• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Why the Warriors, Bulls, Hawks and Kings face tough choices after Play-In Tournament exits - The Athletic

Some snippets:

• John says the Hawks could return all 12 players with contracts for next season, sign Vit to a NBA deal, and fill out the rest of the team with the likely 10th pick and stay a hair under the luxury tax.
  • He also says that league handicappers, whatever that means, believe that Young is more likely to be moved than Murray.
  • He says that trading young for multiple smaller deals allows them to push themselves back from the tax line and also sets them up to give Jalen Johnson a big extension.
  • John Collins trade exception expires June 26th, but he says Atlanta could use this exception to generate one of similar size in a Young deal.

I think he significantly undersells the continued improvement of Jalen and Onyeka.  

Another source that thinks were more likely to trade Trae.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Why the Warriors, Bulls, Hawks and Kings face tough choices after Play-In Tournament exits - The Athletic

Some snippets:

• John says the Hawks could return all 12 players with contracts for next season, sign Vit to a NBA deal, and fill out the rest of the team with the likely 10th pick and stay a hair under the luxury tax.
  • He also says that league handicappers, whatever that means, believe that Young is more likely to be moved than Murray.
  • He says that trading young for multiple smaller deals allows them to push themselves back from the tax line and also sets them up to give Jalen Johnson a big extension.
  • John Collins trade exception expires June 26th, but he says Atlanta could use this exception to generate one of similar size in a Young deal.

I think he significantly undersells the continued improvement of Jalen and Onyeka.  

He has been outrageously wrong on many things for many years. 

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

John Hollinger is not a source. He is as much of a source as Jeff Schulz was. He was and always will be a columnist.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

John Hollinger is not a source. He is as much of a source as Jeff Schulz was. He was and always will be a columnist.

He has sources lol he's not writing fan fic

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

He has sources lol he's not writing fan fic

Yeah.  He was an executive for the Grizzlies at one time, so this isn't just a Jeff Shultz type of writer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rumor: Chris Paul could end up with Spurs this summer - NBC Sports

One other note. Spurs fans have been buzzing about the team getting in the mix for a Trae Young trade this summer, as he is the most acclaimed point guard likely to be available. League sources have told NBC Sports not to bet on that happening, as San Antonio doesn’t see Young as a fit with Wembanyama going forward. The Spurs might be more interested in the Hawks’ Dejounte Murray if he is available.

This feels like posturing to me, because Wemby may be the best overall fit ever with Trae Young.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I don't know that Hollinger is closely connected to any specific NBA front offices (including ours) but he is definitely more than Bill Simmons or some other columnist given his prior experience as a GM.  I don't think he left with a ton of respect from his peers after his run as GM and don't view him as a gospel source on anything but I definitely note what he said.  In fairness, what he said was not giving his own opinion but sharing the opinion of one or more "league handicappers" which invites a bit of interpretation given that this is a strange and vague term.  But if you are inclined to think that Hawks ownership and front office personnel are eager to unload Trae, this is one more piece of support for that.  I still have a hard time thinking that this is real given Trae's impact on ticket sales.

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

This feels like posturing to me, because Wemby may be the best overall fit ever with Trae Young.  

The best reason for me to think that SA doesn't want Young is the way that Pops treated him a few years ago.  He seemed to blame Young at least in part for LP getting fired (and never seemed to acknowledge some really big screw ups from LP).  Obviously, LP bad mouthed Young to Pops as well.  So while I think Wemby would post amazing numbers playing with Young, I'm not convinced that Pops is eager to bring Trae into the Spurs organization.

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Maybe.  I feel like there is a strong undercurrent of the media really pushing for Young to land in LA though.  

Agree.  I think that is obvious.  Add that GMs love to plant rumors to try to lower the price for players they want to acquire.  A common one is that the player wants out or the team is looking to shop them (which is sometimes true and sometimes not true).  It is a ripe environment for a team that needs to make changes to start seeing rumors floating about guys getting moved.  

The Knicks used to be notorious for spreading rumors about players that wanted to leave their teams and come play there.  LA is probably the leader for that now.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, KB21 said:

As this is worded, it has to be posturing.  There is no better fit with Wemby than Trae Young... I could see the Spurs FO not wanting Trae for other reasons as he's not your typical Spur culture type of player, but to say they see DJ as a fit more than Trae is wild.

