• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

and then it's so inconsistent.  Hunter never in a million years would have gotten away with this "defense" from whoever this dude is.  And not only that people act like it was some great play.  it's like 3 fouls to get the ball. 

There was a foul call on DeAndre last night that was beyond ridiculous.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

and then it's so inconsistent.  Hunter never in a million years would have gotten away with this "defense" from whoever this dude is.  And not only that people act like it was some great play.  it's like 3 fouls to get the ball. 

The NBA ought to be ashamed of themselves.  😂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KB21 said:

There was a foul call on DeAndre last night that was beyond ridiculous.

Which begs the statement and the question:  Does it matter who the Hawks draft or get in free agency if that player,  like Hunter, isn't allowed to play defense?  I've been sitting on that statement and question for a while but I'm soo tired of the NBA at this point that I wanted to put it out there.  The Hawks actually played a game where the other team scored 157 points. The Bulls scored 131 points in what was essentially a playoff game.  That doesn't happen unless the rules and officiating is allowing it.  The NBA cried about the high scoring allstar game.  Well, the players were playing like they normally play.  They wanted scoring and thats what they got.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Which begs the statement and the question:  Does it matter who the Hawks draft or get in free agency if that player,  like Hunter, isn't allowed to play defense?  I've been sitting on that statement and question for a while but I'm soo tired of the NBA at this point that I wanted to put it out there.  The Hawks actually played a game where the other team scored 157 points. The Bulls scored 131 points in what was essentially a playoff game.  That doesn't happen unless the rules and officiating is allowing it.  The NBA cried about the high scoring allstar game.  Well, the players were playing like they normally play.  They wanted scoring and thats what they got.

We've talked ad nauseum about the bad whistle Hunter gets in most games when compared to other 'defenders'.  If he is allowed to be as half as physical as them, we and he would be better for it.

• Like 1

So, let's look at this draft in tiers.  By tiers, I mean who is likely not going to be available, who could be available, and who is likely going to be available.  

Who won't be there:

• Alexander Sarr
  • Zaccharie Rissacher
  • Reed Sheppard

I think these are the three that there is absolutely no chance they make it to 10.  They are also potentially the three guys to choose from if that 14% chance of getting into the top 4 picks cashes in.  

Who could be there but likely won't be there:

• Donovan Clingan
  • Matas Buzelis
  • Nikola Topic
  • Rob Dillingham

I think there is a slim chance one of these could drop to the 10th pick.  Clingan is the most unlikely, and I almost considered him in the first group.  I'm not convinced on Clingan yet, but I can see the upside.  I could also potentially see the Hawks take him #1 overall if they were to land that pick.  

One of these players will likely be there at 10:

• Cody Williams
  • Ron Holland
  • Stephon Castle
  • Dalton Knecht
  • Jakobe Walter

My guess is, this is the group that Atlanta will ultimately choose from with the 10th pick.  My favorite of this group is Castle, but many will turn their noses up at drafting a guy who projects as a guard even though he can defend on the wing.  Dalton Knecht offers the most potential immediate impact, but there are enough defensive question marks for me to wonder how he will fit.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just an FYI...Hawks can fall to as low as #12 in the lottery...worse case scenario.

I think they would still be looking at the same pool of players if that happened.  Maybe you see them add Yves Missi and Kel'el Ware if they drop to 12.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, warcore said:

because last time we screwed it up

We've never had a player put on a jersey who was a #1 pick.  But Cleveland got more #1 picks after drafting Anthony Bennett so I don't think that is how it works.  (If I count correctly, they've gotten 5 #1 overall picks over the last 30 years.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

We've never had a player put on a jersey who was a #1 pick.  But Cleveland got more #1 picks after drafting Anthony Bennett so I don't think that is how it works.  (If I count correctly, they've gotten 5 #1 overall picks over the last 30 years.)

can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you actually believe I think that's how it works. If the latter is the case, I'm insulted AH. 

• Haha 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, warcore said:

can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you actually believe I think that's how it works. If the latter is the case, I'm insulted AH. 

I know you don't think that is how it works.  I just like to give **** to Cleveland for the cavalcade of #1 picks they've somehow been gifted over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Average of the draft rankings on ESPN, The Ringer and NBADraft.net.......

1 Alex Sarr
2 Zaccharie Risacher
3 Dalton Knecht
4 Matas Buzelis
5 Reed Sheppard
6 Robert Dillingham
7 Stephon Castle
8 Cody Williams
9 Donovan Clingan
10 Nikola Topic
11 Ja'Kobe Walter
12 Ron Holland