• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I'll rather trade the pick 

you have no pick to trade if you're in the process of being eliminated from the playoffs.  Sounds like you prefer being on the treadmill than planning for a title. 

"Draft Clingan so we will at least be in the playoffs next year"

That means nothing to a lot of us. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, warcore said:

you have no pick to trade if you're in the process of being eliminated from the playoffs.  Sounds like you prefer being on the treadmill than planning for a title. 

"Draft Clingan so we will at least be in the playoffs next year"

That means nothing to a lot of us. 

I'll rather tank honestly if we can't be a constant winner. 

36 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

For a guy who's 7'1, that handle and fluidity look like a solid foundation to work for his offense imo.

He does move awfully well for a 7-footer.  

How is his work ethic? Grit?

Any evidence of his competitiveness/desire to win? 

How respectable of a shooter can he reasonably become?  Didn’t Kawhi improve rather drastically once in the NBA?

How can his body/frame change to improve explosiveness but not compromise agility and speed? 

• Like 1

DJ is probably a goner So........

Murray to Pelicans for Jones or Murphy and Dyson Daniels...

Trae/Daniels/Jones/JJ/Sarr or Clingan

Bufkin/Bogi/Dre/Gueye/OO

Trade Capela for more depth...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dejay said:

And you're surprised by what exactly? All of us have some sort of issue to be fans of this franchise for so long...

This franchise is always a personality disorder, but these past couple years have been a sinister brand of rising and falling actions.  Like if you're child became a celebrity and a few months later started a phase of multiple rehabs while still pursuing their next big acting job.  

• Haha 2

SN: taking some time to look at a few more draft prospects and while there may not be a clear cut superstar, I think there are a lot of players who would thrive with a guy like Trae who would take the pressure off of them to be immediate shot creators. There also aren’t many high end, ready made, college stars, like Edwards a couple years ago who you are comfortable projecting. That said the league is trending back toward big men 

The strength of this draft are the big men, (arguably our greatest need). I’d let them battle in our in workouts to see who comes out on top. 

Sarr is a potential do it all big. Switchable POA defender who profiles as the next great stretch 5. Big question make for me is his motor and work ethic. But the kid has tools in spades so if he has the desire to be the best, I would feel comfortable projecting him closer to his ceiling. 

Clingan/Edey have already been discussed as paint protectors, low post scorers. Steady guys, may not be anything special but high floor players as well. 

Behind them is a group of guys like Sheppard,Holland and Castle (dog POA defenders who scare the shit out of you if their game doesn’t round out a la Michael Kidd Gilcrest) and shooters like Knecht/ Risacher (who looks like a Peja Stojakovic clone to me) who I’d really like lower in the top ten. 

That said, the league is tending back towards big men (Embiid, Jokic, Wemby, JJJ, KAT, Gobert, etc) so if you can get a guy to battle with them, you take him in my mind. The good news is our FO was ahead of the curve on Giannis a few years ago and we have a decent track record on finding mid round gems so let’s hope that translates.

Edited by JustSomeGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JustSomeGuy said:

I’m sold. Plus I heard Clingan is already had foot/injury issues?

For now I believe our FO will select him, and I'm sold that he's the right pick.  Waiting for actual news to contradict that is our direction.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, txsting said:

First thought is Clingan is more ready and proven.  These euros scare me

My second thought after more reflection is that Sarr is too much of a unicorn and is too valuable to pass on.  Defensive minded, paint-bound bigs can always be found, they aren't as rare as Sarr.  Even though Sarr could well bust, i don't see how the Hawks can do anything else.  Clingan is safe and a known good, but he's probably not going to be better than say Valunciunas.  Sarr has potential to be significantly more.

• Like 3