• Thanks 1

Trying to convince me that Hollinger has sources is ridiculous and reaks of bias pushing by posters here looking for Trae to get traded.

Honestly I don’t care who gets traded but this team sucks big time at defense. But trying to tell me Hollinger is connected and more than just a columnist is fan fiction itself.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

Trying to convince me that Hollinger has sources is ridiculous and reaks of bias pushing by posters here looking for Trae to get traded.

Honestly I don’t care who gets traded but this team sucks big time at defense. But trying to tell me Hollinger is connected and more than just a columnist is fan fiction itself.

He sucks 🏀’s I agree.. not even basketballs just balls. I’ve said enuff. :mellow:

Wait Hollinger the bum wit the Grizz right.. the stat nerd 🤓? Oh god.

Sack chaser

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

You have never seen me push for Trae to be traded.  

I’m really sour on NBA writers and so called sources after the last few years. I can’t believe any of that trash anymore

the process of scenario creation and rinse and repeat is continuous trash cycling.

These so called sources will have you spinning in 5000 directions before the actual real truth is put out by Woj

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Why would I push for Trae to get traded lol. I'm simply looking at the evidence that keeps coming in... I don't have strong feelings one way or the other with a slight preference to keep Trae.

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't know that Hollinger is closely connected to any specific NBA front offices (including ours) but he is definitely more than Bill Simmons or some other columnist given his prior experience as a GM.  I don't think he left with a ton of respect from his peers after his run as GM and don't view him as a gospel source on anything but I definitely note what he said.  In fairness, what he said was not giving his own opinion but sharing the opinion of one or more "league handicappers" which invites a bit of interpretation given that this is a strange and vague term.  But if you are inclined to think that Hawks ownership and front office personnel are eager to unload Trae, this is one more piece of support for that.  I still have a hard time thinking that this is real given Trae's impact on ticket sales.

The best reason for me to think that SA doesn't want Young is the way that Pops treated him a few years ago.  He seemed to blame Young at least in part for LP getting fired (and never seemed to acknowledge some really big screw ups from LP).  Obviously, LP bad mouthed Young to Pops as well.  So while I think Wemby would post amazing numbers playing with Young, I'm not convinced that Pops is eager to bring Trae into the Spurs organization.

Not a pops fan.   Overrated

57 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

To be clear, Hollinger himself is not saying to trade Trae, he is passing along what he has "heard".  Whether what he has heard is credible is obviously open for debate.

Personally, I find it is unlikely they trade Trae.  Given that, I hope they move Murray because to me running it back makes no sense at all unless the goal is to be mediocre.  

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Some snippets:

I'm thinking the "league handicappers" he references are basing their opinions on the fact that they believe the Hawks will stay under the tax line at all costs and they figure the best way forward is to trade away the biggest contract?  It doesn't say that they believe the Hawks would rather trade Trae than Murray.  Just that he's more likely to be moved.  And it goes on to talk almost exclusively about the differences in contract and what they could get with $40M. 

IOW, it reads like a "Hawks are cheap so the logical move is to trade away the high priced player." 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Packfill said:

To be clear, Hollinger himself is not saying to trade Trae, he is passing along what he has "heard".  Whether what he has heard is credible is obviously open for debate.

Personally, I find it is unlikely they trade Trae.  Given that, I hope they move Murray because to me running it back makes no sense at all unless the goal is to be mediocre.  

I agree with you.  It makes sense for them to shop Trae around in either case.  If they are actually considering trading him, you have to see what kind of value you can get back.  If you want to trade Murray, it's helpful to drive a narrative that you'd rather keep him, to make sure you're getting other teams' best offers.  I'm guessing we will keep Trae and get what we get for Murray, but I do genuinely believe there's a possibility we move forward without Trae.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

I agree with you.  It makes sense for them to shop Trae around in either case.  If they are actually considering trading him, you have to see what kind of value you can get back.  If you want to trade Murray, it's helpful to drive a narrative that you'd rather keep him, to make sure you're getting other teams' best offers.  I'm guessing we will keep Trae and get what we get for Murray, but I do genuinely believe there's a possibility we move forward without Trae.

I would think they shopped him at the deadline to get some type of value.   I think some teams around the league wouldn't mind having Trae but are not going to give a lot to get him.