revolves around us trying to 'save money'. It's the desperation with which we approach it. You put that out there teams have no incentive to offer their best value. You also can't have a guy on the trade market for 3 straight years and keep pulling him. 

Sometimes it's better to accept 80 cents on the dollars vs holding out and you end up getting 10 cents.

We got a 1st for Cam which we used in the DJ trade.

We got a 1st for Huerter which we are still waiting to contribute on the court going now on 3 years. (We also got a TPE from the trade savings but I don't remember if we used it).

We got a TPE for JC which we are still waiting to contribute on the court. It expires June 29th.

Sigh.  That's is all. 

I keep going back to him, but what this team needs more than anything are POA perimeter defense and secondary rim protection.  There is one player in this draft who is the best in this draft at both.  

Ryan Dunn

20 hours ago, KB21 said:

I keep going back to him, but what this team needs more than anything are POA perimeter defense and secondary rim protection.  There is one player in this draft who is the best in this draft at both.  

Ryan Dunn

I mostly agree with your targets in this draft. My issue is that a lot of what we need can be had around pick #20. Ideally there is a trade partner eyeing someone who falls to #10 (a guard we don't need, for example) to move back and pick up a future asset. 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, warcore said:

I mostly agree with your targets in this draft. My issue is that a lot of what we need can be had around pick #20. Ideally there is a trade partner eyeing someone who falls to #10 (a guard we don't need, for example) to move back and pick up a future asset. 

Dunn I've seen a lot in the second round and definitely never higher than the 20's.  

ESPN's latest mock has Cody Williams going to Atlanta at 10 which would I'd be totally good with.

2024 NBA mock draft -- Team analysis for all 30 first-round picks - ESPN

image.png

Among other players we've talked about they have:

Holland #13

Edey #15

Filipowski #16

Missi #22

Ware #30

Dunn #31

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 5:23 PM, Spud2nique said:

What about our x player son at #10?

I like shooters. And he plays D. 

IMG_4420.png

I can’t be mad at this pick, but we really don’t need a guard from this draft. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

10. Atlanta Hawks: Matas Buzelis

nf8zw9wefh7tp2fvykiw.jpg
Louis Grasse/NBAE via Getty Images

Previous Mock Draft Spot: No. 10

Team: G League Ignite

Position: SF

Size: 6'8", 209 lbs

Age/Year: 19

Nationality: American/Lithuanian

Pro Comparison: Hedo Türkoğlu

Matas Buzelis showcased enough scoring versatility, athleticism and defensive playmaking to maintain a spot in this year's lottery discussion. Inconsistency and disappointing three-point shooting numbers have also affected scouts' confidence.

Buzelis should have a legitimate opportunity to improve his stock during workouts, where he can help ease concerns over a 26.1 three-point percentage that everyone expected to be significantly higher out of Sunrise Christian Academy.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10116891-2024-nba-mock-draft-2-round-predictions-with-lottery-odds-set

• Like 2