• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin is truly playing badly lately

Sothron

• Premium Member

I make this topic not to start the usual (and deserved) round of Marvin bashing to point out that even for Marvin he's playing horrible over the last few games. He has not even attempted a single free throw in the last three games. Not ONE.

We need him to do more, much more, than what he has been doing lately. Over the last few games he has become an absolute ghost on offense and frankly is not showing up much on the defensive end as well. Is he nursing some kind of injury? Is he going into a shell because of Crawford?

This coaching staff needs to find whatever it is and push buttons to get him going again. We can't win and expect to win in the playoffs if our offense is essentially Joe Johnson and Crawford each playing iso games with Smoove and Horford fighting for put backs or fast break points as big men.

We can't win with Marvin scoring 4-6 points a game. I don't know why we haven't tried moving JJ up to SF or Smoove down to PF.

Personally, I think we should try starting Craw and moving JJ to the SF and bringing Marvin off the bench. Maybe that will wake him up?

He definitley doesn't deserve to be starting right now.

I don't know what's going on either but I'd have to think it's an injury because he's never been a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd option on offense for us so it's not like much has changed with Crawford, especially since Bibby is the one who has taken a back seat to Crawford for the most part and I can't see that as a reason for Marvin to have regressed so dramatically. I'm definitely thinking that we need to see what we can do about moving him and Bibby though as we're suffering big time from the lack of production from those two guys. It would hurt to give up Marvin because I still believe he's capable of a lot more than he is currently providing but at some point we've got to consider making a move for the better of the team and it might end up better for Marvin as well. I'd be nervous to move Bibby but unless he would be comfortable coming off the bench for us I'm not sure what else we can do but he's definitely hurting us as a starter right now.

• Premium Member

I don't know what's going on either but I'd have to think it's an injury because he's never been a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd option on offense for us so it's not like much has changed with Crawford, especially since Bibby is the one who has taken a back seat to Crawford for the most part and I can't see that as a reason for Marvin to have regressed so dramatically. I'm definitely thinking that we need to see what we can do about moving him and Bibby though as we're suffering big time from the lack of production from those two guys. It would hurt to give up Marvin because I still believe he's capable of a lot more than he is currently providing but at some point we've got to consider making a move for the better of the team and it might end up better for Marvin as well. I'd be nervous to move Bibby but unless he would be comfortable coming off the bench for us I'm not sure what else we can do but he's definitely hurting us as a starter right now.

I'd hate to see either of these guys go because they are good guys but it looks like it's time to make a move. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Sund was trying to work out a deal involving one or both of these guys. Like i said earlier, I'd hate to see either one of them go but we have a very real chance of getting to the Eastern Conference Finals( and beyond ) this season if they can get it together production wise. All I want to see is Marv and Bibby produce like they did last season. If they can't do that, then it's time to make a move. There are too many rumored "fire sales" going on (Detroit, Washington, etc.) to hold on to players purely out of loyalty.

Edited by hawkman

:write a letter:

Marvin Williams has become unplugged. No doubt about that.

Did you ever try to use an electric appliance and it just wouldn't work, no matter what?

Then, to make yourself really mad, you find out that it's become unplugged. Maybe

someone stepped on the cord. Maybe someone bumped the plug. It's still attatched

to the outlet, but it's not firmly in place and it's not working - - It's unplugged.

Someone needs to check the wiring. MW may need a strong talking to. He may need

some good, quiet advice. He may need a foot planted firmly in his donkey.

Someone plug him in. Right now, he ain't working.

