• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yo Daddy Wears Mustard Slacks. And a Pea Coat.

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Lang Greene Lang Whitaker writes for GQ and conducted a predictably softball Q&A with Employee #5.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2013/02/atlantas-all-star-in-absentia-a-gqa-with-josh-smith.html

(snippet...)

So when you said last week that you feel like you're worth a maximum contract, that's like a businessman setting his value as high as he can.
The question was asked to me, if I felt like I was that, and I just gave an honest answer. I think if you don't know the value of yourself, who will?

Isn't it also relative? Like, James Harden was not a max player in Oklahoma City, but he is in Houston. So it also depends on opportunity and timing.
That's a perfect assessment. People probably didn't feel like he was a certain type of player, and he got the opportunity to seize the moment in Houston, and look what he's doing for their ballclub. He's playing outstanding, and a lot of people probably didn't think he was going to be able to do what he's doing, making the impact he's making.

Do you think people give you enough credit for how seriously you approach basketball?
No, I don't think so. I love basketball with a passion. It is my dream job. Basketball is all I do every day--I play basketball, I watch sports, watch basketball. When I'm at home sitting around I watch other teams play, every night. That's just me. I have an extremely hard work ethic in the summertime. People don't know what I do in the summertime because it's not magnified--I'm not filming myself and putting it on social networks or anything like that. I just go out there when the season starts, ready to go.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 2

I focused on him saying how blessed he was to play for the same organization for 9 years. Then about having a family and being rooted. I believe he values those things. IE....to go elsewhere he'd want the whole package because of what he has in Atlanta.

Atlanta can sign him in the offseason for 15-16 per for 5 years...count on it. As rules stand now he will be a 9 year player when he signs his new deal. Players in years 7-9 (someone get Hawksfanatic to check my math) can be paid 16.35 million the first year with 7.5% pay raises annually for the next 4 years if a team holds his bird rights or 16.35 million with 4.5% raises annually for 3 years if they don't. So the max math on Josh should be (in millions).

Hawks:

total 101.08 (avg 20.22 mil per season) The math is different than what you might have heard in the news because for a 10 year vet the max is 35% of the salary cap while for a 7-9 year vet it is 30% of the salary cap.

Other team:

Total 74.44 (average for 4 seasons 18.61). Again the math is different. 7-9 year players can be paid 30% with 4.5% annual raises to other team's free agents.

So the difference in Salary between Josh (max Hawks) and Josh (max other team) is a contract value of 26.64 million.

We now have 2 things to figure out. If Josh sign with another team, how much would he get paid four years from now when either his skill set has improved or his athleticism has declined. 4 years is a long time and injuries in the NBA happen. One good injury and Josh will not see 1 dime of that 26.64 million. Additionally, even if healthy, if Josh signs with another team his 2017-2018 contract will be determined by that team based on his value at the time. Or as a lifetime Hawk Josh's 2018-2019 value would be set by Atlanta. Not only does remaining a Hawk increase his short term value but it also increases his final contract value. The only thing being moved to another team via trade or FA that enhances Josh's value better is if he's moved to a market where his advertising value increases (ie NY, LA, Chicago).

So consider this salary if he stays in Atlanta compared to signing elsewhere.

Year1 - 15

Year2 - 16.18

Year3 - 17.33

Year4 - 18.63

Year5 - 20.03

Total - 87.17 (17.343 annuall) Although this is 1.5 million less annually than a max contract with a bidding team, it is still 13 million dollars more total. Given Smith will have no idea what he would command in 2017, it is a very fair contract. Honestly 16 million flat per is still more guaranteed money than if he went to say - Charlotte.

Now consider the benefits for Josh in taking slightly less money. The Hawks have less than 22 million committed in Salary next year. The cap number for signing players is based off of 2013 salaries. So if Josh took the aforementioned deal, Dwight could be signed for the max (17.4) year one with a total cap impact of 32.4 million (or a total cap number of 52 million based on hard data). The Hawks could have Teague/Smith/Horford/Howard/Jenkins/Williams/Johnson all under contract and still technically be under the cap with 2 1st round draft pics incoming. However, Josh pushing for the max with another team may not put him in a winning situation and therefore severely hurt his marketing positioning. Just like last season when everyone was screaming he wanted a trade and then he came out publicly saying he wanted to be a Hawk, this is people getting riled up on internet rumors.

