James Johnson signs with Hawks

LamarHampton

• Moderators

I'm too lazy to regurgitate, so just a copy-and-paste from the earlier thread:

I'm a James Johnson fan (you definitely want him on your side if the Octagon ever drops), but I agree we don't need any more guaranteed contracts at forward unless they can swing to the SG spot. James can play SF too, but doesn't have the jumper you'd want at that position, plus DeMarre is already adequate as a defensive 3.

He was as disappointing last season as any summer 2012 acquisition (at least, among those who actually played). Some of that was the coaching, but his defensive effort and shooting completely collapsed on a team that literally tried to hand him the starting SF spot.

If he makes the training camp roster, I can only assume it's to push Mike Scott for that final roster spot.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 1

I think is a good addition, he can provide depth at wing. I guess this could also mean Cunningham will be gone, not necesarily Mike Scott, their skill set are different.

Teague/Schröder

Jenkins/Lou

Korver/Carroll/Johnson

Milsap/Scott/Antić

Horford/Brand/Ayón

13 players. Korver can play SG also with Carroll or Johnson at SF, those are skill sets that complement well. Johnson provides size and defense at the wing that are much needed on our team.

• Moderators

Why are we not signing Mike Scott?

Mike's "signed," technically. His contract was $100k guaranteed in mid-August. To unlock the rest of the $689k he'll have to lock down the final spot.

Also "signed" is ShMack, but unlike Scott's, his contract is fully unguaranteed with no guarantee date. He's sort of the failsafe if something happens to Teague and Schröder needs a backup. But if Royal impresses, and if it's a wash among the free agent forwards, Mack's status would become more tenuous than Scott's.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 1