:help wanted3:

Bibby's production last night came too late. The team did nothing with that 3rd period where his production could have been key. When you lack depth like the Hawks do you can't afford to have TWO unproductive starters. The pressure is on Joe, Josh, Al and Jamal to all perform every night or the team will lose. There were also breakdowns on the defensive end. But the fact is that Bibby is needed only because of the poor system the Hawks have in place. Right now, he is only slightly better than Anthony Johnson was for us and he is no longer better than Tyronne Lue was. He hurts the team on both ends of the floor now because NOTHING good about his game can be expected nightly. Bibby, Marvin and Woody ALL need to go and some help at center is needed. If all of these guys stay and have huge roles on this team, I promise that this team will not get out of the 2nd round. This team doesn't win because of Woody.... They never won games because of Woody, and they will never win games because of Woody. They win because of athletic ability and when they meet teams that are prepared to meet them on that part of the game they will have problems. Just as they did last night.

We will see more younger and athletic teams in the league and they will surpass this team quickly if this team stays the way that it currently is. This team is going to age quickly the way it currently is. Long term, you need more than athletic ability to continue winning and getting better. People will say that Marvin is only what... 24? Can you really say that he plays like a 24 year old? No, he plays like an average SF that is about 30 years old. He is Antwan Jamison with about half the talent. If the Hawks can get right of him they should.

• Premium Member

:write a letter:

Marvin Williams has become unplugged. No doubt about that.

Did you ever try to use an electric appliance and it just wouldn't work, no matter what?

Then, to make yourself really mad, you find out that it's become unplugged. Maybe

someone stepped on the cord. Maybe someone bumped the plug. It's still attatched

to the outlet, but it's not firmly in place and it's not working - - It's unplugged.

Someone needs to check the wiring. MW may need a strong talking to. He may need

some good, quiet advice. He may need a foot planted firmly in his donkey.

Someone plug him in. Right now, he ain't working.

:help wanted3:

LOL. This was hilarious.

• Premium Member

I don't know what can be done - but I do know it's more than just one thing in particular. Marvin gets looks and when the ball swings, he does touch it. I doubt there are any plays run for him though (just like with Horf and Smoove and Chill when he was here). We need to move the ball more, he needs to attack the basket more, he needs to make that shot, he needs to be more aggressive, etc., etc., etc...

But it's out there. Marvin needs to step up.

Double double tonight and he barely played in the second half. Weird that we took out our best rebounder of the night against a team rebounding everything in site. Oh well, at least Bibby was out there to guard the 3 point line.

I make this topic not to start the usual (and deserved) round of Marvin bashing to point out that even for Marvin he's playing horrible over the last few games. He has not even attempted a single free throw in the last three games. Not ONE.

We need him to do more, much more, than what he has been doing lately. Over the last few games he has become an absolute ghost on offense and frankly is not showing up much on the defensive end as well. Is he nursing some kind of injury? Is he going into a shell because of Crawford?

This coaching staff needs to find whatever it is and push buttons to get him going again. We can't win and expect to win in the playoffs if our offense is essentially Joe Johnson and Crawford each playing iso games with Smoove and Horford fighting for put backs or fast break points as big men.

I think Marvin is playing fine. He plays his role..doesnt try to do too much excepts when he gets it going. He brings it on D and does the little things. I dont think Marvin should be traded and I dont think he's playing that bad. I think people look for an excuse when we lose and they blame Marvin because he didnt get 20 points

I think Marvin is playing fine. He plays his role..doesnt try to do too much excepts when he gets it going. He brings it on D and does the little things. I dont think Marvin should be traded and I dont think he's playing that bad. I think people look for an excuse when we lose and they blame Marvin because he didnt get 20 points

You may be right...at least partially...but he shouldn't be starting. We habitually start games slow.

I'm telling you if we start Crawford at SG and move Joe to SF bringing Marvin off the bench he would average at least 15pts a game guaranteed. He NEVER gets the ball with Joe dribbling all over the place playing one and one on the perimeter and if it goes inside it's Smoove or Horford. I would guarantee Marvin would be a hell of lot more aggressive coming off the bench because he would have to be the guy to score.

If Woodson wasn't Woodson he would make it a point to get Marvin's hands on the ball. Marvin isn't a bad basketball player, he has the skills to be a very solid player, he's just not on a good team for someone who needs to be pushed. It took Smith 5 years just to stop shooting 3's.

• Like 1