Ferry knows all of this. Josh and his agent do as well. All I've heard from the media is regurgitated or impossible information. I believe Josh will be here in a week and he'll sign in the offseason for a contract similar to what I just posted. It just makes financial sense.

Isn't this season the season that Josh is pretty much unleashed to be a Harden? The top two offensive options in Crawford and JJ are gone. Josh has shot 116 more times than anyone else on the team - a difference of roughly 16%. Unfortunately Josh has a .495 ts% at PF compared to Harden's .600 ts% at SG.

Bubble busted. You didn't have to do him like that, A.I love Josh to death, but the max talk is just silly. There has to be someone on Earth that can get him to realize how much his pathetic free throw shooting negatively affects his whole game. Ferry, Drew, his dad, Hubie Brown, Dominique, just lock all of em into the Philips boardroom and pound him until he gets it. Hell, I'm sure his momma know he shouldn't be shooting long jumpers when he misses two free throws so frequently.
  • Like 1

Camp, we don't know what the starting salary for Josh could be until the NBA calculates the basketball related income for this season. That won't come out until July, but his maximum starting salary would be 30% of the salary cap like you said.Currently, that would be roughly $17.4 million as of right now. Your numbers are off because it appears you compounded the raises while raises are only simple. The contracts would look like:

Year 1: $17.4 mil $17.4 mil

Year 2: $18.705 mil $18.183 mil

Year 3: $20.01 mil $18.966 mil

Year 4: $21.315 mil $19.749 mil

Year 5: $22.62 mil (new contract)

Total: $100.05 mil $74.298 mil

Camp, we don't know what the starting salary for Josh could be until the NBA calculates the basketball related income for this season. That won't come out until July, but his maximum starting salary would be 30% of the salary cap like you said.Currently, that would be roughly $17.4 million as of right now. Your numbers are off because it appears you compounded the raises while raises are only simple. The contracts would look like:

Year 1: $17.4 mil $17.4 mil

Year 2: $18.705 mil $18.183 mil

Year 3: $20.01 mil $18.966 mil

Year 4: $21.315 mil $19.749 mil

Year 5: $22.62 mil (new contract)

Total: $100.05 mil $74.298 mil

Makes perfect sense, the concept and difference is still very similar. And I know that about next year's cap figure based on salary but often times we complicate things a bit much as it is.

The real issue is people throw things out like (20 million per) and its not entirely accurate depending on what you are looking at. Another team's best offer never quite hits 20 mil in any season where the Hawks offer could average that but only if they completely maxed which is silly. Josh is a very good player and should get paid but anything close to the Hawks version of the max is silly.

When you aren't dealing max numbers each year could be about anything year to year. a gradual 14-18 million graduated with a 1 mil raise per year would put him 16 per but extremely cap friendly the next 2 seasons given our roster.

And the real sell for Josh is the idea that if he gives them the hometown discount they can really get better talent. Dwight, resign of Kyle etc all become possible but it all begins and ends with Josh. If we trade him for some magic beans, then all of our cap friendly deals are now for naught.

And the real sell for Josh is the idea that if he gives them the hometown discount they can really get better talent. Dwight, resign of Kyle etc all become possible but it all begins and ends with Josh. If we trade him for some magic beans, then all of our cap friendly deals are now for naught.

16 million is neither cap friendly nor a hometown discount. He needs to be taking a deal in the range of what Al is making per season since they're equal players. I might give him 13 million flat but no more than that and that's more than reasonable and allows us room to get a true max player like Dwight or a player like Al Jefferson around that 12-13 million plus re-sign Korver for 5 million.

• Premium Member

Lang Greene Lang Whitaker writes for GQ and conducted a predictably softball Q&A with Employee #5.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2013/02/atlantas-all-star-in-absentia-a-gqa-with-josh-smith.html

(snippet...)

~lw3

I read the title of this thread and knew who started it without having to look Posted Image

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1